NGD! MXR Carbon Copy!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: NGD! MXR Carbon Copy!

Honestly, one of the all time greats at this point….

Boss DM3

Ibanez AD9

and now….MXR Carbon Copy
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I loves my carbon copy. when I used to play in a band I used to occasionally crank the regen, then I would hit a note and play with the delay knob. as long as it didn't get out hand its can produce all type of funky yet cool spacey echo tones. drove the singer nuts know that I thank about it maybe that was why I did it to get under his skin. well pretty cool either way. awesome pedal

Comment

Originally posted by Rich_S View Post
        Hey, all you CC lovers. I'm looking for a second delay for my board. One requirement is, it MUST be MXR-sized, so obviously the CC qualifies. As a long time DD-3 user, I'm worried about the CC's reputation for being "dark". Is it really that dark, or is it just another slightly different voice that will contrast nicely with my DD?

I've also heard it's brighter at shorter delay times. If I'm using is mostly for slapback and the occasional 300-millisecond-ish echo, will the darkness become a non-problem?
        The darkness isn't that noticeable, especially at short times. I replaced a DD6 with my CC and I prefer the sound hands down. It's more lush and organic. My tone seems to have more dimension to it. But if you want alternatives I'd look into the EHX Memory Boy. It's really the only other similar sized analog delay in the price range of the CC.
        Originally posted by Rockstar216
        Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

NGD! MXR Carbon Copy!

Yeah, I've always wondered why the CC gets all the props, and the Memory Toy goes almost unnoticed. For what it is, the CC seems awfully expensive. Just thirty bucks more gets you into boutique territory , like the Disaster Transport Jr. or Belle Epoche, if I'm not mistaken.
          Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
          Rich Stevens

"I am using you; am I amusing you?" - Martha Johnson, What People Do For Fun

Comment

Yeah, I've always wondered why the CC gets all the props, and the Memory Toy goes almost unnoticed. For what it is, the CC seems awfully expensive. Just thirty bucks more gets you into boutique territory , like the Disaster Transport Jr. or Belle Epoche, if I'm not mistaken.
            Or Memory Boy Deluxe which even has tap tempo and the option of overclocking. Fun for those into weird ring mod tones.

Comment

I'm drinking the dark green Koolaid... just bought a used CC off TGP.
              Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
              Rich Stevens

Comment

My first delay was a boss DD-7. I then needed a second delay so I then bought an MXR CC. I then wished I bought a CC first time around!

Some may say they are dark, others may instead say they sound lush. Goes with the territory with analogue style delays. Give it a go as it really depends on what you want.

Comment

Interesting to read the posts on the CC versus the DD-3.

I have a bunch of delays that I've bought or received over the last few years: a couple of DD-3s, a DD-20, BBE Two-Timer, Line 6 Echo Park, Dan Electro FAB Echo and a Rocktron Short--Timer. It's the Short-Timer that has stayed on my board, but it is a BIG pedal. I'm thinking that the Carbon Copy might be a worthy, and smaller, successor to the Short-Timer.

The FAB was good enough for slap back that it wound up on my acoustic guitar pedal board, but a DD-3 will be taking it's place--the extra high end is important to the tone of the acoustic. I'm amazed to see how many touring pros use a DD-3 on their pedal boards.

I had high hopes for the Echo Park, and a few years ago they were the "flavor of the month". Tremendous processing power in a small package, but I'd swear the thing weighs 10 pounds! I like it's ability to do modulation effects on top of the delays. Unfortunately, I quit using mine when it developed clock noise in the output. The DD-20 is simply amazing; I haven't used it live yet. And it is big, but basically four different pedals in one box.

The Two-Timer is similar to the Rocktron, with setting for shorter or longer delays. Haven't really played with it that much to determine how I will use it.

I see them go used for $90-100 in my area, so a Carbon Copy for that price might be a good addition. I'm seeing a lot of guys using them.

Bill
                  When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

I thought those were digital pedals doing analog emulation? To get boutique analog I think you're into Diamond Memory Lane Jr, etc. territory.
                    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Well, I'm not so concerned with the technology inside as how the pedal sounds. Radical concept, I know. So, yes, I would lump the Bell Epoche in with the CC, because they because they're both older-school, lo-fi sounds with modulation and/or wow and flutter. Obviously, the tape-emulating BE takes it to farther extremes.

On the other side I would put the digital delays that don't pretend to be analog; DD-3, other DD-'s in digital mode, Flashback in 2290 mode, etc...

Actually, in my case, this is a second delay on the board for "other" sounds. My #1 is a DD-3. Sound is secondary, though having a voice other than the DD is a nice-to-have. My primary concern was that the pedal HAD to be MXR-sized, because of it's location on my board. The CC gets a lot of props, and I found one for a price that gets around my main complaint which is that the CC seems too expensive for what it is. Problem solved.
                      Tra-la-laa, lala-la-laa!
                      Rich Stevens

Comment

I guess I'm just saying that analog is more pricey in general than digital now, so digital to digital comparisons can get you the excellent DD-7 or TC Flashback.

Regardless, I totally get having two differently voiced delays on the same board. In fact, I think I need to keep my eyes out for a CC...
                        Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
                          I thought those were digital pedals doing analog emulation? To get boutique analog I think you're into Diamond Memory Lane Jr, etc. territory.
                          Way Huge has some pretty cool and affordable analog stuff too. Aqua Puss, Echo Puss and Supa Puss. I've got the latter and the amount of control you've got over the delays is very helpful. Modulation on it is just awesome for atmospheric stuff. Wonder how it stacks up against a Carbon Copy.

Comment

Working...
                          X