banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

getting frustrated find dirt pedals for vox ac15.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• getting frustrated find dirt pedals for vox ac15.

I have had my vox for a few weeks now I really like the clean tone. It seems to pair great with my les paul junior. But so far I can not find a gain pedal that works with it. I have taken my amp and guitar to the shop with me twice to try pedals. Both times I would find stuff that sounded good but when i get everything home I can not get them dialed in. I can maybe find one sweet spot that sounds good but if I touch a knob it throws it off completely.
    I am generally a set and forget person besides adjusting the gain knob here and there depending on my mood. But no matter what pedal i have tried if I touch the gain or level it starts to sound like ****. The sound either gets too harsh and bee in a can sounding or turns to flubby mud. Today i picked up a new rat a big muff and an ocd pedal. They all sounded great at the store and i could dial in alot of good tones with each pedal.
    Stacking them in different orders had good results as well. I get everything back home and hooked up and none of it sounds good. If inturn the tone past 10-11 o'clock on any of them it gets harsh and just plain awful. If i turn the gain past 1-2 o'clock on any of them its so fuzzy there is no note definition at all. I can see the rat and big muff getting all fuzzed out but the ocd is getting just as fuzzy.
    So far inhave tried
    Bogner red and blue
    big muff
    ocd
    rat
    super bad ass
    jetter gold standard
    mxr prime distortion
    metal muff
    hardwire valve distortion
    full drive 2
    along with several xotic and wampler pedals. I am not expecting to make the vox sound like a marshall but just want a good smoother heavy distortion. I am starting to wonder if something may be wrong with my amp or something. In the 20 years I have been playing I have owned amps from peavey to splawn and and few bogners. But I have never had this problem before. I know its not my ears my wife even commented on how none of it sounds good compared to in the store.

Re: getting frustrated find dirt pedals for vox ac15.

Are you bringing your Vox back to the store to try them out? Maybe there is something wrong with your vox.
    Originally posted by Good Will Hunting
    Real loss is only possible when you love something more than you love yourself.

Comment

Could be the room you are practicing in at home. If the space at the store was big and wide open, then you really heard the amp and pedals at the store. If your room is small at home, then you are hearing a lot of the wall reflection and cancellation/boosting of incorrect frequencies from the closed in/smaller space.

Try removing any furniture or upholstery/rugs to liven it up, or add rugs/furniture with upholstery to tame harsh high end and undesired reflections that mix with the amp sound.

Most likely, if the bass gets flubby you are hearing the standing waves of the room size adding to your low end sound, making it muddy and indistinct. You would need some kind of diffusor on the walls to break up the standing wave at home.

Comment

Yeah I have been taking it and my guitar with me. I know stuff always sounds different in the stores but it should not be that drastic.

Comment

Are you playing at the same volume levels in both locations?

Comment

Odd, I get a great "smooth heavy" sound from the AC15 at the practice space I go to from time to time. "Top Boost" channel, every knob on 10, and my Duncan Pickup Booster (OG edition) with the gain set to whatever I feel like that day. I've actually always had the impression that the AC15 was really easy to dial in. Pretty sure I've got decent results with a Black Russian muff as well.

I'm going to echo the above concerns about room and volume. Not sure what else would be going on. I've never played it at a reasonable volume level, its always cranked full throttle…perhaps therein lies the key?
            Originally posted by Aceman
            It was the age of suave. Men were men, and women were smacked and thrown on the bed and loved it.

Comment

I bought an AC 15 once. I play clean + drive pedals and also found no great tones I liked with any of the pedals I have/had at the time. It went back.

Comment

Dirt pedals with low headroom amps is always tricky IME. You might prefer going with something a bit less heavy, like a simple clean booster.

