Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Need a little boost advice

Originally posted by knob? View Post
    ...forgot to mention the SHO on my short list, looks a bit pricey but id rather buy one pedal once.
    Just so you know: lots of folks building clones of this one for a lot less money if you're the kind of guy who doesn't disapprove of cloning. If you are, then your argument makes a lot of sense to me: it's a very cool pedal (IMHO) and better buy a cool pedal once than swap and trade for a while...

Comment

Another vote for the MXR micro amp AND do try the JOYO Sweet Baby, an extremely mild OD (almost clean) boost for $38 to $40. Little risk here.

Comment

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
        * Twilight; You need SEVERAL boosts? WTF?!?!?!?!
        I have 4 and sometimes use two at a time. I have my BBE Freq Boost, MOOG MF Boost, Morley PWB and a TWA Triskelion. The TWA and the BBE sound fantastic together. The BBE Freq Boost is often overlooked and can be found still on Ebay dirt cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
          Keeley Katana.
          Big fan myself. Everything sounds better with it on! Also a great way to account for Gibson/Fender output difference.
          Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

The secret weapon on my pedal board is DOD FX10 preamp. It's mostly always on, with just a slight boost.. I also have a Boost Grande but haven't integrated it into my set-up.

Bill
            When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by IM4Tone View Post
              Another vote for the MXR micro amp AND do try the JOYO Sweet Baby, an extremely mild OD (almost clean) boost for $38 to $40. Little risk here.
              I love my Sweet Baby. Not sure if I'd use it as a boost or not, but it stacks very well with my OCD clone.
              Go Packers!

Comment

Great thread. Been using the Electro Harmonix LPB-1 as a solo boost. Very simple, works well, but certainly isn't the last word in boost pedals.

I did want super simple, so it was down to the EH and the MXR Micro Amp. Still may check out the Micro, although after gigging with the EH, I can see how having adjustable treble might be a good thing.

Comment

So many! I have an Xotic EP on all the time set at unity, first in line from the guitar - it's just such a nice tone shaper. I didn't like it nearly as much when I tried it as a dedicated booster. My dirt and drive generally come from Fulltone OCD and Plimsoul (a wonderful pedal!), and I recently added an Xotic BB Mid Booster as the last pedal in my chain, specifically as a lead boost over and above everything else (the mid pot really helps here - I don't use the pedal's gain, just the volume near-max). This setup works really nicely with all my amps (I'm an EL84 boy) - and I put them all in front of the preamp, though do plan to experiment with the booster in loop.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X