Bizarre gold upright electric

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Bizarre gold upright electric

We did the touristy thing in Philadelphia today, and the kids wanted lunch at the Hard Rock. I now wish I'd taken a picture, but I'll try to describe this odd bass they had on display.

It was a solidbody electric upright. Its body was narrow and roughly triangular, tapering from a flat bottom up to the neck. Brass or gold hardware, with a sort of handmade look about it. It was painted gold, with single-ply ivory binding front and back.

Anybody ever seen this thing before, know who owned it, or built it? It was weird.
    Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
    Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Re: Bizarre gold upright electric

Was it one of these, just painted gold?

Get the guaranteed best price on Electric Upright Bass like the Dean Pace Bass 4-String Electric Upright at Musician's Friend. Get a low price and free shipping on thousands of items.

Comment

I'd guess it was a Warwick/Framus Triumph, from the sound of the body shape.

Click image for larger version

Name:	0002102_012-TRIUMPH4_3.jpeg
Views:	1
Size:	12.9 KB
ID:	5780499
      I write Articles for Seymour Duncan
      I write Articles for Bass Musician Magazine

Comment

Looks like Mr. Monkey got it. A Google photo search demonstrates there were a lot of different style of Triumph, but the one I saw was flat-topped, like this:

or maybe the one in the left-hand two images here.

I remember it had a lot of extra sheet metal on it.

It reminded me of these guys:

Last edited by Rich_S; 08-14-2014, 08:00 AM.
        Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
        Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Working...
        X