X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: High gain amp with Vintage cleans?

Originally posted by dominus View Post
    and I answered seriously.

I prefer the Peavey XXL though. Better high gain sounds, and most people say that it does have a very good clean.
    My ultimate clean tone is the Peavey Triple XXX (now 3120), although I can see my XXL coming in second.
    I miss the 80's (girls) !!!

Seymour Duncans currently in use - In Les Pauls: Custom(b)/Jazz(n), Distortion(b)/Jazz(n), '59(b)/'59(n) w/A4 mag, P-Rails(b)/P-Rails(n); In a Bullet S-3: P-Rails(b)/stock/Vintage Stack Tele(n); In a Dot: Seth Lover(b)/Seth Lover(n); In a Del Mar: Mag Mic; In a Lead II: Custom Shop Fender X-1(b)

Comment

My JVM & Triple Rec both have good cleans, and I've heard some really nice clean demo clips of the Rhodes Colossus.
      Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

I would agree that the JVM has a good clean channel, but I still prefer My carvin over my JVM head for cleans. To get my JVM to compete with the carvin I have to roll the volume down on the guitar and switch to my neck pickup. When I do that it is beautifully clean but if I leave it on the JB bridge and leave the guitar volume wide open then it tends to have some gritty breakup, which sounds great but it's not what I think of as fender vintage clean

Comment

Originally posted by jackson111 View Post
          I would agree that the JVM has a good clean channel, but I still prefer My carvin over my JVM head for cleans. To get my JVM to compete with the carvin I have to roll the volume down on the guitar and switch to my neck pickup. When I do that it is beautifully clean but if I leave it on the JB bridge and leave the guitar volume wide open then it tends to have some gritty breakup, which sounds great but it's not what I think of as fender vintage clean
          Well, the thing with the JVM is that they designed the thing with more than enough gain on tap and to top it off, they come with a 12AX7 in V1 that's selected for high gain. If you put a lower gain 12AX7 in there, it will help with the cleans. Also, doing the Blackface mod hhelps, along with changing the slope resistor out for a 100k or adding a mid sweep control so you can dial it in where you want it.

My JVM had good cleans to begin with, but these mods made it better. Also, swapping the EL34s out for KT77s will help. Their tone is kind if a happy medium between EL34s and 6L6s.
          Wanted: 1982 Gibson Les Paul Standard, Serial Number 82232531.

Comment

Boogers.
            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

JCM 2000 DSL 50.
              The more gear you buy, and the more often you buy the gear, the less often the music is made.

Comment

Originally posted by jball85 View Post
                JCM 2000 DSL 50.
                The 100, too. The green channel on clean mode is really quite sparkly.
                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
                Originally posted by Securb
                The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

I appreciate all the replies but I gotta say it, most of you said Mesa boogie and I personally don't like mesas. Their cleans to me are barely par and their high gain is too metal focused. Plus they're too expensive for their overall quality.

Comment

Originally posted by JacobThe13th View Post
                    ... I personally don't like mesas.... their high gain is too metal focused...
                    In your original posting, you specifically mentioned 'metal' when describing high gain that you like.

So that we can help you, can you clarify or give examples of high gain that you do like?
                    Last edited by Jack_TriPpEr; 09-15-2014, 09:58 PM.
                    Sanford: "The hardest part about tone chasing is losing the expectations associated with the hardware."

Comment

from what he has said he must mean hair metal and not new metal. I almost got a mesa, but I had the same take on them as he does. the cleans seemed sterile to me, and the gain is to intense. I played with triple rec. for about 2 hours trying to get a good classic rock tone and when I would get close the gain would sound fuzzy. maybe I didn't have it in the right mode combinations. that's the other thing that turned me off on mesa they have just as many knobs on the back as they do the front. just to much going on for me. I like my amps simple that's why I love my X100B. kinda hard to dial in a bad tone with that amp, well atleast for me. I realize a lot of people will disagree with me and also not appreciate my mesa cretic and that's fine. if we all liked the same amp there would only be one company and one amp. its nice to have variety.

Comment

Thing is... you shouldnt classify all mesas the same... Just saying I dont like mesas gain is like saying I dont like how chevrolets drive because I tried a Chevette. A triple rec is a very different animal from a MKV which is a very different animal from a lone star which is a very different animal from a blue angel.

Mesas are easy to dial once you know how... the learning curve can be a bit daunting ill give you that but once you understand how things interact its smooth sailing.
                        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

oh i think mesas are great amps just not for me. one of my all time favorite player has used them for years (john pettrucci) i also tired a mkv and just trying to dial in the sound i wanted sent my head spinning. i didi play an express 5:50 that was pretty cool it wasnt to terrible to dial in just decided to go a different direction. one thing i will tell you about mesa is how surprised i was when i called to ask about warranty repair questions (at the time i was looking at getting one and wanted to get a feel for the company). They were very helpful even though i didnt own one, helped me select what amp woudl fit for my needs and get this i actually got a person when i called nto an automated system. The company is awesome and they make cool amps, i didnt mean to mislead or say they are bad just not what i wanted at the end of the day.

Comment

Originally posted by jackson111 View Post
                            oh i think mesas are great amps just not for me. one of my all time favorite player has used them for years (john pettrucci) i also tired a mkv and just trying to dial in the sound i wanted sent my head spinning. i didi play an express 5:50 that was pretty cool it wasnt to terrible to dial in just decided to go a different direction. one thing i will tell you about mesa is how surprised i was when i called to ask about warranty repair questions (at the time i was looking at getting one and wanted to get a feel for the company). They were very helpful even though i didnt own one, helped me select what amp woudl fit for my needs and get this i actually got a person when i called nto an automated system. The company is awesome and they make cool amps, i didnt mean to mislead or say they are bad just not what i wanted at the end of the day.
                            Agreed, the 5:50/5:50+ is a real different sounding amp from the rectos - I have both amps and I am getting ready to sell my recto because the 5:50+ gets me what I need. It's a fairly inexpensive amp for a Mesa and it's very versatile, and easy to dial in as you say. The cleans are better than Recto cleans (although I like the Recto clean sound) and it has a nice spring reverb.

sigpic

Comment

I'm sorry, I should've classified the high gain I like. I like the hard rock pushing almost heavy metal but can also be used for punk rock. I like low end with natural sounding highs that don't sound like the recto fuzz fest.

Comment

Originally posted by JacobThe13th View Post
                                I'm sorry, I should've classified the high gain I like. I like the hard rock pushing almost heavy metal but can also be used for punk rock. I like low end with natural sounding highs that don't sound like the recto fuzz fest.
                                Marshall DSL. Boom, done.
                                Originally posted by crusty philtrum
                                ...Gimme a call when it's time to take 'em out. I don't have a gun, but i have a very sharp pointy stick and enough negativity to take out a small country...
                                Originally posted by Securb
                                The only blackmachine I care about is sitting in my jeans.

Comment

Working...
                                X