High gain amp with Vintage cleans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: High gain amp with Vintage cleans?

Now keep in mind that I was "Boogie Bill" long before a Mesa amp even existed; so my screen name has nothing to do with Mesa amps.

But when it comes to amps, for me--it's Mesa Boogie.

The Mark V I have does better clean tone than any of the vintage Fenders I owned: a vintage 1965 DR, 1964 Tremolux, 1965 Band Master, a SF Twin Reverb, a Super Champ and a Fender 75. At one time or another I'd guess I've played on all the BF or SF versions of amps Fender made. Mark IIIs and the Mark IV I have also have good clean tones, better than what a lot of folks give them credit for. I have ALWAYS been the kind of player that looks for the clean tones from an amp FIRST, and I have never been disappointed with those tones from my Mesa amps. These amps are voiced specifically to give you clean tones that work with a band. Some of their amps are mid-focused for that soaring lead tone and a little shy in the bass, granted. BUT--an amp with too much bass will get mushy at stage volume, and it can interfere with what the bassist and the keyboards are doing. On stage and in the studio are where these amps shine.

I don't think you'll want to go Recto (Single, Dual, Triple, Roadster, Road King) for vintage clean tones. (Though the new Mini-Rectifier is an AMAZING amp!) I'd stay with the Marks, Calibers, Lone Star Classic, Express, F-50 or F-100. Though I can tell you, when the original 2-channel Dual Recto was first introduced back in the 90's, I dialed in the clean channel to copy a BF non-reverb Deluxe the store had sitting next to the DR. People couldn't tell the difference. The DR could just go a LOT louder, LOL.

But if you like the chimey tones from EL-84s, ala Vox, then consider the Lone Star Special, Maverick, F-30, or Trans-Atlantics. My 212 Maverick combo is really versatile--I can get Fender tones, Vox tones--and even get some serious Duane Allman plexi-type crunch from the Lead channel. And if I run a moderate boost into the amp, I've got my Santana tone and sustain. Mesa does a great job with their EL84 amps to get those chimey tones, and yet they can bring some serious gain on top of it.

Mesa amps are expensive. They are ruggedly built amps for professionals. They will take a little time to figure out the controls, because they feature a lot of options--you may have to actually sit down and THOROUGHLY read the Owner's Manual, to discover all the little tricks. Trust me, it is worth it. After decades of searching for great tones from SUNN, Acoustic, Kustom, Gibson, Fender, Marshall, amps, et. al., I finally bought my first Mesa back in 1995. And I have NEVER REGRETTED IT--NOT FOR ONE SECOND! A few years ago I hit hard times, and I had to start selling gear just to keep a roof over my head, it was the Mesas I kept--and the vintage Fenders and Marshalls got sold. Sure, I'd love to have my DR back, and the Super Champ and the Tremolux--they were great amps, great stories behind them, and all sounded great--but for the gig, it was the Mesas.

And the icing on the cake for me was that, once I started playing the Mesas, I developed into a better player. All of a sudden, I was the one getting the compliments on my tone and playing--not the other guy in the band who could play 3,697 notes per second and was so unhappy with his tone that was buying and selling a new amp every month. And let me tell you those compliments were sweet to hear. When you do a festival and the sound guy comes up after the set and points at my amp and says, "That's the best sounding amp I've heard all weekend!" in front of some really great players---well WOW! That feels good. That confidence really allows you to relax and take your audience where you want them to go.

When you get to that point in your life and in your career that you find out who you are; the things that define you as an entertainer and musician, when you've defined your tone and identified the gear that works for you; when you can just play the music with being so obsessed over all the little minutia of gear detail, and just relax and feel the JOY of making music and performing--WOW that is a great feeling, no matter what your final choice in gear is--Mesa-Marshall-Fender-Strat-Tele-Les Paul--whatever. Great feeling, great place to be.

For me, it is Mesa.

Bill
    When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

The Mk V is great, it can do classic fender blackface clean to modern hi-gain metal and any/everything in between. It is pricey, but there are plenty out there pricier that aren't nearly as versatile. It also takes some time to dial in, but I watched the YouTube videos mesa and petrucci made for it and found sounds I liked and tweeked them from there.
      sigpic
      Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
        Hah your funny...

