Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Reverb vs Delay

I use reverb for two things:

1. Keep it below or equal to 1.0s to make the guitar sound bigger.
    2. Keep it above 1.0s to get the effect of the reverb type more prominently, like say hall or room type reverb.

I don't use reverb live much, i mostly rely on natural reverb of the space to take effect.

Now delay i use all the time, usually in front of the amp with shorter repeats & lower feedback & level. I guess about 400ms is the highest i go for clean stuff & about 240 for dirt.

Comment

Playing in a 50's rock and roll type band I have a delay permanently on for a slap back type sound

Comment

In the end, I'm more of a reverb person...but some slapback action is still desired for lead from time to time
        "The amp has been making a lot of noise and acting funky, perhaps it may be aware of the amount of rock it's about to be punished with" ~GearMannDude
        "30 days of dating doesn't seem like cheating. It seems like legitimate playing the field, and you happened to catch a pop fly..." ~Aceman
        "If all else fails, wank, fall asleep, come back to it the next day." ~GuitarStv
        "The crowd has no perception of tone...only timing and flow." ~Glassman

Comment

I use my trusty Boss DD-2 for slap back and/or making my leads sound better than I am. No reverb here. Washes out the sound live anytime I try it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

My I like my sound the way I like to shave... Dry!

(err.. no)

Comment

Rockabilly/Surf---Spring/Slap-Back
              Classic Rock-----Hall or Plate
              Soaring Solos---Gate
              Textural Palm-mute picking---Delay and Room, Hall, Plate, or Spring

Comment

I play mostly clean and solo stuff, so I'm in a different boat than most. I don't need to balance my sound with other people, only my voice. I typically use whatever I feel like. Sometimes delay, sometimes reverb, sometimes both and sometimes neither. I've found that, like Rich, if I can turn my amp up more I don't need (or like) the effects, and that is my favorite sound. A loud dry amp feeling wet just because of the volume. At quieter gigs, like I said, mostly what I'm feeling that night. I don't have any songs that need any effects so I can add or take them away freely.
                Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
                Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Both and sometimes I run them together. I have even run both of my delays with the reverb, but I have to be in a special state of mind.

Comment

Aside from yesterday's joke -

I'm a delay and reverb at the same time guy. More important is a lush reverb (that does not mean dripping wet at a high mix). Sometimes the delay gets in the way....

I'm not big on spring, I'm partial to Lexicon at the moment via a PCM81. The H9 verbs are no slouch either.

Comment

Originally posted by LReese View Post
                      The H9 verbs are no slouch either.
                      I've got the Space. Damn good reverbs in there. With some tweaking, I could get the spring reverb sounding virtually the same as the actual spring tank in my Boogie Studio.

Comment

I use both in small quantities. I try to go for just enough to be perceptible but not so much that you notice it. If that makes any sense....

Comment

That's how I like to mix reverb in a recording. Just enough that it's noticeable, then back it down a notch.
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

I think there is a big difference between a spring reverb in the amp, staying mono, just thickening it up. And studio style reverb that blends the whole thing into a wide stereo thing behind the singer. Both have their uses but as people pointed out, in a semi-professional live show the latter can come out odd or water down the punch in the band.

Echo is a bit easier to understand and control.

Comment

I'm going to start out by being a bit geeky, b/c it's part of how I approach guitar:

Delay is actually a larger term that applies to:

flanging
                              chorus
                              reverb
                              certain types of pitch shifting
                              echo (slap back, rhythmic, spacious)
                              certain types of looping

Granted it's iffy that this applies to spring or plate reverbs. But I'm focusing on pedals here.

And yes I do get that the vernacular use of "delay" usually refers to the echo portion of that list. But I'm talking about my own attitude.

I agree that there are reverb pedals that can be echo-ey, and there are delay pedals that can sound reverb-ey. It's handy to have something flexible, especially live.

I appreciate that for a lot of players, echo and delay are mainly used to add some depth or thickness to their sound, which may be more applicable in some settings than others. And in some cases it's just about using them in ways that certain styles require (slap back or the Edge thing).

But for me, effects are part of the overall music/sound palette, as much as the guitar, amp, or even notes and chords. Sometimes what I'm using the guitar for is to create a wash or wall of reverb, as opposed to using the reverb to "decorate" the guitar, and it's the reverb that is the actual music.

Also, I have a particular guitar piece that is all about echo. The notes coming from the echo are equally important to the notes I'm playing. I might then add reverb after the fact to put it in a more specific "space".

So, to keep it short, for me, reverb and "delay" (echo) are not interchangeable or competitive at all, and are often effects I use together
                              Last edited by reghunt; 11-18-2014, 06:50 PM.

Comment

Speaking as a guy with two separate reverb settings on the amp, two delays, and a delay/reverb pedal on his board….

Reverb: Always a touch of reverb! And as mentioned, louder = less. Outdoors = none. clean > distorted. Room for jazz, hall for rock, plate for Van Halen/vocals. I will often go deep on verb for Blues.

Delay: Varies by mood, but usually some medium with repeats (80s/Leads), but occasional a tight metallic one for tug brootallzzz! Outdoors I use delay ONLY. The delay I use really varies by the song. Could be a single slap (Ain't talking' bout love) to a short/medium (You're In Love) to long trailing repeats (anything from Hysteria). I have a favorite low level slap I use for jazzin'

I REALLY like Reverb + delay!!!!! Again - not too much of either, but likely my favorite sound. Not too likely to use that live - except that as mentioned, there is always a touch of verb on anyway (except outdoors)
                                Originally posted by Bad City
                                He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                                X