Heh, SLO/5150/5150-III comparo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Heh, SLO/5150/5150-III comparo

What freaked me out was the Grant Cardone video before it.
    “That which we do for ourselves dies with us … that which we do for others lives forever.”

Comment

It is interesting how different amps can be made to sound the same. In fact, I can make all amps sound awful and the same at that. It doesn't mean that they sound the same when they're each dialed to their own optimal tone.

Then there is always how they feel and respond to each individuals playing and guitars.
      There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women, and I am neither one

Comment

I have an EVH 5150 III Stealth 100s, a Jet City 50w (Chinese Soldano), and recently sold my Peavey 5150 Head w/bias mod. The PEAVEY 5150 had a great lead tone, but it was a 1 Trick pony amp. The EVH 5153 while it doesn't quite have a Fender Clean Channel it is a damn good clean channel, the Blue channel was revised for more gain and mids, and the Red Channel is like the 5150 lead channel, it's a fantastic modern switching amp.

Here is a clip of me playing my wolfgang through my 5153, with my CC loaded Baretta on the lead. Song is only rough mixed and un mastered. The only FX on the guitar are a Roland SDE 3000.

Last edited by Shinobi; 09-19-2014, 08:14 AM.
        EVH 100s Head & 4x12 Cab
        2014 EVH Wolfgang USA Stealth
        1984 Kramer Baretta (CC) purchased new
        1984 Kramer 5150 Clone (Alder with CC)
        1986 Charvel Model 4 (stock active circuitry)
        1987 Charvel Model 2 (JB)
        1989 Red Kramer Pacer Imperial (JB bridge)
        1989 Kramer ProAxe
        1999 EBMM Axis

Comment

Love the stealth. It's a keeper

Comment

I honestly think of my 5150iii as a half price Soldano Decatone.
            My buddy has a Deca and I have played it a bunch, it's probably my favorite amp I have ever played in my life.
            It does everything well. My 5150iii sounds pretty much just like it but at half the price.
            The Soldano is a better amp don't get me wrong but my EVH nails that vibe.

He is an amp guru and has a room full of cool tube amps so he knows his ****. He said EVH basically had Peavey copy the SLO circuit design because that was the sound in his head.
            That has also transferred to the Fender versions. They are pretty much a Soldano copy.

Good for me! I ain't got $3500 to drop on an Decatone head.

Thanks for sharing this! Its my new favorite blog..

Comment

Played SLO
              Played 5150
              Owned Jet City 50

Didn't like any of em

All the same amp? Well mystery solved then

Comment

This is one reason I don't base anything on clips or opinions from newbs.

The primary place where guitar sound quality is tested, besides the recorded tone, is in the feel. Fans of youtube clips and modeling amps totally miss this.

Skilled guitarists and owners of every style of amps are the only people who's opinions matter in these comparisons.
                Last edited by Gearjoneser; 11-28-2015, 03:07 AM.
                Originally posted by Boogie Bill
                I've got 60 guitars...but 49 trumpets is just...INSANITY! WTF!

Comment

I used to have a 5150 (first run), modded to be as close to an SLO as possible. I now have an SLO. Different worlds, truly. The SLO is a ton less gritty. It's not smooth. No, it's simply 'not gritty'. Very saturated lead tones, superb cleans. Really best of both worlds for me. It became my favorite in an instant. I could never handle the 5150III, though. Just felt and sounded 'cheap' for some reason.

Comment

The SLO has to be played stupid loud to really get the goods doesnt it??
                    Believe me when I say that some of the most amazing music in history was made on equipment that's not as good as what you own right now.

Jol Dantzig

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                      That really depends on how you define 'the goods'. It certainly sounds great with the master on 5 and that's really loud, but it also has an excellent master volume. It'll sound good with the master on 1 but gets gradually better as you open it up, provided that you don't run the preamp gain too hot. Above about 6.5-7 it gets so saturated and compressed that the tone really doesn't change much as you turn it up.
                      Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                      And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

NOT playing devils advocate . . .

. . . but, if i do not have money (and likely never will) for a SLO . . . what amp will get me closest to the legendary SLO tone ?
                        Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

Originally posted by SirJackdeFuzz View Post
                          NOT playing devils advocate . . .

. . . but, if i do not have money (and likely never will) for a SLO . . . what amp will get me closest to the legendary SLO tone ?
                          The problem with chasing the SLO tone is the final step; nothing really sounds like it, not even the less expensive Soldanos get all the way there.

If you want to sound like a Soldano Hot Rod, that isn't hugely difficult. If you like rack stuff the Soldano SP-77 preamp is basically a Hot Rod in 19" format, and they're not terribly expensive. If you want a head, the Jet City amps are very close as are Mesa Rectifiers and to a lesser extent 5150s.
                          Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                          And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
                            The problem with chasing the SLO tone is the final step; nothing really sounds like it, not even the less expensive Soldanos get all the way there.

If you want to sound like a Soldano Hot Rod, that isn't hugely difficult. If you like rack stuff the Soldano SP-77 preamp is basically a Hot Rod in 19" format, and they're not terribly expensive. If you want a head, the Jet City amps are very close as are Mesa Rectifiers and to a lesser extent 5150s.
                            WOW . . . never knew the Mesa Recto's are close to a Soldano.

Does any one know if there are 5150 SLO-mod(s) that can get the Peavey 'closer' ?
                            Tele, SG, LP Jr, '76 Ibanez Artist & Tokai LS92 + FUZZ boxes into a '66 AB165 Bassman & 2X12 (55Hz Greenbacks) / '73 Orange OR120 & 2X12 (V30 & SwampThang) / Orange Thunderverb 50 & PPC212 / Marshall Vintage Modern 50 & 2X12 Genz Benz g-Flex / Laney Klipp / Laney AOR Pro Tube 100

"...it's a tree with a microphone" - Leslie West

Comment

My old 5150 was close to an SLO in terms of internal mods and tone. Don't ask me which mods, I didn't do them. I do know that to me, the rectifier sounds totally different and lacks the high detail, finesse, souplesse and quality of the SLO. Even the decatone isn't like an SLO and that one is superclose, but not the right transformers. The deYoung transformers are really key to that SLO vibe.

Comment

Originally posted by BloodRose View Post
                                not really. It sounds great on lower volumes (thanks to the depth knob) but it really needs to be cranked to the max to sound at its best. Just to give you an idea: I prefer the tone of an SLO on 'bedroom volume levels' than a rectifier, 5150 or JMP.

Comment

Working...
                                X