First bass?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: First bass?

Ugh. I did a lot of that when I was active duty Navy and Marines. At least you make a decent salary, I'm guessing.
    Originally posted by DrNewcenstein
    To understand the idiot, you must think like an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by Funkfingers View Post
      Reggie. I currently work seventy plus hour weeks on an oil refinery turnaround. Can I count on your support?
      Ouch. Got your back, bro.

(Although I didn't know one could steer those huge things... )
      sigpic
      "Add about a half-a-teacup o' bass...."
      --'King' Curtis Ousley

Visit me on Facebook
      Originally posted by Lewguitar
      In our heart of hearts we're love. That's who we really are.

Comment

Here's a maxim that's true far more often than it's false: you get what you pay for.
        Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
        Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
          Here's a maxim that's true far more often than it's false: you get what you pay for.
          Sometimes true sometimes you're paying more just for the name on it. I'll take a Squire VM series over a MIM Fender standard series. My VM Jag bass sounds and plays far better than a $180 bass should (I did get it on sale at GC) I also had a Squire tele that I sold and replaced with a MIM Fender tele and the fender is nowhere near as good. I'd also buy an epiphone long before I'd buy an entry level Gibson that costs $300 more.
          sigpic
          Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Squire or Yamaha.
            sigpic Wes
            Originally posted by Robert S.
            I love you too Charlie!
            Now I have to find a way to gouge out my minds eye.

Comment

$220 for a new Squier Vintage Modified Tele bass. Not a bad starting point.

Click image for larger version

Name:	telebass.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	4.7 KB
ID:	5781081

I would actually get this for myself, but I'd still plan on replacing the J pickup. And the bridge. And eventually, most likely, the neck.
              Originally posted by DrNewcenstein
              To understand the idiot, you must think like an idiot.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	JagBsVM3TS.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	28.5 KB
ID:	5781084
                This is what I have Squire Vintage Modified Jaguar Special Bass (both the short scale version). It rocks, I almost like it as much as my Gibson EB that cost 5x as much
                sigpic
                Gibson LP Trad Pro II->Various pedals->MEsa Boogie MkV->Owensby/219 Guitar Works Vertical Slant 2x12 w/WGS ET-65 and Veteran 30.

Comment

Cort GB Custom has SD as OEM pickups. Ibanez ATK is a nice starter too. Pretty versatile.

Comment

How about a used Fender made in Mexico P-Bass or Jazz Bass? Classic sounds, pretty good build quality, easy to modify should you choose, and lots of used basses out there to check out.

Comment

Originally posted by toneseeker74 View Post
                      How about a used Fender made in Mexico P-Bass or Jazz Bass? Classic sounds, pretty good build quality, easy to modify should you choose, and lots of used basses out there to check out.
                      +1. Good choices.
                      "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                      "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                      "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                        I would place my faith in Yamaha in that selection. And never overlook LTD.
                        This
                        Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

I'd just like to add that I just acquired a bass for my school program. It is an epiphone Thunderbird and I am seriously impressed with it. New it was 299
                          Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Comment

Originally posted by 80's_Metal View Post
                            It is an epiphone Thunderbird and I am seriously impressed with it. New it was 299

I've got one of the Epi neck-thru Thunderbirds and it's my favorite bass. Great tone and sustain.
                            "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                            "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                            "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

My .02 .............

It's new to you & it might not stick, so I wouldn't spend a ton & look for something used (and maybe upgraded already )

Check out www.talkbass.com Read some of the threads there & check out the For Sale ads.

Look into the Squier Classic Vibe series.

Discover the sound of Fender, the spirit of rock-n-roll since 1946. Shop Fender guitars, basses, amplifiers, audio equipment, accessories, apparel and more.

I recently bought a basically new CV '60s Tele off craigslist for $200 & I'm pleasantly surprised at how sweet that guitar is. My brother has a '50s Tele & loves it too, so I'd imagine the basses are just as good.

If it sticks & you dig it, you can always upgrade the electronics & have a sweet player for little coin that you can play out & risk damage or leave around the kids & not cry if it gets dinged.

Either way, bass is a lot of fun......good luck !!!!
                              Last edited by PUCKBOY99; 10-05-2014, 06:37 PM.

Guitars: Frankinstein TeleBird/Classic Vibe Esquire w/BG-1400/Martin 000-28EC
                              Amps: 3rd Power Dream Solo 4 '68 Plexi/Port City Wave 2x12
                              FX: Skinpimp Faceplant/Skinpimp 3OD/Flyin' Dragon

https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/fa...wn/id786464154
                              http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/seanhanley

Comment

My first bass was a Washburn T14 , nice long thin neck, lightweight and great for someone getting into bass playing, I wish I'd never sold it, I'd recommend that or one of the lower model Ibanes SGR's similar style to the ESP you where looking at easy to use, and sell fairly cheap 2nd hand if you want to save a bit of cash!

Comment

Working...
                                X