Another Telecaster build down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Telecaster build down

I wanted a double bound tele like the one Fender built for John 5, but the Fender model weighs a ton (hard Ash), and has questionable build quality (I owned one). I also wanted two humbuckers, and when Fender finally did the guitar correct, it was released as a Squire.

So what is one supposed to do?

Why build your own of course! I have wanted to build a guitar from scratch for some time just so I can say I did it. However, I can tell you that just ordering up a quality body that is ready for finish is the way to go. I am glad I did it, but it sure is time consuming (I did not build the neck however). Pardon some of the pics, I used my phone and some are better than others.

I bought the lightest board of clean Alder I could find, and that was enough to produce two body blanks.

Templates I made using one of my Tele bodies.

First pass...

Flip and repeat.

Block it flat

Route some holes

More holes

The way I do binding is melting scraps of binding in Acetone, and then using the "goop" as the glue. You have little chance of gaps this way as the goop bonds to the binding strips.

Lots of scraping later...

Wash, rinse, repeat.

Last edited by Ayrton; 07-11-2014, 06:54 AM.
    -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
    “Practice cures most tone issues”

Re: Another Telecaster build down

Then the body has to sit on the shelf for at least a year while you debate the color and order the rest of the parts . Finally you decide on a light metal flake black as to not be a total clone... I went with "Black Magic Pearl" (thanks Mike!)

I watched the Warmoth showcase until the right neck came along (birdseye/ebony)

You can kinda see the flake in this pic. I will have to get some pics outside to really show it off. Yes, I used a Fender logo, save your whining.

I finished it up tonight, and once everything settles I will refine and intonate it.

Last edited by Ayrton; 07-08-2014, 11:48 PM.
    -Chris

Comment

Amazing work!!!

Comment

Want!!! Minus the binding.
        https://www.rockstockpedals.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Ayrton View Post
          I wanted a double bound tele like the one Fender built for John 5, but the Fender model weighs a ton (hard Ash), and has questionable build quality (I owned one). I also wanted two humbuckers, and when Fender finally did the guitar correct, it was released as a Squire.
          I haven't seen that one. I do have a few of the Squier Bullet Teles that were H-S (but routed for H-H), as far as I can tell they only came in metallic orange and 2TSB.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
          @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Dang Ayrton,

that's some pretty awesome work.

Is that lacquer? Did you clear coat it?
            Originally Posted by IanBallard
            Rule of thumb... the more pot you have, the better your tone.

Comment

www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

Originally posted by GuitarDoc View Post
                Dang Ayrton,

that's some pretty awesome work.

Is that lacquer? Did you clear coat it?
                Pat Wilkins did the paint in urethane. http://www.wilkinsguitars.com/
                -Chris

Comment

VERY Nice Looking Tele - two thumb up mate !

Did you use the John 5 model as inspiration ?

Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

. . . . ermmm, never mind - i saw this now, in the OPEN YOUR EYES section
                    Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

lol... Yeah, I loved the look of the John's guitar, and I picked up one of the MIM models on the cheap a couple of years ago, but that thing weighed in at like 13 pounds!

So it was buy the Squire or do without. Not that there is anything wrong with the Squire, but this was an excuse to build it like I wanted.
                      -Chris

Comment

I was going to take some pics outside today, but it is overcast. This pic gives you an idea of the color, and you can see how thin Pat painted it as well.

-Chris

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post

. . . . ermmm, never mind - i saw this now, in the OPEN YOUR EYES section
                          Hey, I missed it too.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                          @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Another Telecaster build down

Dude, that came out awesome!! Nice job!

Did I miss it in your post, but which pickups are those?
                            Last edited by mojosman; 07-09-2014, 01:44 PM. Reason: ommitted question

Comment

Nice build! I personally love the work that goes into body building but I'll admit it's time consuming!

Words are cheap, let your fingers do the talking
                              Speak through your fingers. Let your heart play, not your mind.

Comment

Working...
                              X