Vitamin Q 0.022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vitamin Q 0.022

So a 0.022s a 0.022s a 0.022 right? I'm not so sure anymore, sure i think it's fair to say that the change in materials used will effect the tone! I have a polyester film cap sprague 0.22 a ceramic disk cap (RadioShack) 0.022 and a Russian NOS PIO 0.022 and a Vitamin Q nos pio and I can almost promise you everyone here will pick the Vitamin Q
    god my neighbors must hate me

Re: Vitamin Q 0.022

I'm the opposite. I would throw out the ceramic disc. Any of the others, as long as the value was in tolerance would be just fine.

Comment

In reality, a capacitor's actual value and tolerance makes a difference (a generally small one though) much more than capacitor type (which I consider to be negligible). If you want to change something about the tone control, change the parts based on their values, tapers, and tolerances. fc=1/(2πRC) doesn't change because you used a ceramic disk capacitor instead of an orange drop capacitor. A resistor measuring 17 Kilohms and a capacitor measuring .001 microfarads is always going to have a frequency cutoff of 9360Hz, regardless if the capacitor is paper-in-oil, sprague, orange drop, etc. I very much doubt anyone can truly hear a difference between capacitor types in a double-blind test scenario.

Comment

The problem I found with the cheap ceramics is that they don't discharge consistently, so effectively the value is constantly changing, which in turn does something really muddy to the resulting sound. In my testing, it somehow managed to blur detail in the notes of chords being played.

So basically I throw them out, not because they are ceramic, but because they are practically defective.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
          The problem I found with the cheap ceramics is that they don't discharge consistently, so effectively the value is constantly changing, which in turn does something really muddy to the resulting sound. In my testing, it somehow managed to blur detail in the notes of chords being played.

So basically I throw them out, not because they are ceramic, but because they are practically defective.
          I've never had that problem. But I don't buy capacitors from Radioshack (whose parts just suck no matter what - I think their parts are unreliable).

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
            I very much doubt anyone can truly hear a difference between capacitor types in a double-blind test scenario. [/FONT]
            This...

I buy Sprague or Mallory, whatever is cheaper and in stock.
            -Chris

Originally posted by John Suhr
            “Practice cures most tone issues”

Comment

Originally posted by WhoGivesAPluck View Post
              sure i think it's fair to say that the change in materials used will effect the tone!
              The signal that goes through the cap is sent to ground and is not part of your audio, So how can the materials effect tone?
              "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
              you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                The signal that goes through the cap is sent to ground and is not part of your audio, So how can the materials effect tone?
                In theory, the tonal goodness would owe to what the capacitor doesn't send to ground, but I think the fact of knowing you're putting a big, more expensive, vintage correct and/or more attractive electrical component in your guitar does far more to inform perception than the actual sound differences.

If there really is a difference, I just wish the people who claim there is a difference could do better than "I definitely hear a a difference!" and explain a) what the difference is, and b) the technical nature of the difference, because then we could at least agree that there is a difference at all, and move on to the more mundane issue of whether that difference is worth $5.

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
                  In theory, the tonal goodness would owe to what the capacitor doesn't send to ground
                  Yeah you can call it a theory but thats not how it works.

But I do agree that people "want" to hear a difference after they spend 15 bucks for a cap.

You can find many times people describe the difference but its usually in extremely vague terms like "more naturally organic highs"
                  "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                  you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

This discussion occurs regularly and is almost always polarising. I have a slightly different take on things ....

If you're upgrading a cheap, unspectacular guitar on the cheap, it's probably not worth investing $10-20 for a tone cap that may not make any audible difference to your ears. However, once someone is looking at upgrading a good guitar with expensive pickups, it's usually logical to make sure that the pots and wiring are also up to a good standard, so one might then spend more on new pots, wiring harness, switches etc. After all, if you invest in $200-300 pickups, it would be silly to compromise them by using poor quality pots, switches and wiring, surely ?

At that point, it's not a big deal to invest in a very good tone cap, so that regardless of what the conventional wisdom may be, and regardless of what you think you hear, you know you've installed the best cap along with the best pots, switches, wiring and pickups.

