Xotic EP booster placement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xotic EP booster placement

I just picked one of these up so far I really like it. But was wondering where most people place it in the signal chain. I am new to these types of pedals.

Xotic EP booster placement

I've heard of folks who place it first and leave it on all the time. I've seen folks place it after a distortion pedal for a solo boost too. I actually saw a video where a guy did both because he liked the tone enhancement but also wanted a good solo boost.

Personally I like it near the beginning of the signal chain... After my fuzz pedal but before my prince of clone od pedal.

It works magic going into a good analog delay pedal (no surprise there) and is generally fantastic into everything made after the very first pedals (i.e. Treble boosters and fuzz pedals)

Edit: mine is a boost styled after the echoplex preamp like the ep boost but it isn't the ep boost itself... Think a perfboard version of the madbean fat pants in an oversized enclosure.
    Last edited by jimijames; 08-24-2014, 07:28 AM. Reason: additional info
    Originally posted by ImmortalSix
    I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

Re: Xotic EP booster placement

You must try it with your own pedalboard. No shortcuts.
      With some set of pedals, I liked it more at the beginning of the pedalboard (right after the wah).
      But, when swapped some pedals, it did a better job at the end of the chain (after gain pedals, before time effects).
      It was always on, btw.
      My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
      My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

If you want to kick up all your solos up a notch, place it last. This way you're boosting your modified tone.
        If you want to kick up your distortion/overdrive pedals, place it first.

Of course that's the basic guidance, but it'll all depend on what board you have, what you like to do with it, which pedals like a boost in front etc...

I wish these boosters had a buffer built-in... I'd place one first and one last in the chain!

Comment

I place mine right after a COT50 and before a Bogner Esctasy Red. The red has a post OD boost....

Comment

Originally posted by Pierre View Post
            If you want to kick up all your solos up a notch, place it last. This way you're boosting your modified tone.
            If you want to kick up your distortion/overdrive pedals, place it first.

Of course that's the basic guidance, but it'll all depend on what board you have, what you like to do with it, which pedals like a boost in front etc...

I wish these boosters had a buffer built-in... I'd place one first and one last in the chain!
            Just one addendum - if your distortion/OD pedals are already at full gain having the EP in front of them shouldn't increase the volume at all, whereas having it after those type pedals should, all things being equal.

I don't know if the EP boost distorts at all but the version I use will if you goose the input enough.
            Originally posted by ImmortalSix
            I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

FYI to all - you can get the tone enhancing properties of the preamp without using the boost. I use mine right after my wah with the boost turned all the way down. Also, don't forget about the two internal switches - one is a 3dB gain boost and the other is a bright switch. Experiment with these as well as placement in the chain and I'll bet you'll find a sound you'll love.

Comment

Working...
              X