banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the MOST versatile pickup Duncan makes?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: What is the MOST versatile pickup Duncan makes?

Doesn't look like he did. Why is his answer wrong again?
    Originally posted by Funkfingers
    Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

1. Zephs
      2. SSL-1
      3. Jazz

Comment

Originally posted by jon the art guy View Post
        Doesn't look like he did. Why is his answer wrong again?

That would be that this is not about personal favorites for limited applications, the keyword being 'versatile' defined as a great choice for a wide variety of genres and guitar designs. This 'big picture' thing really seems to be a stumbling point. I blame our educational system.

We could throw out the versatility thing and just randomly list our favorites, but that might be best left for another thread.

As a blues/classic rock guy playing Gibson-design guitars, JB's don't work for me (there's a lot of better choices); probably not used by many other guys playing those genres either. 'Vintage' tends to be big with them. Can't picture JB's being a 'go to' pickup for the country crowd, and perhaps not a first pick for the jazz crowd either. That's a lot genres to be shaky on, which tends to limit 'versatility.' Perhaps when people list their suggestions, they should give examples of genres and guitar designs that their suggested PU's work well in. It would carry more weight.
        Last edited by blueman335; 09-08-2014, 02:01 PM.
        "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
        "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
        "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

It's kind of like a "battle of the bands", it's really just "battle of the turnout".

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
            That would be that this is not about personal favorites for limited applications, the keyword being 'versatile' defined as a great choice for a wide variety of genres and guitar designs. This 'big picture' thing really seems to be a stumbling point. I blame our educational system.

We could throw out the versatility thing and just randomly list our favorites, but that might be best left for another thread.

As a blues/classic rock guy playing Gibson-design guitars, JB's don't work for me (there's a lot of better choices); probably not used by many other guys playing those genres either. 'Vintage' tends to be big with them. Can't picture JB's being a 'go to' pickup for the country crowd, and perhaps not a first pick for the jazz crowd either. That's a lot genres to be shaky on, which tends to limit 'versatility.' Perhaps when people list their suggestions, they should give examples of genres and guitar designs that their suggested PU's work well in. It would carry more weight.
            The very nature of versatile doesnt require something to be the "go to" option for anything. This is an incredibly fallacious argument you are making. The inherent nature of "versatile" many times dictates that something becomes a jack of all trades and a master of none.

In fact your argument on this very basis is weak. I can with a static amplifier set up take a JB and play it full up and cover any sort of metal. By turning my volume knob to 6 it will do a passable blues tone.. by turning it to 4 it will do a workable jazz or country... The very definition of versatile.

In contrast if we take your favorite vintage pickup with the same amp set up you cannot turn it up it will work good for jazz or blues and might be passable for country, early rock might be ok but everyone else will be left desiring more that they cannot achieve because the pickup cannot be turned up any louder.

The very reason the JB and super distortion exist is because your beloved vintage pups werent cutting it. The very fact that those pickups exist is a testament that vintage pups are not as versatile as you would like them to be.

Oh and sidenote... you ASSUMED that people were listing pickups just because they were their favorites I think you might be shocked to find how many of those people actually feel the very pickups you dont like are actually quite versatile hence why they listed them.

I can say for myself the JB didnt make my list because its ones of my favorites it made the list because it can cover a ton of territory that others cant.
            Last edited by Edgecrusher; 09-08-2014, 02:58 PM.
            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

1.Custom
              3.JB

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                The very nature of versatile doesnt require something to be the "go to" option for anything. This is an incredibly fallacious argument you are making. The inherent nature of "versatile" many times dictates that something becomes a jack of all trades and a master of none.

In fact your argument on this very basis is weak. I can with a static amplifier set up take a JB and play it full up and cover any sort of metal. By turning my volume knob to 6 it will do a passable blues tone.. by turning it to 4 it will do a workable jazz or country... The very definition of versatile.

In contrast if we take your favorite vintage pickup with the same amp set up you cannot turn it up it will work good for jazz or blues and might be passable for country, early rock might be ok but everyone else will be left desiring more that they cannot achieve because the pickup cannot be turned up any louder.