All my guitars have Sprague Vitamin Q caps. Can i hear the difference ? I don't know, the caps were installed at times when the guitars got new pickups and improved electronics. But i sleep fine at night knowing my guitars have the best parts in them, no compromises have been made, they sound brilliant and there is no need for further consideration; now i can simply play them.

And considering each guitar probably had $300+ spent on upgrades, $10 for a tone cap is a very small percentage of the total, so in my mind, the bad decision would have been to NOT upgrade the cap.

No doubt most people will not agree with my approach and would prefer to continue debating the issue. Personally i think it's worth $10 to just move beyond that and get back to playing.

For those who'd prefer to continue debating, just get some Wima red-box caps. Cheap and virtually boutique.
                    Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
                      And considering each guitar probably had $300+ spent on upgrades, $10 for a tone cap is a very small percentage of the total, so in my mind, the bad decision would have been to NOT upgrade the cap.
                      That sounds a lot like sunk-cost fallacy; "because I've already spent a lot, I might as well spend a little more", but a waste of money is still a waste of money.

It's probably more accurate to say that if you have enough disposable income to blow on an expensive guitar, then you can probably afford to gamble another $50 on upgrades that might or might not make any difference.

Another not-entirely-bad reason to only upgrade an expensive guitar is because if the guitar is otherwise vintage correct, with nitro finish, steel hardware, correct lumber, etc. , then there's something to be said for completeness and authenticity.

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
                        That sounds a lot like sunk-cost fallacy; "because I've already spent a lot, I might as well spend a little more", but a waste of money is still a waste of money.
                        It's just my opinion and attitude (which i indicated at the start of my previous post), an opinion which is no less valid than yours. What you consider to be a waste of money may not be considered that way by others. As i've said, in my own cases, it would have been a potential waste of money NOT to have invested a few percent more when making costly upgrades. I prefer to go into a guitar once, upgrade once to the highest level, and then get back to what it's all about .... playing. I'm not a guitar scientist, and don't want to be.

As for " It's probably more accurate to say ..." .... ummm .... i was expressing my own views, so i'm not sure how youy can tell me, or anyone else, what is a more accurate version of their/my own thoughts.

Unless of course you feel you know better than everybody else.

You might like to tell us about your experiences auditioning tone caps of various materials instead of the usual nit-picking, penny-scrimping stance you usually assume. i.e. an opinion of your own, rather than telling me that my opinion "could be more accurate".

Or you could post some clips of your playing that will convince us that we would be wise to abandon our own experiences, opinions and ways of doing things because your ways are simply better than anybody elses and it shows in your amazing playing and tone.

Or quite simply post anything that gives people some reason to give any credit to what you have to say, rather than telling people that their own opinions/thoughts/ways/experiences are misguided and probably wrong.
                        Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

Spending more on a cap for better tolerance is a fine idea +/- %1 , %5 and %10 are a pretty large difference. Yet again I will say what they are made of , notsomuch. Double blind test , no one in this universe can tell which is which. Things that are undetectable to the human ear get a lot of talk in online forums.
                          Originally posted by Oinkus
                          I had Big Flannel over here the other night , cleaned up his Tele and did some setup on it , took out the camera and set it down on the desk. I am easily distrac

Comment

Big round of applause for Crusty.
                             Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
                              As i've said, in my own cases, it would have been a potential waste of money NOT to have invested a few percent more when making costly upgrades. I prefer to go into a guitar once, upgrade once to the highest level, and then get back to what it's all about .... playing. I'm not a guitar scientist, and don't want to be.
                              I did not say your opinion is invalid, but this is what it comes down to: whether or not the capacitor dielectric, makes a difference in tone or not, is not a matter of opinion. Some people believe the dielectric type makes a difference the human ear can detect, some believe it doesn't, but ultimately one side must right and the other must be wrong, we just don't know who is right and who is wrong at thus juncture, and it is a financial gamble to put forth any extra money when there is no certainty of benefit.

That being what it is, from what I've read, it's the view of electricians that the difference in capacitor dielectric mostly matters in high-voltage scenarios, and was more of a concern back when vacuum tubes were much more common.

Comment

Working...
                              X