banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What is the MOST versatile pickup Duncan makes?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: What is the MOST versatile pickup Duncan makes?

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
    and what the heck, why wouldn't a 16K PU be ideal in a hollow body? If a PAF is good, a PU wound twice as hot would be even better, huh? Twice as good!
    and what the heck, why wouldn't a 16K PU be ideal in a hollow body? If a PAF is good, a PU wound twice as hot would be even better, huh? Twice as good!
    Originally posted by dominus
    Resistance is not output.
    Never said it was, but thanks anyways.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
    @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
      'Wound twice as hot' doesn't mean twice as loud, just extra windings, as everyone that's been here a few months knows. Apparently you're having trouble with the concept.
      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

'Wound twice as hot' doesn't mean twice as loud, just extra windings, as everyone that's been here a few months knows. Apparently you're having trouble with the concept.
        Okay, instead of backpedaling, dig a deeper hole. What do you mean by "twice as hot" that doesn't equate to output? Saying that it's not twice as loud is a poor dodge. Pickups aren't loud. Amps are.

Twitter:
        @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Okay, instead of backpedaling, dig a deeper hole. What do you mean by "twice as hot" that doesn't equate to output? Saying that it's not twice as loud is a poor dodge. Pickups aren't loud. Amps are.

'Backpedaling?' All I said was 'hot', which means extra windings. You brought up output and volume, I didn't.

I understand you're angry and feel the need to vent. If you're determined to start a fight, pick something where you're not arguing over what you said. At this point you're arguing with yourself. I'm just sitting here watching you get yourself worked up. if you want to put someone down someone, it's best to be calm and make sense.
          Last edited by blueman335; 09-02-2014, 09:17 AM.
          "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

'Backpedaling?' All I said was 'hot', which means extra windings. You brought up output and volume, I didn't.

I understand you're angry and feel the need to vent. If you're determined to start a fight, pick something where you're not arguing over what you said. At this point you're arguing with yourself. I'm just sitting here watching you get yourself worked up. if you want to put someone down someone, it's best to be calm and make sense.

Twitter:
            @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Exactly what I was thinking.

If you'd like to point out where I used the words 'output' and 'volume' in my now famous '16K post', please do. If you're unable to find those words, I hope you feel better after you've gotten this out of your system.
              Last edited by blueman335; 09-02-2014, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Comment

It would be really nice if this forum would block out quotes from members on ones ignore list, instead of just that user's posts themselves.
                  Originally posted by LesStrat
                  Yogi Berra was correct.
                  Originally posted by JOLLY
                  I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

To say something is "wound twice as hot" does not imply "twice the output", it just means "double the number windings", because as Frank Falbo once pointed out here some time ago, the windings closer to the magnet are more productive than those further away, so double the windings != double the output.

More to the point, a PAF is wound with 42 AWG and a JB is wound with 44 AWG (if the Internet is to be believed) so, (if true,) the DCR isn't at all usable to compare wind count.

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
                      it just means "double the number windings"
                      Ummm no it doesnt not at all, For someone who loves to argue semantics I would think you would realize that there arent twice the number of turns on a JB as compared to a PAF. 44awg is not half as thin as 42awg

Originally posted by DreX View Post
                      the DCR isn't at all usable to compare wind count.
                      "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                      you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                        Ummm no it doesnt not at all, For someone who loves to argue semantics I would think you would realize that there arent twice the number of turns on a JB as compared to a PAF. 44awg is not half as thin as 42awg
                        I said that. Right there. In that same post. Second paragraph.

Comment

Hi I just stepped into this pile of poo of a thread. Just wondering what you boys are doing this fine afternoon. That is outside of throwing poo at each other and acting like 5 year olds. No one has answered Ace's question in pages, and to most of you it doesn't matter. The second anyone makes the simplest statement about a pickup the gloves come on. I have actually seen you guys argue about parchment vs. cream! The level of stupidity on these boards is getting to the toxic level. I would suggest everyone go back to the original post, answer the question and move on. If you have a question about anyone's post - PM them. Frankly the rest of us are sick of hearing the techie geek muscle flexing. Step aside and have a private conversation that is what the PM is for.

Comment

The "pile of poo" comes in the form of conduct, but clearing up misunderstandings about how pickups work, and the terminology we use to describe how they work and what they do, is very worthwhile subject matter.

Talking about which pickups we like the most is fun, but occasionally it's nice to discuss the science behind them.

Comment

Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Can't you just respond by say…

1. Pickup X
                                2. Pickup Y
                                3. Pickup Z

All I did was ask for an opinion. Not a lecture, not a technical discussion, not a duo log on why some one's opinion should be something else. Just the names of three pickups, that in a world of ONLY one pickup, would make you happy.

[For the record, I'd soooo do Country with my Distortion!]
                                Originally posted by Bad City
                                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                                X