banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What pedal do you use for late 80s metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What pedal do you use for late 80s metal?

80s rock/metal tones really aren't that hard to cover with a pedal. I usually use an OCD type pedal for that now as my amps are set up a little thicker.

Comment

Late 80's metal? Like Queensryche and Warrant?

Everyone was using ADA MP-1 preamps in the late 80's... the early 80's was a different type of gear... and the mid 80's was yet another.
      Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Originally posted by zenmindbeginner View Post
        Late 80's metal? Like Queensryche and Warrant?

Everyone was using ADA MP-1 preamps in the late 80's... the early 80's was a different type of gear... and the mid 80's was yet another.
        Very True!

Early was Marshall 800's turned up + Hot pickups

Mid was about Marshall + Rat pedals etc…

Late was modded Soldano's and whatnot or preamps + Lexicon or SP90's
        Originally posted by Bad City
        He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
          Very True!

Early was Marshall 800's turned up + Hot pickups

Mid was about Marshall + Rat pedals etc…

Late was modded Soldano's and whatnot or preamps + Lexicon or SP90's

I agree with Ace, I had a Marshall Silver Anniversary jcm 800 half stack and a Gibson Explorer that sounded great together. At lower volumes I used a boss overdrive to give it a little extra edge. At higher volumes I just played it straight up put the tone at around 7 and it sounded punchy and righteous. It was however at that point-peel the paint off the walls loud-to get that tone. everyone also used a boss chorus or delay. some used flange but most didnt. Reverb pedals again most were boss becouse they were everywhere. A lot of people used Roland Jazz Chorus for cleans but there were also alot of used Fender twins and super reverbs from the 70's floating around. Yamaha made a rack mount effect processor that no one could afford but everyone wanted to have cuz it was considered cool, cant remember what it was called......somthing like the yamaha 1000? cant remember now but ya I had all my stuff by 1984 and it was all Van Halen, Judist Priest, Scorpions, Def Leppard, Quiet Riot, Ozzy....ext. you could get those tones right from your Marshall. You could plug right into the the head and get Krokus's Midnight Maniac sound or Judis Priests livin after midnight tone. It was kinda .......Presto just add Marshall to get a gig

Comment

It all depends.. Do you want what they actually used or what is the best nowadays?

The MI Audio Crunchbox will get in the ballpark. The Carl Martin Plexitone is what I use a lot for that kinda tone. It does everything from AC/DC to heavy high gain Marshall sounds. Get the 2 channel version with boost. Its more raw sounding. The Wampler Pinnacle does the Van Halen thing, though I prefer the Plextortion. Its a bit more allround imo. Distortion+ is cool too, if you are in to that kind of sound The Suhr Riot is cool as well, but its a bit more modern sounding imo.

Comment

I like the Guvnor a lot. The new one sounds pretty good as well, in my opinion. Or even the Drivemaster.

Comment

I guess the HM-2 could do 80s:

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Working...
                X