What is your favorite overdrive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is your favorite overdrive?

I'm just curious about what everyone is using because I think overdrives are just as important as the amp. How do you use them; clean or gain boost? as boost or main distortion? what are your settings?

I'll go first. I'm using the mxr zakk wylde overdrive and I LOVE it. I use it as a clean boost. It really adds nice attack, doesn't color my tone, really tightens the low end and it doesn't really add any mids.

My prefered settings are output all the way, tone at 10 o clock (I like low end) and barely any gain. When I change channels in this setting it makes my cleans kinda dirty which I really like, idk I don't like my clean channel very clean, but if I add more gain it sounds like a low gain ds1.

your overdrive?

What is your favorite overdrive?

I currently use a Boss BD2 for rhythm stuff into a clean AC30. Boost it with a Rat2 and/or Pharaoh.
    Last edited by Psykel; 09-14-2014, 04:03 AM.

Comment

Re: What is your favorite overdrive?

Black Arts Toneworks Coven

Click image for larger version

Name:	coven_pr.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	99.2 KB
ID:	5780794

The left footswitch and top row of controls is for the Black Forest overdrive... the right footswitch and bottom row of controls is for the Pharaoh fuzz. Used in conjunction with a cranked tube amp to get all kinds of awesome tones.
      green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

Originally posted by Empty Pockets View Post
        Black Arts Toneworks Coven

[ATTACH=CONFIG]57151[/ATTACH]

The left footswitch and top row of controls is for the Black Forest overdrive... the right footswitch and bottom row of controls is for the Pharaoh fuzz. Used in conjunction with a cranked tube amp to get all kinds of awesome tones.
        That looks like a very cool pedal, indeed!

I use a JColoccia Horus as a foundation and/or overdrive.

I typically stack it with a BB Preamp, MXR distortion +, and/or one of several boost pedals.

I run low wattage single channel amps and very little preamp gain.

My main amps are an EAST Studio 2 and Lil Dawg Champster.
        Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
        My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Marshall Bluesbreaker modded to analogman PoT OD channel specs.
          Originally posted by ImmortalSix
          I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

and a close second (pushing distortion)

Originally posted by Bad City
            He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

i have a bunch of cool drive pedals but timmy is still my favorite. i typically use it as a boost adding mids and a touch of gain and volume to my fender amps

Comment

I like it from the amp best but sometimes that's not always ideal. My all-time favorite is the old Boss OD-1.

Comment

I have been using a Zakk Wylde OD also, along with a TS808, both as a clean boost. I like the way the ZW doesn't color, but makes my tone more aggressive, and I like the way the tubescreamer adds a little of it's special sauce for a more "classic" tone. I've also been known to use them as a more traditional overdrive, and use the ZW for a tight, crunchy, heavy rhythm tone, and the TS for a smooth, mid boosted lead tone.
                  Originally posted by Rockstar216
                  Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

The one I just built that has a push/pull pot for 9v-18v switching via a charge pump and another push/pull for two clipping choices. Oh and a dymo label name because as TGP proved if you dymo label a tube screamer based pedal you can charge $600 for it LOL.

www.DAvanzoGuitars.com

Comment

MXR Wylde Overdrive. I like the snarl & harmonics it brings out in an amp.
                      Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

I'm more of a boost-guy than od guy but when I do need an OD my first choice is the Timmy, followed closely by the original ts808 circuit. #3 on the list would be the boss OD1. Quite an impressive pedal in front of a marshall-type amp.

Comment

Lovepedal Kalamazoo is the only OD on my board now and it is pretty wonderful.
                          Originally posted by Oinkus
                          I had Big Flannel over here the other night , cleaned up his Tele and did some setup on it , took out the camera and set it down on the desk. I am easily distrac

Comment

Originally posted by XSSIVE View Post
                            The one I just built that has a push/pull pot for 9v-18v switching via a charge pump and another push/pull for two clipping choices. Oh and a dymo label name because as TGP proved if you dymo label a tube screamer based pedal you can charge $600 for it LOL.

Ok I think I need to hear this thing for myself.
                            Originally posted by Rockstar216
                            Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

Take your pick....

FullDrive2
                              Reverend Drivetrain
                              Boss SD-1
                              Ibanez TS-9
                              MXR Classic Overdrive --> Currently on board
                              MXR Classic Distortion
                              MXR Badass 78
                              Marshall Gov'nor Clone

Now that I am mostly using the Legacy and Tweaker heads I don't need 4-5 drive pedals on the board any more. I really don't need 1 but its a security blanket...
                              Last edited by AudioWonderland; 09-09-2014, 01:42 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X