As for the different sound in different places, that's just how sound works. Every room sounds different.
                Originally posted by LesStrat
                Yogi Berra was correct.
                Originally posted by JOLLY
                I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Like i said in your last thread, I love ac15s, but like all amps they can't do everything. Being a pedal platform is just not their groove. They are a funky, low powered, aggressive and characterful vintage class A combo. Thats all great stuff if thats your groove too, but you cant fit a square peg in a round hole. If you don't dig the natural dirt of the amp then perhaps you need something more neutral and pedal friendly. Preferable something with some more headroom.
                  Last edited by Chickenwings; 11-20-2014, 03:39 AM.
                  "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                  Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I am going to try different placements in my jam room to see if that helps. I have read a few things about voxes not being pedal friendly. But have also read that they are even the guys at pro guitar shop told me voxes take pedals pretty well on the phone. But people hear things different. I have been looking at other amos in the same price range. But I can not try any in person. Unless its a vox a modeling amp and some fenders no one around here carries anything else. A good clean sound is important to me and I never cared for the fender sound.
                    Ideally I could keep the vox for clean and get a peavey 6505 combo for gain. But space and funds will not allow it. i had an orange OR15 head that i loved the sound of but i could not switch from clean to distorted. One day after we get some work done to the house I plan on buying an OR50 or a thunderverb 50. I have wondered if some of the problem is the stock P90. Combined with the room and other factors. I have noticed even using the amps gain its fuzzy and weak sounding in my room.
                    It sounds like a tube screamer with the tone about 4 o'clock and the gain at around 11 o'clock. I need to check the tubes aswell. Just to make sure.

Comment

Curious. What guitar, pickup?

Where are you putting these pedals in your pedal chain? What other effects are you using?

I wonder if switching the v1 preamp tube would make a difference. Try a different brand, or even a tube with a different gain rating, like subbing a 12AT7 (or 12AY7).

Another thing it could be is your house...there might be a difference in the outlet voltage, and this can seriously affect the tone and feel of an amp. Good time to make sure you're using the correct power supplies for the pedals. Have you tried batteries?

Try a VOX pedal, like their Saturator or some of the newer ones. Vox + Vox could be a winner.

Good luck.

Bill
                      Last edited by Boogie Bill; 11-20-2014, 04:18 AM.
                      When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Does it have a g12m 25 in it? The combo? I know some newer ones do.

12m25s can get messy, mushy, and compressed in a bad way when hit with too much gain, and with heavy mid and bass amp settings. Combine it with a mI'd range and compressed vox preamp AND dirt boxes, and you are asking for trouble.

Try a low gain tube in V1, and a clean boost type pedal.

I also think you might just need to realize the limitations of the amp.
                        I'm an internet person. All we do is waste time evaluating things that have next-to-zero real world significance.

Remember, it's just a plank of wood. YOU have to find the music in it - The Telecaster Handbook

Comment

Try using it with an extension cab. Speakers can radically change the way an amp sounds, so you mix the bright clean sound that you like with something maybe smoother and darker in the extension cab and you end up with the best of both worlds.
                          Join me in the fight against muscular atrophy!

Originally posted by Douglas Adams
                          This planet has - or rather had - a problem, which was this: most of the people living on it were unhappy for pretty much of the time. Many solutions were suggested for this problem, but most of these were largely concerned with the movements of small green pieces of paper, which is odd because on the whole it wasn't the small green pieces of paper that were unhappy.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	4717_Crowther_Audio_Hotcake_a.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	5781696
                            Trainspotter

"...the real key is a good warm delay and lots of lysergic acid diethylamid"

Comment

The guitar I am using is a les paul junior with single P90. I am not expecting it to sound like a marshall or anything like that. When I bought the amp I tried it out for about 2 hours with my guitar and alot of different pedals. I have taken it back to the store twice to try pedals and they sound good. The amp does have a greenback in it. It was one of the reasons I bought it. They are my favorite speaker.
                              I have wondered about the power in our house for a few years now. Our house is over 60 years old and so is the wiring. Most of the plugs are 2 prong instead of 3.

Comment

Working...
                              X