No announcement yet.

Looking for gain pedals is stressful.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Looking for gain pedals is stressful.

Originally posted by TimmyPage View Post
    Well one thing I've really figured out in this process is that I really don't like Tubescreamer clones. The gain on my pedalboard right now is a Soulfood set as a boost into a cheap 808 clone that just isn't doing it for me. All of the tubescreamer's I've tried just sound kind of.. mushy to me, so I definitely want something a little tighter than that. I am looking for something fairly big sounding that is fairly coloured sounding. I mean the type of thing where I can set my amp clean and use it as my sole dirt, and something which I can boost with the Soul Food to send it into huge fat screaming leads.

I'm looking into a preamp, more or less, so that I can just use my amp for it's clean headroom and for a clean tone. Medium-High-ish gain. Realistically, the highest gain stuff I play with one of the groups I play with is Pink Floyd stuff and a Hendrix tune now and again. My main band we do some original soul and bluesish tunes, combined with some ambient and instrumental jams. When I write it out like this it almost makes me think a muff-alike would be a better bet for me.
    I thought Agileguy's demo of the Basic Audio Tri/Ram sounded pretty amazing. I'm not currently in the market for a boutique Muff clone, but it's the one I'd go after if I were.
    Originally posted by crusty philtrum
    And that's probably because most people with electric guitars seem more interested in their own performance rather than the effect on the listener ... in fact i don't think many people who own electric guitars even give a poop about the effect on a listener. Which is why many people play electric guitars but very very few of them are actually musicians.

Comment

Originally posted by dystrust View Post
      I thought Agileguy's demo of the Basic Audio Tri/Ram sounded pretty amazing. I'm not currently in the market for a boutique Muff clone, but it's the one I'd go after if I were.
      Thanks, dude! I appreciate that. The Tri/Ram is still my favorite muff out of the many I had tried. Everyone that's tried it agrees too.
      Custom neck-thru strat
      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
      1995 PRS CE24
      D'avanzo #8
      Breedlove Solo Concert
      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
      1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
      Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

"Trick or treating is so stressful. There's just so many different candies to eat."

Taste a bunch of them and keep your favorites.
        green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Timmy, I agree with you. I've kinda been looking for a low gain, MIB pedal to complement the distortion tones from my Mesa amps, and just not finding anything that works for me.

Simple truth is, that for me, SS distortion pedals just sound unnatural to me. I'm not sure these poor, abused, tone-deaf ears will EVER find anything to my liking but tube amp distortion. I've been spoiled!

Bill
          When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Get a pedal with a tube in it maybe ?
            Originally posted by Oinkus
            I had Big Flannel over here the other night , cleaned up his Tele and did some setup on it , took out the camera and set it down on the desk. I am easily distrac

Comment

Wampler '57 Tweed or '65 Black. Seymour Duncan's Classic Twin Tube is a great one (actually a pair)....now discontinued, but some are available most of the time used on ebay.

Comment

Let's see here.... in the past year or two I've had a modded TS9, Plexitone, OCD, Bogner Red, Red Dirt, DS1-X, Pinnacle Deluxe and another Plexitone. For what I was looking for (headroom, dynamics, real tube feel, etc)... the Plexitone has been the hands-down winner. They were all great pedals, but the PT just spanked 'em all for me. Biggest disappointment was probably the Pinnacle. I had such high hopes for that pedal. But I had already been spoiled by the PT. My search for another drive pedal is over. If someone brings one to my house, plugs me in and I'm blown-away... that's one thing. Otherwise, I'm done wasting my time.

P.S. My one "complaint" about the PT would be the mid-scoop. I would LOVE it if they would issue an original PT with TMB controls. But for now, I just use my MXR EQ when I want to boost those mids slightly.
                "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Originally posted by crguti View Post
                  If you aren't planning to record an album just get any pedal and make it work for you.

Really... is that why people make the effort to get on gear forums and research purchases to find the gear that inspires them? To just "get any pedal and make it work"?

A good/great player can make just about anything sound good/great. But find me an EJ, EVH, SRV, YJM, etc who doesn't have clear preferences for certain gear. Same holds true for average players of lesser ear and capabilities. Gear can inspire to play more, or it can inspire to play less. The players that I've known who had no preference for gear (like the other lead player in the last band I was in), had blah tone and uninspired performances. They just didn't care. Which made it hard for me to care (about playing with them).
                  "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Originally posted by TimmyPage View Post
                    I am looking for something fairly big sounding that is fairly coloured sounding. I mean the type of thing where I can set my amp clean and use it as my sole dirt, and something which I can boost with the Soul Food to send it into huge fat screaming leads.
                    ocd or a lovepedal eternity.
                    "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                    Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I shop by demos... going to music stores is always such a drag. There are usually 2-3 demos for every piece of gear ever made.

Trying out pedals at noisy stores through different amps or guitars is never a scientific way of going about one's tone IMHO.

Why don't you hit up Big Flannel & your other UK based mates here to borrow some of their pedals?

Borrowing pedals is the best way to figure out if you want something or not. Pedals are sturdy and don't get damaged very easily... great for a loan to a friend.
                      Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

Okay, going get kicked in the A$$ for this, but what the heck...... pick up a used or new Digitech or Line 6, or whatever multi-effects unit, like an old RP355, or one of the new 360XP's from digitech. Play with the amp and cab sims, and effects... every known dirt pedal is in one of these units, or a facsimile of one. Find the dirt effect that comes close, find out what or how it was created, (they explain everyone on the website and you see it in the display, especially the new 360XP). Anyway, you asked. Just throwing it out there.

Brad

Comment

Your search is ogre.... uh.. ..I mean ...over

I just go by a few demo's too...the store thing is tedious & unless you cart your amp/guiatrs/gear over ..it's sort of pointless as well.
                          "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
                          If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Label View Post
                            Really... is that why people make the effort to get on gear forums and research purchases to find the gear that inspires them? To just "get any pedal and make it work"?
                            He has a superiority complex. In his mind, if you don't gig or record, you're not worthy of nice gear.
                            Custom neck-thru strat
                            1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                            1995 PRS CE24
                            D'avanzo #8
                            Breedlove Solo Concert
                            1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                            1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                            1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                            Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Give Keeley a shot. I'm sure that they would have something to fill the niche. I like their Katana clean boost with the volume knob pulled out. In that setting, it's supposed to be similar to an old Dallas Rangemaster. https://robertkeeley.com/product-category/overdrive/ or https://robertkeeley.com/product-category/boost/

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                                love ya bob, but I totally disagree
                                I know - just throwing the smack out there to be contrary

However - there are a million shades of dirt. You CAN get way obsessed with it. I agree with all of the "Listen to a bunch and pick the one you like" people in reality….

But I'm also not a tone freak. I'm not saying I want my sound to suck, but I'm not going to obsess over something a tweak of a gain knob or a little left/right on the eq from guitar/pedal/amp can make good.

Remember - I am the guy who says there is a time and a place for every dirt box. But I understand about trying to find that tone. I choose not to spend my time doing that anymore.
                                Originally posted by Bad City
                                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                                X