But i was asking seriously
        and I answered seriously.

I prefer the Peavey XXL though. Better high gain sounds, and most people say that it does have a very good clean.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
        @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Mesa Mark V if you have the money. Express + if you don't. Or you could just get a clean amp and a couple of nice pedals. Yes they are hit or miss, but if you have some patience you can find the right one or two (or three or four...) for you.
          Go Packers!

Comment

Yeah +1 for Boogie. Even a dual recto will give you nice cleans with some tweaking, but the cleans on the Express 5:50 amps are awesome especially in 25 watt mode. And it has a nice spring reverb. Their lil Rectoverb is nice too, the clean channel is a bit like my 5:50+

I would love to check out a Hovercraft Falcon though.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
              and I answered seriously.

I prefer the Peavey XXL though. Better high gain sounds, and most people say that it does have a very good clean.
              Then i seriously question your taste in vintage clean sounds...
              "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
              you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Boogie Mark series. Can't think of any other that does both as good.

Comment

Nevermind. OPs definition of high gain and mine are two different things
                  Last edited by JeffB; 09-12-2014, 05:42 AM.
                  I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                    Then i seriously question your taste in vintage clean sounds...
                    My taste in vintage clean sounds? I can't stand clean sounds. I was just posting amps that have good high gain sounds, and, from what reviews have stated, excellent clean channels.

You're not going to get any cleaner than solid state, and you're not going to get any more high gain than solid state. Tube amps may cover a lot of ground in the middle, but solid state amps still have the edge on the extremes. Since I play on the extreme edge of gain, I use solid state amps.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
                    @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Originally posted by dominus View Post
                      My taste in vintage clean sounds? I can't stand clean sounds. I was just posting amps that have good high gain sounds, and, from what reviews have stated, excellent clean channels.

You're not going to get any cleaner than solid state, and you're not going to get any more high gain than solid state. Tube amps may cover a lot of ground in the middle, but solid state amps still have the edge on the extremes. Since I play on the extreme edge of gain, I use solid state amps.
                      You've got a good point, but I honestly think analog ss amps can cover most half-cleans and pretty dirty tones now as well. Tubes are really just bad transistors anyway.
                      Originally posted by Funkfingers
                      Music is for life. Without parole.

Comment

like some of the others, I have had good luck with Mesa amps. The Roadster has two channels that can be set clean or clean-ish, depending on your tastes and two channels that can do anything up to and including high gain. Even my lowly single rectifier can do great cleans and high gain without breaking a sweat.

Comment

Can't believe someone hasn't mentioned the pittbull 45 or 50, My hovercraft gets fender territory cleans but it's more of a bassman style clean than a big buttery reverby clean....

Comment

The blackstar demos sound pretty good clean channel and the gain channel is jaw dropping. Another weird option but actually doable is this preamp switching I saw in this video, the AMT F1 is solid state preamp meant to sound Fender Twin like, this guy makes his 5150 to have a crystal clear clean, more clean headroom than the amp actually had.

Who took my guitar?

Comment

I can believe no on has mentioned carvin. I have a carvin X100B and pushed fully it can get you in metallica territory. and the cleans are very much like fender, but I prefer the carvin clean over the fender. the cleans seem to have more character and a better bottom end for a fuller sound then what fender can give you. the best part brand new my 100 watt X100B only cost 599.00. you should check out some of the youtube videos. if the x100 does not have enough gain for you can look at the v3 they make. still good cleans (but the x100 cleans are a little better) 3 channels and much more gain on tap. or you may care for the legacy 3 (steve vai's signature amp)

Comment

I have put a couple of sound clips I recorded with my Tascam guitar trainer. I don't have any clean samples of the carvin but I plan to work on them tomorrow, but it will give you an idea of how much high gain it has. the link is below

Listen to Carvin X100B samples by shaggyrun #np on #SoundCloud

Comment

Working...
                                X