"Anger of the Gods"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Anger of the Gods"

Some of you are familiar with my trials and tribulations in trying to get my CD finished.. Well.. I finished the first song.. LOL!!

Among the many piece of "kit" I used.. I used a Carvin guitar with Seymour Duncan "Custom Shop pickups" wound by MJ. The bridge is a "Wrath of the Lamb" pickup, and the neck is a "Viking" pickup. It's a swamp ash body neck thru ST300. I have threads in the Pickup Lounge on those pickups. For the amp.. I recorded a DI into my audio interface.. and then took the DI signal thru a DI box.. back out to a BFG Amps modified Jet City JCA22H. The gain was on 4. I am NOT KIDDING. LOL!! I took a speaker out send from the head thru a Red Box 5 then to a Randall isoCab and recorded the cab with an Audix i5. I blended the i5 with the Red Box 5 signal.. KILLER!!

Here's the link to the song video.. the song should be available SOON online just about everywhere..=)

http://youtu.be/8BucmEhUPB0

Rock on!!
    Peter

Re: "Anger of the Gods"

Looking forward to hearing this thru proper monitors.
    Your blending technique has me intrigued ...
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Just checked out the Red Box 5, and this looks like a must-have for me!
      Does the RB5 provide a load for your amp, of do you also need a speaker connected?

Comment

Never mind, the manual explicitly states the RB5 does not provide a load.
        Still, I want one! This box may solve a major dilemma I am having tracking guitars on my next album.

Comment

Glad you liked it. I began experimenting with the Red Box with a Tubemeister 18 which I own.. and was actually planning to use it for the CD with the Red Box out.. but this amp happened upon me.. and it's a slayer.. so it was what I used.. If you want to use the Red Box 5.. you WILL NEED a load for your amp.. BUT you can use the Red Box 5 alone for recording.. HOWEVER I would highly recommend using an IMPULSE response on the Red Box 5 signal in your DAW. It will sound awesome!! Without it.. it sounds good.. but it's missing something and does have a bit of "fizziness" under high gain.. Of course you can EQ it to death... but the Impulse Response does a great job on that. I have used the Red Wirez IRs.. I think my favorite is the Marshall 1960 4x12 with 75s and a PR40 mic at 0 deg.. that to me was the perfect balance.. experiment and have fun with it.

For the song/CD I am blending the the RED BOX sound with the isocab/i5 sound.. They compliment each other perfectly. One alone sounds too thin... or hollow.. but blended together it's full and delicious.. =)

Rock on!!

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
          Never mind, the manual explicitly states the RB5 does not provide a load.
          Still, I want one! This box may solve a major dilemma I am having tracking guitars on my next album.

Comment

Sounds cool.

Comment

Originally posted by PeterJCruz View Post
              Glad you liked it. I began experimenting with the Red Box with a Tubemeister 18 which I own.. and was actually planning to use it for the CD with the Red Box out.. but this amp happened upon me.. and it's a slayer.. so it was what I used.. If you want to use the Red Box 5.. you WILL NEED a load for your amp.. BUT you can use the Red Box 5 alone for recording.. HOWEVER I would highly recommend using an IMPULSE response on the Red Box 5 signal in your DAW. It will sound awesome!! Without it.. it sounds good.. but it's missing something and does have a bit of "fizziness" under high gain.. Of course you can EQ it to death... but the Impulse Response does a great job on that. I have used the Red Wirez IRs.. I think my favorite is the Marshall 1960 4x12 with 75s and a PR40 mic at 0 deg.. that to me was the perfect balance.. experiment and have fun with it.

For the song/CD I am blending the the RED BOX sound with the isocab/i5 sound.. They compliment each other perfectly. One alone sounds too thin... or hollow.. but blended together it's full and delicious.. =)

Rock on!!
              Thanks for the info. I will be using this the same way w the Randall iso cab. The difference being I have several amp and speaker and mic preamp combinations available.

My plan is to go DAW :: Reamp :: ABY ::
              Amp 1/iso cab/mic/mic preamp
              Amp 2/Red Box

And then blend them to taste.

Comment

Well, after a LOT of online research, I've decided against the Red Box ... I've not found any clips/demos of it that would match my criteria for sound. Looking into using 2 Notes now for the blend ...

Comment

Sounds like a plan.. IF you want to use the Red Box alone.. You can use it with a cabinet IR.. and it sounds killer... but by itself it is best BLENDED with a mic'd cab at the same time.. I have some clips somewhere with the Red Box (on the Tubemeister) with just a cabinet impulse.. I can find it and link it for your review.. I thought it sounded great.. But the Two Notes stuff offers IR's and a LOAD so that's a bonus.. but comes at a higher price.

Rock on! =)

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
                  Well, after a LOT of online research, I've decided against the Red Box ... I've not found any clips/demos of it that would match my criteria for sound. Looking into using 2 Notes now for the blend ...

Comment

Working...
                  X