Compressor Suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Compressor Suggestions

Thanks for all the feedback. I was watching eBay and came across a Boss CS-3 for half of what they cost new. The fun part, it is new. The guys says he opened the box but never used it. Score.

Comment

There was a blog dedicated to comp reviews, ovi labs/omni labs/cant remember the name, some good stuff in there to read.

Comment

I like the Monte Allums CS-3 too. But my favorite is the BYOC 5-knob Compressor, which has a blend knob and sounds amazing, though you have to build it yourself.
        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Compressor Suggestions

Originally posted by Demanic View Post
          I have a Boss CS-3. It's good. I have two Keeleys, one 2 knob and one 4. If you settle for less, you will eventually wind up just spending more time and money. $180 is a deal. Look at what a rackmount would cost.
          It's not a settle for a less, it's an "in reality what can I spend on one and can justify" thing. I've got a family to support as well and the price of a Keeley, as much as I like it, is too steep for me, even used.
          Last edited by ErikH; 10-12-2014, 04:33 PM.

Comment

Compressor Suggestions

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
            I like the Monte Allums CS-3 too. But my favorite is the BYOC 5-knob Compressor, which has a blend knob and sounds amazing, though you have to build it yourself.
            I hadn't thought about that one. Not a big deal for me putting one together as I've built pedals before. Just a matter of finding time to take over the kitchen table for a few hours to do that. Lol. The CS-3 should do the trick.
            Last edited by ErikH; 10-12-2014, 11:42 AM.

Comment

Again - I think a TON of people are tone seekers with Comps just have no idea how to use them.

What EXACTLY are you trying to do to your cleans? And in what setting and/or context?
              Originally posted by Bad City
              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Compressor Suggestions

Originally posted by Aceman View Post
                Again - I think a TON of people are tone seekers with Comps just have no idea how to use them.

What EXACTLY are you trying to do to your cleans? And in what setting and/or context?
                I already answered that in a prior post and you quoted back. . Unless you mean this to be to anyone in general.

Comment

Oh yeah…just getting old!

This is a no brainer to set:

Start - Set the attack wide open. Let it all through. Turn sustain all the way down. Level in middle.

1. Turn sustain up until it sustains as much as you want. IF you hot a point where the noise is too great but you don't have the sustain you need, you have a tough decision. Keep in mind the context - band v recording. And be reasonable. A comp IS a gain device. There will likely be some noise added. Even if only a little, even on a boot eek one.

2. Then, start turning the attack back until it is even enough for you.

3. Finally, set the level until you just can't quite hear the effect of the compressor. tweak it up/down/up to know where the line is. Then set it just under the line and leave it alone.

4. Tweek highs if necessary.

Smooth even tone, long sustain, and no one will know why it is awesome. Except you….
                  Originally posted by Bad City
                  He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Originally posted by ErikH View Post
                    What I need it for is to add some sustain to my clean tone and keep it even without some of the attack jumping out too much. Pretty much what a compressor does.

I know how one works, just that the only one that didn't make me walk away from it was the Keeley and that is way out of my price range and more than what I would spend on a pedal. I can't justify it.

The Boss is in the running and I'm definitely going to check out the MXR Custom Comp. With the internal controls it has the same ones as the Boss.
                    Check your premise. If the Keeley was the only one that didn't make you walk away, then would not that justify spending that upon a pedal? Better to save up and get the thing that you really want then to "make do" and never be happy with what you spend less on.

Comment

Check your premise. If the Keeley was the only one that didn't make you walk away, then would not that justify spending that upon a pedal? Better to save up and get the thing that you really want then to "make do" and never be happy with what you spend less on.
                      yes this I agree with

it only costs twice as much to get exactly what you want
                      EHD
                      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Compressor Suggestions

I know my premise, and I know what I can spend. My budget is what it is. Thanks for understanding.

Finding a CS-3 for $50 shipped that's never been used is a pretty darn good deal. I've seen some pretty beat up go for the same and even more.
                        Last edited by ErikH; 10-12-2014, 05:27 PM.

Comment

A CS-3 is a good pedal. I made do with one for years. I hope one day that you find a good deal on a Keeley.

Comment

I'm ok with Wampler's Ego. After trying several, some classics (Dyna Comp, Dyna Comp Script reissue, etc), some newer (Mad Professor's Forest Green, etc), I went for Ego, because it has everything set together. You can use it mixing the right amount of Compressor or Sustainer effect and, you can even use Parallel Compression (Studio-like). Everything made great a particular compressor is packed all together.
                            My blog: http://hermeticoguitar.blogspot.com
                            My Youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/hermeticoguitar

Comment

I can't agree with this. Sure, if money isn't a serious limiting factor this is how most people would approach pedals, but in a situation where you really CAN'T afford the price on a pedal, there's no reason not to "settle" for something else. I'm in a similar situation myself, would I love to have a Wampler Paisley, JHS Morning Glory and a Klon (or a boutique Klone) on my board? You bet I would, but since I can't afford those pedals at the moment, I'll happily use my MXR CBAM OD, my Mooer Blues Crab and my EHX Soul Food. They all sound good and do the job I need them to do when I play out.

And, BTW, it's not like we are talking about a POS compressor, we are talking about a Boss that is on a LOT of pro boards.
                              Go Packers!

Comment

Joyo does the job

Just sayin
                                EHD
                                Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                                RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                                SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                                Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                                Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                                Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                                Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                                GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Working...
                                X