Compressor Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Compressor Suggestions

How does the SP compare to the Keeley and Barber?
    Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Originally posted by PFDarkside View Post
      How does the SP compare to the Keeley and Barber?
      Good question. I'd like to know myself.

Comment

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
        Check the trading post, I think that someone there has a Keeley 4 knob for sale at a decent price.
        This: https://forum.seymourduncan.com/show...nob-compressor

Comment

Thanks. I saw that. Above my budget. Even used, Keeley's are out of my range.

Comment

Any thoughts on the Electro-Harmonix Soul Preacher?

Comment

No go.....it is annoying, even when you tame it with the internal trimmer....

Comment

I would stay away from the Joyo on principle (at least for a compressor…other stuff, whatever)

The MXR is an "effect" to me. It is the comp to use when you need the audible quash on the tone (country / 80's pop)

I am a HUGE fan and owner of the Boss Monte Allums and own one.

Also - for cheap, check out a Modtone Lemon Squeeze.

IMO - what compressors really depends on
                a) How you are going to use it and
                b) How much time you are willing to invest in learning how compression works. More knobs = more time
                Originally posted by Bad City
                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Compressor Suggestions

What I need it for is to add some sustain to my clean tone and keep it even without some of the attack jumping out too much. Pretty much what a compressor does.

I know how one works, just that the only one that didn't make me walk away from it was the Keeley and that is way out of my price range and more than what I would spend on a pedal. I can't justify it.

The Boss is in the running and I'm definitely going to check out the MXR Custom Comp. With the internal controls it has the same ones as the Boss.
                  Last edited by ErikH; 10-10-2014, 05:38 PM.

Comment

I wanted a smaller comp and I wanted a subtler less effected comp that doesn't boost your noise as much. I have and use the Malekko Red Comp, which is supposedly a Ross clone. Trey Anastasio uses that as an on all the time tone shaper and I really love his tone so figured it would work for me.

I had the CS3 for a little while and I did like it. With its controls I found it easy to get a good subtle compression and a great squishy effected sound. But I found the Malekko Comp to be even smoother and more subtle.

I leave it on almost all the time along with reverb. But unlike reverb, I can live without a compressor haha.

Guitar->pedals->amp
                    Gear:
                    Fender '03 CIJ Antigua Strat
                    Epi Dot Natural
                    Partscaster blackie
                    Breedlove Passport Mahogany
                    VOX V845 -> MXR Blue Box -> Boss CS-3 -> MXR Phase 90 -> Paul C. Tim OD -> Fulltone Plimsoul -> Boss CE-3 -> EHX Memory Toy -> SD Deja Vu Delay >
                    Marshall Artist 30 4202 or Bugera V5

I WORK FOR GC, IF YOU NEED A DEAL PM ME!!!

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                      What I need it for is to add some sustain to my clean tone and keep it even without some of the attack jumping out too much. Pretty much what a compressor does.

I know how one works, just that the only one that didn't make me walk away from it was the Keeley and that is way out of my price range and more than what I would spend on a pedal. I can't justify it.

The Boss is in the running and I'm definitely going to check out the MXR Custom Comp. With the internal controls it has the same ones as the Boss.
                      I have a Boss CS-3. It's good. I have two Keeleys, one 2 knob and one 4. If you settle for less, you will eventually wind up just spending more time and money. $180 is a deal. Look at what a rackmount would cost.

Comment

The Barber Tone Press - my favorite!! http://www.barberelectronics.com/CompactTonePress.html

Studio quality sound and you can dial the compression in via a parallel circuit. See if you can find a used one!

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post

With the internal controls it has the same ones as the Boss.
                          Then you MUST get one with attack and sustain knobs. Just get the Boss and be done.

Internal controls will be a PITA to deal with.

Comment

And again - people get all Boo-teeky. CS3's have been used forever and a day bone stock. More important on ANY comp is setting it correctly. Very few people can do that well.

There are some great comp use threads in here, by the way.

Comment

^^ Agreed, the settings are the most important thing. Someone should post a tutorial.

Comment

I'd dig a compressor tutorial... I usually set a mild amount of compression and unity gain, with attack all the way up. But messing around I can get some cool squashed tones with the ratio up higher, but it's usually guess and check. A solid tutorial would be cool.

Looks like most of these pedals are all variations on the same circuit, some with more controls and some with less. So.... I think trying the Dyna Comp or Boss would probably be a great move. (Especially since there are a million used ones)
                                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Working...
                                X