X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Blog: All About Bass Strings

Pluck here.

Click image for larger version

Name:	playing-bass-guitargetting-the-right-sound-with-half-wound-bass-strings-music-bzk7vto8-300x156.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	12.0 KB
ID:	5834878
    Evan Skopp, Inside Track International
    Sales and marketing reps for Musopia, Reunion Blues, and Q-Parts.

Re: Blog: All About Bass Strings

Nice. I've played stainless steel on my J bass for a long time. Sounds really clear (escpecially the low notes) with great longevity, but the feel could be better. Might try some of those frozen strings one of these days.

Comment

I didn't expect the truth about bass strings from a marketer of them, and sure enough didn't get it.

Bass strings are the most important component of a bass and not only the most misunderstood, but the most defectively made -- at least in terms of fit and tension balance, and yes these DO matter. I've never seen an intelligent discussion of these problems on the net, though there have been innumerable ones about the symptoms these problems create, without ever recognizing strings as the source.

Strings are one of those huge blind spots on Bass forums. People don't want to hear about it.
      You all became so much smarter and more mature when I turned off sigs and avatars! Wow, it's like magic!
      DATA, NOT DISCUSSION

Comment

Originally posted by Bezmotivnik View Post
        I didn't expect the truth about bass strings from a marketer of them, and sure enough didn't get it.
        I'm sorry to hear you say that, but what truths was I leaving out of an article specifically geared toward players that were just starting to explore the vast array of different string types out there? Especially for a beginner, learning the differences between the materials is going to be confusing enough before you start trying to talk about balanced tension, which then goes into another question. Is it balanced because the formulas say it is, or that the sound and feel of the strings is the same? Oftentimes, those two things aren't directly linked.

Originally posted by Bezmotivnik View Post
        Strings are one of those huge blind spots on Bass forums. People don't want to hear about it.
        Really?
        I write Articles for Seymour Duncan
        I write Articles for Bass Musician Magazine

Comment

Yes... The truth must be told! The balance, the tension... It's all coming together now...
          It's people... BASS STRINGS ARE MADE OUT OF PEOPLE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Falloffthebonetone View Post
            Yes... The truth must be told! The balance, the tension... It's all coming together now...
            It's people... BASS STRINGS ARE MADE OUT OF PEOPLE!!!
            Correction: COATED bass strings are made out of people.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Monkey View Post
              Correction: COATED bass strings are made out of people.
              What kind of people are tapewound strings are made out of?
              '69 Fender Mustang bass
              '69 Gibson EB-1
              '76 Rickenbacker 4001 w/SD for Rick N & B
              '76 Fender Precision w/Dimarzio Model P
              '84 MIJ Fender Jazz Bass Special w/SD Hot for P neck & Dimarzio Model J for bridge [BEAD tuning]
              '99 Fretless MIJ Fender Precision/'87 MIJ Fender Squier Jazz hybrid w/SD QP for Jazz
              '12 MIM Fender Jazz w/Dimarzio Model J
              '14 Fretless Warmoth Custom T w/ SDCS Stack for SCPB N & B

Comment

Originally posted by dg27 View Post
                What kind of people are tapewound strings are made out of?
                Seriously, let's stop all these silly questions. Everyone already knows that tapewound strings are made of tapeworms, pulled from the stomachs of people after the proper incubation period. Seriously now.

Comment

I'm really not happy how that blog ends up giving an impression that DR is a "round core company". Only a small minority of DR strings sold are round score, namely the sunbeams and the hi-beams. But their lo-rider easily outsell them.

The only company really in the round core camp is Fodera.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                    I'm really not happy how that blog ends up giving an impression that DR is a "round core company". Only a small minority of DR strings sold are round score, namely the sunbeams and the hi-beams. But their lo-rider easily outsell them.

The only company really in the round core camp is Fodera.
                    DR is the only MAJOR company in the round core camp. I should've mentioned they also do hex as well, but I stand by it. You go into any Guitar Center or other store and ask for a set of round core strings, you will NOT be walking out with a set of Fodera nickels.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Monkey View Post
                      DR is the only MAJOR company in the round core camp. I should've mentioned they also do hex as well, but I stand by it. You go into any Guitar Center or other store and ask for a set of round core strings, you will NOT be walking out with a set of Fodera nickels.
                      They might make the majority of round core strings but the majority of strings they make is not round core.

I feel this is doing DR injustice, namely because DR is one of the few companies that actually states clearly what you get. Round or hex core, stainless steel or nickel plated winds - it says so right on the packaging and on the website. For other manufacturers you have to go find random forum posts to even find out what you get. They screw up some naming but that's pretty mild compared to the voodoo game that most other manufacturers play.

Comment

You're always free to post that in a comment in the blog post, if you feel that I didn't state it clearly enough (and the blog is such that, once it's posted, I can't edit it).

No arguing on their packaging, although they also mention a lot of things that EVERYONE does that don't necessarily need to be stated, like "polished" flat wound strings. We all polish our strings; you have to. The flat ribbon wire is sharp on the edges, and doesn't lay completely flat. If you don't polish them smooth to remove the burrs and odd edges that sit up, you'll have players cutting themselves. That would be akin to Chevy releasing a new "painted exterior" Cobalt for 2015.

Comment

Cause you know I'm all about that bass (string).
                          Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
                          Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
                          Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
                          Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
                          Line 6 Helix
                          Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Working...
                          X