Taylor versus Martin Acoustic Guitars

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Taylor versus Martin Acoustic Guitars

Never played a Martin in my life. But god all Taylors I have tried have been out of this world. Incredible build quality and tone. My GA3 will never leave me.
    Sorry I can't be more constructive!

Comment

I just went to a local shop 2 weeks ago and bought a new martin om-21. The shop had a ton of taylors but i never bothered trying one, may have been a mistake on my part but I've never been interested in them. my uncle has about 5 of them and swears up and down their great but I've never liked his that much. I guess I like tradition and nostalgia so it was martin all the way for me. By the way this om-21 i just got sounds amazing to my ears. I played it for my dad this last weekend and he's no guitar player and he thought it sounded great. I could see the look on his face when i was playing it, and the only other time i got that was when i brought my 65 super reverb over to his house and that put a smile on his face.

Comment

If you are seriously considering dropping some coin on a guitar I've got to give Falbo props. Killer sounding guitars with taylor-esque responsiveness and a deeper martin-esque meets gibson-esque tone.
        “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

Does anyone know the neck differences of these acoustic guitars? Listening to the new, more unknown brands on youtube and some nice stuff out there.

Comment

Taylor's necks tend towards feeling more like an electric guitar - thin and fast. Martins tend towards either a rounder neck, or a slight v profile. Larrivees are just... Comfortable.
            "Screw regulations. Bring the noise."

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
              I will be in the US again, from the 3rd of August.
              And will only get back home, late Feb. next year.
              So lets see what i can come back with

What is a good US price for the HD-28V these days ?
              The Minimum Advertised Price (or MAP) for a new HD-28V is $3499. You can often do a little bit better than MAP. I NEVER see used HD-28Vs for sale locally, though the used Standard HD-28s come up relatively often for $1700-2400.

Bill
              When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                The Minimum Advertised Price (or MAP) for a new HD-28V is $3499. You can often do a little bit better than MAP. I NEVER see used HD-28Vs for sale locally, though the used Standard HD-28s come up relatively often for $1700-2400.

Bill

Thank you Bill.

Yes, it is a V that i am lusting after.

I am leaving on a jet plane, don't know whe . . .

Well, if all goes well, i will be in the US at 1pm, 3rd of August touching down in Seattle.
                I will see what Seattle and Hawaii guitar stores have to offer.

It will probably be the same catch 22 for me . . . HD-28V or ES-330.

Lets see what i come home with
                Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

What'w the difference between the HD.......the V, etc?

Comment

The inlays are different on the Vintage, and the binding is ivoroid instead of white; top has a light vintage tint. Neck has a slight v-shape. Slightly upgraded woods. The Vintage has open-back tuners, I think made by Gotoh; the HD-28V uses Schaller I believe. The big difference is that while both have scalloped bracing, the Vintage has its bracing forward-shifted to one inch behind the sound hole. This makes the top "looser", giving more bass and volume, and a noticeably more responsive feel.

Check out the Martin website; they have detailed specs for all models.

Bill
                    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I noticed this thread is a little outdated, never the less this could help. We created an article comparing and reviewing Taylor and Martin guitars for different model range.
                      Please let me know what you think: https://www.themusicianlab.com/guitar/taylor-vs-martin/
                      Anything we are missing?

Comment

Interesting article, though I wish you'd done more to match price points and features at the various levels. BTW, there are several typos in the article, and some of the Amazon links do not match up to the guitars tested. Thanks for posting.

-----

It was also interesting to re-read this thread and my posts, three years later. What has changed for me? I have added four more Martin Dreads to my collection! They are:

HD-28V E Retro
                        D-18 E Retro (used)
                        D-41 (used, 2010)
                        Custom Shop Dread.

This guitar is basically a D-35 with Madagascar RW back and sides with a Cocobolo wedge, Koa binding, and an Italian Alpine Spruce top with HD-28 bracing (scalloped, not forward shifted). This was part of a custom run of 50 for Guitar Center; they call it a D-28 MC. No pickup. Turning out to be killer guitar. Spendy, but worth every penny.

The Retros use ths Fishman F1 Aura+ pickup system, and to my ear, it is by far the best and most natural pickup available. The D-18 version is built on the current D-18 acoustic platform, and the HD-28 V E Retro is built on the HD-28 V...but, with the wider and more comfortable (to me) Performing Artist Taper neck. I bought the -28 and then lucked out and found the used -18 for insanely cheap. A no-brainer. These are amazing guitars. I haven't gigged my Taylor 710-CE for over a year. I haven't even needed to delve into the deep programming of the F1+. Mixing the tone in my PA requires little of any EQ adjustment. I cannot recommend these guitars highly enough!

The D-41 came on my radar because of its low price from a private party and I was able to negotiate an even better deal. It has some dings, and it was filthy dirty when I got it, but it cleaned up spectacularly. The D-41 is essentially a blinged out HD-28, so not quite as open and responsive as the HD-28 Vintage models, but moreso than the Standard Series D-28. It is a beautiful sounding and playing instrument. I love the pearl...I can stare at it all day long.

One thing I have noticed with Taylor's is that they do not seem to hold their value as well as the comparable Martins. Perhaps because Taylor is constantly changjng specs; the older guitars become less desirable and take a beating in the used market. I've lost a lot on my Taylor 710-CE according to the various bluebooks, while my Standard Series Martins from 2002-2004 have all appreciated. Definitely something a new buyer should consider.

Bill

Comment

Still really want the 0-28V and 000-15SM I mentioned earlier in this thread!
                          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by jtougas View Post
                            Taylor's necks tend towards feeling more like an electric guitar - thin and fast. Martins tend towards either a rounder neck, or a slight v profile. Larrivees are just... Comfortable.
                            I agree although I think the Martin V profile is more comfortable than a Larrivee.

Comment

The right answer to this is to get one of each.

Or, do like I did, and get an Adamas, which is so radically different than either of them.
                              Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

I know wisdom when I hear it and you nailed it. Thanks for the info

Comment

Working...
                                X