No announcement yet.

Anybody have or use a Fender S1 switch?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anybody have or use a Fender S1 switch?

Is it basically a Push/push knob but just built differently? Also does anyone have a spare or one their not using that I could get from them? I didn't want to shell out $30 for just one and figure I could buy one off of somebody here.
    Originally posted by KBliss
    WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
    Originally posted by trevorus
    The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Re: Anybody have or use a Fender S1 switch?

It is a push push knob, and I use mine to split 2 humbuckers at once on a Music Man SUB1. I don't have an extra, but I have to say, if your guitar uses Strat-style knobs, it is the coolest switch ever. Much better than push pull, which are hard to grab on Strats, or a regular push push, which has never impressed me with their quality. The reason they are so expensive is because Fender is the only one that makes it, so they can charge what they want. I got mine on Ebay, and I think I paid about $25 total for the switch, the knob and cap (all sold separately- blah).
    Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

FWIW - I found out the hard way that having any custom component/pot made costs $25 - $50 per unit if the volume of the run is low. I had a run of concentric long-shaft 500k and pan/blend 500k long shaft pots for some Les Paul experiments and that's about what it was per unit.

Comment

The S-1 is a 4 pole/2 throw, so it's like two push/pulls in a single button. One cool thing I did with one, which can't be done with a typical push pull, is split three rails (or tap three coils) with a single action. I also think they're more ergonomic than a push/pull, and they look cool, IMO. They are expensive and having to buy the plastic parts separately is annoying, but it's worth it for the benefits.

Comment

My American Deluxe Strat has the S1 switching system. I think that it's a pretty cool idea, but so far I don't care for the tone with the switch pushed-in. Too dark and compressed. I much prefer the normal strat tones in terms of clarity and timbre. Not exactly sure what the switch comes wired from the factory to do. But would like to maybe alter it to do something different than what it does. I do like the noiseless SCN pickups though. I've got another Strat that I wouldn't mind putting the same pickguard on if I can find a prewired one for sale.
          "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Label View Post
            My American Deluxe Strat has the S1 switching system. I think that it's a pretty cool idea, but so far I don't care for the tone with the switch pushed-in. Too dark and compressed. I much prefer the normal strat tones in terms of clarity and timbre. Not exactly sure what the switch comes wired from the factory to do. But would like to maybe alter it to do something different than what it does. I do like the noiseless SCN pickups though. I've got another Strat that I wouldn't mind putting the same pickguard on if I can find a prewired one for sale.
            It puts pickups in different combinations of series with each other, so that they're hot like humbuckers. It's good for a "lead boost" type of thing, but you're limited to the sound of pickup combination. I think using the S-1 switch to split three hotter humbuckers, such as Hot Rails or DiMarzio's hot rail models creates a Strat that truly does everything with very little compromise, because you get single coil or humbucker tone with all five standard pickup selector modes. If I'm going on vacation and have to choose one guitar to take with me, I'll take a three humbucker Strat with the ability to split all three pickups. When I was performing, my main Strat was wired that way, with three Little '59's.

Comment

I have the S-1 switch on my Lonestar deluxe strat. It sounds great and works very well too. I refuse to use little toggle switches on a strat as its not my thing. The S-1 switch on my guitar just splits the humbucker and the standerd 5 way still assigns the pickups wether they be split or not. Ya I really like it. Its on the volume knob and very handy when I want to split the humbucker.....just press the top of the volume knob in and its split. easy, simple, and fast and thats what I want when I am trying to focus on playing instead of looking down to search for a little toggle switch when I want to split my tone in the middle of a song....I have had this setup before on a Kramer I used to have and I hated it. The S-1 switch is slick and worth every penny to me. All my future strats will have it too.

Comment

I have never seen an S1 switch
                But if it's a push push pot
                I got.one.from mojotone

*(Sent from my durned phone!)*
                EHD
                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I have a push/push pot installed already but broke it when I tried to take the knob off so now it just stays in the up position. So instead of buying another one or a push/pull i'd figure i'll go with the S1 switch to replace it. Unless I find a deal or come into some cash it will probably be a couple months before I can get it.
                  Originally posted by KBliss
                  WELCOME TO THE FORUM! Make sure you spend more time playing than you do on this forum. That's our sickness.
                  Originally posted by trevorus
                  The revolutionaries become the bureaucrats the day after the revolution is over...

Comment

Originally posted by Rockstar216 View Post
                    Is it basically a Push/push knob but just built differently? Also does anyone have a spare or one their not using that I could get from them? I didn't want to shell out $30 for just one and figure I could buy one off of somebody here.
                    I don't know what's best, I thought I would install a "push-pull" switch on my new Stratocaster to activate the three pickups at once, but if a good quality switch comes out for a similar price I'd probably install an S1 that I suppose is more comfortable to be just "push-push".

Comment

I have one on one of my Strat pickguards (the stock one.) I like it a lot; I under-use it to only split the bridge humbucker.

...That said. I've heard the stock Deluxe wiring has the S1 circuitry wired in a way where individual pickups sound worse through it, although that is correctable by removing a wire somewhere? Any truth to that? Mine had the wiring butchered when I got it, so I was never able to try it with the stock S1 selections.
                      Originally posted by King Buzzo
                      I love when people come up to me and say “Your guitar sound was better on Stoner Witch, when you used a Les Paul. “...I used a Fender Mustang reissue on that, dumbass!

Comment

if your guitar uses Strat-style knobs, it is the coolest switch ever. Much better than push pull, which are hard to grab on Strats, or a regular push push, which has never impressed me with their quality.
                        I fixed this by supergluing a bottle cap on top of regular strat knob. Using push/pull is now ease, and it's much more accurate than regular strat knob. Looks cool too, if you select one with cool logo...
                        but you're limited to the sound of pickup combination. I think using the S-1 switch to split three hotter humbuckers, such as Hot Rails or DiMarzio's hot rail models creates a Strat that truly does everything with very little compromise, because you get single coil or humbucker tone with all five standard pickup selector modes.
                        I prefer the strat pickups in series. They make very good overdriven growl when balanced right. But I don't think you can get that clean sparkle from halved bucker.

S-1 seems very interesting concept.
                        "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                        Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

See, I don't think singles in series sounds very good. There is no attack, and you can't really play any chords other than basic power chords without it sounding super muddy. In any case, I still use my S1 switch- it is a really cool idea that is invisible until you need it.

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
                            See, I don't think singles in series sounds very good. There is no attack, and you can't really play any chords other than basic power chords without it sounding super muddy. In any case, I still use my S1 switch- it is a really cool idea that is invisible until you need it.
                            Having no attack is what i'd thought about every covered humbucker i've tried (not too many though), I haven't noticed anything similar with series singles. And I think muddiness is most likely caused by strats tone circuit and 250k pots.

I posted about this earlier, but there's no hint of series muddiness in my strat; that has SSL-7, SSL-5, SSl-1 setup, 500k pots, and subtle tone circuitry (switchable small caps behind a resistor).
                            "So understand/Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years/Face up, make your stand/And realize you're living in the golden years"
                            Iron Maiden - Wasted Years

Comment

Oh I believe it...
                              I have a 1982 'The Strat', which has several series combinations stock. All are pretty muddy with no attack at all. It uses 250k volume and 250k master tone for all pickups.

Comment

Working...
                              X