banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the MOST versatile pickup Duncan makes?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is the MOST versatile pickup Duncan makes?

When I think of versatile, it rules out all the pickups with a distinct personality like the JB, Distortion, Full Shred, CustomCustom. They are great, but great at a narrower spectrum of tones. If we are considering using this for the bridge AND neck, that limits things even more...

Geez... Maybe the PATB-1, Whole Lotta Bridge, or Jazz bridge?

most bridge buckers do not work well for variety in the neck slot, and most neck buckers are not hot enough for the bridge slot.

I will choose... the Dimarzio PAF Pro.... Go ahead and yell at me...

Comment

Custom, Distortion, JB

I can happily cover any style with those 3 with just the turn of a volume knob.
      "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
      you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

The inherent issue with questions and polls like this is the same as asking the best guitarist or the best riff or the best album.

Sent from my armored space station via iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

LiveWires
          Blackouts
          Duckbucker

I think those are the most versatile pickups in the Duncan range...lol.

Ok seriously. I'd say,
          Demon
          Custom
          JB
          Last edited by Metalblaze; 09-01-2014, 09:50 AM.
          Me(n)tal Distortion

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
            Custom, Distortion, JB

I can happily cover any style with those 3 with just the turn of a volume knob.

Yes, it baffles me why Seymour would spend so much time and money to create dozens of other PU's when those three do it all.
            "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
            "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Custom/59 hybrid

Comment

To say my sin, I think that all pickups are versatile, it depends on the player and what he/she can do. All pickups can do everything in an ok way. The whole idea of the different pickups is another matter. It's to aim for your favourite tone. The one which inspires you.
                Me(n)tal Distortion

Comment

I just rethought this order a bit. I'm going with:

SSL-2
                  Broadcaster
                  STL-1

SSL-1 gets an honorable mention, though it doesn't make the cut because the old-school stagger is retarded unless you are using a wound 3rd string. The STL-1 makes the cut because even though it has a somewhat retarded stagger, it isn't all that pronounced like the SSL-1's.

Basic, low-output, stock-style, classic pickups give you the best place to start if versatility is the goal. With them, it's relatively easy to get anything you want by way of amps, effects, and technique changes. You can get the most plain-Jane, old-school Strat or Tele pickup to sound like a firebreathing humbucker without a whole lot of effort. But good luck trying to do the opposite.

This is also limiting the discussion to passive pickups. I would argue that outside of extreme cases, anything active is gonna be inherently more versatile than anything passive.
                  Last edited by ItsaBass; 09-01-2014, 01:39 PM.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                    This is a prelude to a poll. What I'd like you to do is list the TOP THREE pickups that you think are the most versatile, from most to 2nd, to 3rd most versatile in the Duncan lineup.

This is the pickup that (assuming) you could play rock, blues, metal, jazz, country, or whatever on, in a Les Paul OR a start style guitar.

There will be NO MAG Swapping, tone tweaking or any of that.

Name them!

I'll go first:

1. 59
                    2. JB
                    3. Custom
                    https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...ickup-forum%85

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                      Yes, it baffles me why Seymour would spend so much time and money to create dozens of other PU's when those three do it all.
                      I said I not you.. .not we.. I said I. This post is asking and i quote
                      Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                      "What I'd like you to do is list the TOP THREE pickups that you think are the most versatile"
                      So for those in the cheap seats that you think

Its not my fault that you cant cover multiple styles by just using a volume knob... you have my condolences... but your in luck seymour duncan makes dozens of other pickups that you should satisfy the gaps in your playing.
                      "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                      you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Demon - How many pickups work so well in either the neck or the bridge position? Works great for rock, country (especially modern country) or even jazz tones with the right amp. You may have to turn the gain up a bit from your normal settings to play metal, but it can still do it well.
                        Alnico II pro - Sounds great across the more popular genres.
                        Jazz - Matches up well with almost any bridge pickup.

Comment

Custom series

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                            Its not my fault that you cant cover multiple styles by just using a volume knob... you have my condolences... but your in luck seymour duncan makes dozens of other pickups that you should satisfy the gaps in your playing.
                            Ah, I get it. Seymour makes all those dozens of other PU's for the hacks out there. Got it. He could have saved himself a lot of trouble if he'd have just hired you decades ago.
                            "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                            "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Stock pickups are going to most easily associate with most genres, for the fact that most players in most genres just use stock gear. Therefore, I'd say the PAFs and the vintage output single coils are the most "versatile".

IMO, in most cases, when you swap out vintage stock pickups, you're making a conscious decision to venture away from versatility for the sake of something more particular.

Comment

1. Dimebucker
                                2. Custom 5
                                3. 59

Comment

Working...
                                X