Vitamin Q 0.022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vitamin Q 0.022

I've never had that problem. But I don't buy capacitors from Radioshack (whose parts just suck no matter what - I think their parts are unreliable).
    I've been using Radio Shack parts since before you were born, sonny, and they've never sucked...dag nabbit!

Comment

Before he was born, Radio Shack was ok. I bought an International-branded Mullard 10M 12AX7A there that I still use and is the best sounding pre-tube I've ever owned. Nowadays, however, RS is not much of a resource for parts.

Comment

RS is not much of a resource for parts.
        That may be true, but if I'm in need of one resistor or cap to fix an amp that's on the bench, and they have it at the local Shack, which is 5 minutes away, I'm getting it there. Mouser's carbon film resistors aren't any better than Radio Shack's. Same goes for diodes, wire, solder, various caps, some switches, etc...

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	FakeCapacitor1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	5780129
          Originally posted by Funkfingers
          Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

Please stop defending Radioshack.

They are a company of swindlers and cheats. Unless you're buying a cell phone with those capacitors they don't care about your business. They would rather lose the profit margin, (a high profit margin), from parts in exchange for more high cost, low quality, low margin items than admit that they made a mistake when "reinvigorating" their brand.
             Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

the concept of dropping your own money for something that makes you comfortable is something many people can get behind. StarKist may cost more than the store brand, but some people don't mind paying a few more cents. Same difference. Whoever plays it or eats it is the one paying for it and if they are ok with it an happy with it, what's the difference to anyone else.

Sent from my armored space station via iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Please stop defending Radioshack.

They are a company of swindlers and cheats.
                Sorry to beat a dead horse here, but I'm just going on my experience with my local store. The same guy has been running it for at least 15 years or more and he's always seemed appreciative of my business. I've never had a problem with any of their parts, either.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianS. View Post
                  Sorry to beat a dead horse here, but I'm just going on my experience with my local store. The same guy has been running it for at least 15 years or more and he's always seemed appreciative of my business. I've never had a problem with any of their parts, either.
                  you are lucky then, buddy. that kinda radio shack experience is the exception to the rule these days.

Comment

Originally posted by BrianS. View Post
                    In that case, your local store is most definitely a franchise location. You are lucky, indeed.

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
                      the concept of dropping your own money for something that makes you comfortable is something many people can get behind. StarKist may cost more than the store brand, but some people don't mind paying a few more cents. Same difference. Whoever plays it or eats it is the one paying for it and if they are ok with it an happy with it, what's the difference to anyone else.

Sent from my armored space station via iPad using Tapatalk
                      Maybe he's prepping for the next batch of elected officials to mandate that he needs to provide crusty's caps.

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
                        What I disagree with specifically here is where the word "quality" is used here, and the logic that follows from that premise. I've Googled around to figure out what makes Sprague Vitamin Q Paper in Oil Capacitors of a higher quality than caps of other dielectrics, and I can only find info suggesting they are high quality in relation to other PIO caps with regard to their construction, but nothing to suggest they are higher quality with respect to sound, or in relation to ceramic or other types of caps.

I would agree that, as an experiment, $4 is cheap, but you're not conducting an experiment when you do something as a matter of routine.

And when you talk about "small percentage of the overall cost", suck-cost-fallacy does enter the discussion, because you're saying that the size of a prior investment serves as the justification for further investment into uncertain outcomes.

When you post something on a forum, you should expect that people will read what you write and respond with their own contrasting opinion and views. This is the only forum where I ever seen a plurality go to such great lengths to shape the discourse, and enforce a particular kind of propriety when it comes to how people respond, and what they respond to. Apparently in this forum, it's OK to call someone "captain obvious", but it's not OK to challenge someone's opinion. It's somewhat bizarre, to be honest.

Ultimately, this is substantive, on topic conversation. The merits of spending extra money on guitar components is very worthwhile topic and appropriate for a message board such as this.
                        I don't normally pay $140 for a TS clone, but I'll give this one a try since it's SD and has the three bad EQ.
                        I hope it didn't have any of those expensive caps and other bits in there. It might ruin your sound.
                        You could probably swap out the chip for something cheaper though.
                        Seems like a high price to pay for a handfull of bits.
                        sigpic

- http://www.soundclick.com/bands/defa...?bandID=804435 -
                        - https://soundcloud.com/mr-ds-bigband/tracks -

Warning: May contain traces of NUTS

Comment

Vitamin Q 0.022

Originally posted by Big Flannel View Post
                          Maybe he's prepping for the next batch of elected officials to mandate that he needs to provide crusty's caps.
                          Oh snap!

Or maybe an OEM provider that can convince everyone of the added value of putting another hand in the purse.

And what's up with the chip in that new pedal. First it was like the original chip used and them it was changed to another chip? Did both versions have enough time in focus groups.

Comment

Originally posted by darthphineas View Post
                            Oh snap!

Or maybe an OEM provider that can convince everyone of the added value of putting another hand in the purse.

And what's up with the chip in that new pedal. First it was like the original chip used and them it was changed to another chip? Did both versions have enough time in focus groups.
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	rvKFwxD.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	5780131

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenVulture View Post
                              I hope it didn't have any of those expensive caps and other bits in there. It might ruin your sound.
                              You could probably swap out the chip for something cheaper though.
                              Seems like a high price to pay for a handfull of bits.
                              This is funny, because a) you're criticizing my having bought a Seymour Duncan product b) unlike capacitors, it's a unique item, and c) I even stated it was an exceptional circumstance.

Comment

I don't see the humor.

Comment

Working...
                                X