banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What pedal do you use for late 80s metal?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What pedal do you use for late 80s metal?

Originally posted by GuitarStv View Post
    If we're being really honest, you need a delay and a bad chorus for 80s metal.
    +1

I have some cheap beat-to-hell DOD chorus box I got for $20 at GC, and it NAILS that generic, too prominent and overly wet '80s chorus.

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
      +1

I have some cheap beat-to-hell DOD chorus box I got for $20 at GC, and it NAILS that generic, too prominent and overly wet '80s chorus.
      Is yours the 460? I think that is the pinnacle of 80's chorus

Comment

<----- rack mount version

<----- fit for an 80's tone
        Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
          Marshall Vintage Modern (Hi dynamic range) + RAT = works for me

. . . JUST ADD A RAT !
          Aren't rodent's wonderful? Just ask Aceman!

I've had a Rat pedal since about 1986.

I've got a pinnacle and a riot. Both fine choices into a clean Fender style amp.

There's lots of ways to get that hot-rodded Marshall thing going. You probably should also consider the Bogner Red.

Comment

for what was actually used in the 80s, most everything mentioned here will get the job done. I'd throw an old DS1 in the mix too, just for good measure.

for new pedals that get the sound, i like the plextortion and the riot, although the plextortion did not have as much gain as i thought it would. the pinnacle is cool, but a lot looser in the lows than the plextortion. i liked the mad professor 1 and mighty red and the emma reezafratzits, and oddly enough i found a boss combo drive with the gain maxed had a cool nasally 80s vibe.

the real question is what 80s tones are you going for? EVH? Rhoads? Ratt? Motley Crue? Zakk Wylde? Skid Row? All 80s, all different.
            Quality riffs in about a minute...
            https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

I was always into Marshalls with a Boss OD-1 back in the day, and it was a superb tone. I never believed in distortion pedals, only OD pedals in front of gainy amps.

But now, almost 30 years later, I think of how spoiled we are. If we had Bogner, Wampler, Fulltone, Klon, Way Huge, Catalinbread, and all the good modern stuff, we would have thrown those Boss's, Rats, and Ibanez pedals in the garbage! That's what caused rack gear to take off.
              Originally posted by Boogie Bill
              I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

Originally posted by superpete View Post
                for what was actually used in the 80s, most everything mentioned here will get the job done. I'd throw an old DS1 in the mix too, just for good measure.

for new pedals that get the sound, i like the plextortion and the riot, although the plextortion did not have as much gain as i thought it would. the pinnacle is cool, but a lot looser in the lows than the plextortion. i liked the mad professor 1 and mighty red and the emma reezafratzits, and oddly enough i found a boss combo drive with the gain maxed had a cool nasally 80s vibe.

the real question is what 80s tones are you going for? EVH? Rhoads? Ratt? Motley Crue? Zakk Wylde? Skid Row? All 80s, all different.

HEY, what about GUNS N' F@$£ ROSES, Poison, Cinderella and White Snake
                Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                  I never believed in distortion pedals, only OD pedals in front of gainy amps.
                  I played a Fender in the 80's a distortion box was a must!

Comment

Originally posted by Securb View Post
                    I played a Fender in the 80's

And you expect us to take you seriously on this subject now?

Actually, I played an Old Peavey Classic. All Tube, 65 watts w/ Tremolo and Reverb. So I used the items mentioned previously. High five on big clean amp plus a box or three to cop Scorpions, Maiden, or Def Lep as appropriate/needed!!!!
                    Originally posted by Bad City
                    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
                      HEY, what about GUNS N' F@$£ ROSES, Poison, Cinderella and White Snake
                      We don't do GnR, however…

Poison - Chorus + Short metallic delay. Slather it on like the makeup.
                      Cinderella - Dry guitar actually…touch of reverb
                      Whitesnake - Low level slap on one guitar, long delay on leads with subtle bad chorus.
                      Originally posted by Bad City
                      He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I played a Fender in the 80's a distortion box was a must!
                        I'm not a fan of stacked pickups - but I remember fondly running a hot stack into a pearl distortion and dimed solid state Marshall combo. It was a good sound.

Comment

Originally posted by Gearjoneser View Post
                          I was always into Marshalls with a Boss OD-1 back in the day, and it was a superb tone. I never believed in distortion pedals, only OD pedals in front of gainy amps.

But now, almost 30 years later, I think of how spoiled we are. If we had Bogner, Wampler, Fulltone, Klon, Way Huge, Catalinbread, and all the good modern stuff, we would have thrown those Boss's, Rats, and Ibanez pedals in the garbage! That's what caused rack gear to take off.
                          thats what i'm talking about. i have a rat, a ds1, an hm2, and an ibanez metal charger, but they can't compare with the modern stuff. actually i take that back, it's a different beast. Those pedals are great for kicking in a jcm800. but it's 2014. you can get a get cranked marshall sound without cranking your marshall. or even owning one!

is it heresy to say that warrant's cherry pie had my favorite huge 80s guitar tone?
                          Quality riffs in about a minute...
                          https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2B...Y3EewvQ/videos

Comment

MI Audio Crunchbox gets a decent 80's Marshall-in-a-box tone.

Comment

Boss HM-2 (MIJ) something about dialing in the high that cuts it for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk -& All Round Nice Guy.

Comment

Is yours the 460? I think that is the pinnacle of 80's chorus

It's this one:

Click image for larger version

Name:	m_dodsuperstereochorusfx68_1045.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.1 KB
ID:	5780117

Comment

Working...
                                X