The very reason the JB and super distortion exist is because your beloved vintage pups werent cutting it. The very fact that those pickups exist is a testament that vintage pups are not as versatile as you would like them to be.
                I just want to say, that was an enjoyable read, even if I disagree. It's nice to see some actual discussion about what makes a pickup versatile, or not.

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
                  I just want to say, that was an enjoyable read, even if I disagree. It's nice to see some actual discussion about what makes a pickup versatile, or not.
                  Thanks I can handle that
                  "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

JB is very versatile and is by no means unreasonable to be put on a list like this.

Comment

The flip side of that is that many PU makers, big and small, are now producing PAF's (in the 21st century, imagine that!), because your 'beloved' JB and Super Distortion aren't 'cutting it' for a number of genres.

If only you had spent the time and effort that you have on this thread, explaining to Seymour that he's frittered away all those years creating an assortment of unnecessary winds and PU's, when all players need to do is adjust their volume controls. That time and resources could have been spent making ten times as many JB's.
                      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

As usual, a perfectly good thread is flushed down the toilet because people have *gasp* opinions.

Let's take a step back and look at some facts:

1) just about any pickup can get the job done. Hell, Morton used 59's with Lamb of God.

2) your amp is a much greater variable to your sound than pickups. An Invader is going to sound far different through a 5150 than a Dumble.

3) under no circumstances did Seymour use resources to develop pickups because other models weren't cutting it. He created these pickups to innovate like any good business should.

4) No one has ever listened to an album and said "Damn, that JB sounds like garbage. He should've used a Fullshred."
                         Originally Posted by DreX

I don't mean to be a jerk, but some people bring out my compartmentalized rage, and I think that's their idea of victory. I wouldn't bother asking people to be civil on the internet though, just hide them in my basement and move on. Call the authorities any time you feel it necessary.

Comment

My number one axe is pictured below. I play hard rock (sometimes bordering on metal), rock, light jazz, ballads, acoustic strummers (hey, I have an acoustic patch on my POD), modern pseudo-country Americana (or whatever that stuff is called), pop-influenced, jazz-based gospel, and whatever else is thrown my way or strikes my fancy.

This guitar is SUPER versatile.

Seymour knew what he was doing 40 years ago, and it STILL works today. This is a JB/Jazz set.

\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/
                          Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                          https://youtube.com/channel/UCo848I2...e4jKB5DNZ4Y7hs
                          Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

So while we may not have identified the most versatile Duncan pickups, we may have identified who we might want to exclude from the 'Around the World in 80 Tones' project.

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                              The flip side of that is that many PU makers, big and small, are now producing PAF's (in the 21st century, imagine that!), because your 'beloved' JB and Super Distortion aren't 'cutting it' for a number of genres.

If only you had spent the time and effort that you have on this thread, explaining to Seymour that he's frittered away all those years creating an assortment of unnecessary winds and PU's, when all players need to do is adjust their volume controls. That time and resources could have been spent making ten times as many JB's.
                              Golf clap... at least i can give an argument showing how a JB can be versatile... you cant even come up with that and have to resort to an awkward attack of incredulity or was it an misfired attempt at a reductio ad absurdum? At the end of the day with even all of your beloved PAF's on the market they still sell more JB's. So they sure didnt reissue/recreate the PAF's because people didnt like the JB.

Comment

I can with a static amplifier set up take a JB and play it full up and cover any sort of metal. By turning my volume knob to 6 it will do a passable blues tone.. by turning it to 4 it will do a workable jazz or country.
                                Using that logic, most PU's can do a 'passable' job of most genres, by simply by adjusting the volume control. Since some metal players have used PAF's, it would seem that they're not automatically out of the running, your claims to the contrary notwithstanding. Since there's many kinds of distortion pedals and distortion built into amps, you're quite sure that all PAF's don't work for metal in any of those PU/distortion combinations?
                                Last edited by blueman335; 09-09-2014, 05:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X