Extra-long-scale conversion necks??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Extra-long-scale conversion necks??

In 26 years of playing bass, I can't recall ever going much, if any, past the twelfth fret, or any song that would benefit from doing so. Therefore I will not be adding any frets to the high end of this bass.
    Originally posted by LesStrat
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Originally posted by JOLLY
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

if it were me
      and its not I know

but if it were
      I would call Carvin
      tell them I needed a 36 inch scale neck that would bolt up top a precision Bass body
      and let them do the math

they have a 35.5 " scale neck
      all they would have to do is match the heel pocket and wrap it up

they could probably make it for you for about what your luthier would charge
      add some stainless frets and a graphite nut
      mmmmmmm

EDIT
      OMG the Peavey Grind BXP is only $399 new
      35" scale
      less than a custom made neck
      http://peavey.com/products/index.cfm...Bass%204%20NTB
      Last edited by ehdwuld; 11-28-2014, 08:58 PM. Reason: edit Peavey Grind BXP
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Originally posted by ehdwuld View Post
        EDIT
        OMG the Peavey Grind BXP is only $399 new
        35" scale
        less than a custom made neck
        http://peavey.com/products/index.cfm...Bass%204%20NTB
        That seems strangely familiar...
        Originally posted by DrNewcenstein
        To understand the idiot, you must think like an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueTalon View Post
          Yea after I posted I looked at what you suggested

You were right[emoji4]

*(Sent from my durned phone!)*
          EHD
          Just here surfing Guitar Pron
          RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
          SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
          Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
          Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
          Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
          Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
          GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

I looked at Carvin. They don't offer what I have in mind.

I just put in a deposit to have the bass made by Brian Monty. Well, mostly made. I will be supplying the body, hardware, and electronics. He will be making the neck and painting the neck and body, and possibly assembling and setting up too.

Neck specs: maple and ebony with white dots. Square heel. 7-1/4" radius with skinny frets. Black early P-Bass ("Tele Bass") headstock face, with Charcoal Frost Metallic on the back. Nut slotted for BEAD tuning.

Body Specs: one piece lightweight ash, painted Charcoal Frost Metallic. B/W/B pickguard

Pickup: S.D. Quarter Pound for Single Coil P-Bass (SCPB-3). I'm going to see if I can get this in a tapped, no-logo version without having to go the full-on Custom Shop route. I might be putting in a Blackouts P-Bass tone control thingy too.

It'll have the early '50's-style bridge and pickup covers, as well as a body-matching thumb rest.
            Last edited by ItsaBass; 01-12-2015, 05:19 PM.
            Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Just ordered a batch of parts. I went with a standard production 1/4 Lb. single coil P-Bass pickup along with a Duncan two-knob preamp (active bass and treble controls). There will be a standard volume control in addition to that. (I will be adding a hole to the control plate.)

Bridge is a Hipshot A4 bottom/top loader, the version that has a slightly longer intonation range.

Tuners are special-ordered "all chrome" Hipshot Ultralite Lollypops.

Hmmm...what else? All the hardware is chrome. I got bridge and pickup covers.
              Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Got everything I need except the tuners.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422080112.201986.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	80.5 KB
ID:	5783962
                Yogi Berra was correct.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                  I looked at Carvin. They don't offer what I have in mind.

I just put in a deposit to have the bass made by Brian Monty. Well, mostly made. I will be supplying the body, hardware, and electronics. He will be making the neck and painting the neck and body, and possibly assembling and setting up too.

Neck specs: maple and ebony with white dots. Square heel. 7-1/4" radius with skinny frets. Black early P-Bass ("Tele Bass") headstock face, with Charcoal Frost Metallic on the back. Nut slotted for BEAD tuning.

Body Specs: one piece lightweight ash, painted Charcoal Frost Metallic. B/W/B pickguard

Pickup: S.D. Quarter Pound for Single Coil P-Bass (SCPB-3). I'm going to see if I can get this in a tapped, no-logo version without having to go the full-on Custom Shop route. I might be putting in a Blackouts P-Bass tone control thingy too.

It'll have the early '50's-style bridge and pickup covers, as well as a body-matching thumb rest.
                  7.25 fretboard radius and smaller frets is preferred over some of the more flat fretboards and larger fret sizes/shapes?

Comment

how did this neck end up working for you?

Comment

Working...
                    X