Worst pups you ever used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Worst pups you ever used

For me the Dimarzio Super 2. To hot undefined and shrill for the neck, painfully shrill harsh abrasive and nasty sounding in the bridge in everything I have tried it in. It's like a Humbucker from hell stuffed with a ceramic mag harshness on steroids. HATE those pickups just absolutely NASTY sounding things!! I like the Dimarzio Super 3 and SD but the Super 2 is useless!!
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

The 490t is the only one that comes to mind, atleast that I can identify. Thin and lifeless
      Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker & SH2b neck)

Comment

i never liked that gibson angus pup either, the first time i heard it i thought it was broken it was so bright and shrill in the sig sg. it sounded okish through a cranked 2204 but still not what i would call good

Comment

Vintage single coils. I have no use for that clank.
          The things that you wanted
          I bought them for you

Comment

Gibson Classic 57 neck pickup. All mud.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk

Comment

If you check out Angus Young's amp settings, he tends to a very different EQ setup than most Marshall users. Pickup may matter less, if he adjusts the EQ to match. May explain the unusual approach to EQ (SG volume & tone at 8), Presence 1, Bass 3, Middle 3, Treble 3, Volume 6, Preamp 8 on 1959 reissues (Superbass or Superlead, with added post-phase inverter master volume (PPIMV)). On record, he used a JTM45 with all knobs pointed straight up. Also used different cabinets with different speakers (live he uses Marshall 4x12s with G12M25s, studio anything from old 20W Celestions to newer greenbacks, and probably G12H30s at some points).

Typically, see bass around 3-4, but mids cranked, treble around 6-7, same for presence, and master volume cranked, but PPIMV would mostly preserve the cranked master setting at lower volumes.

My worst pickups in a guitar I own? Original V2, V1 & S1 were pretty terrible in my RG570. JB in it was an improvement, but an extremely limited one trick pony that was dire for cleans or anything outside hair metal. Flubby, dull, but with piercing upper mids all at same time. Not a good match of pickup to guitar at all.

Worst pickups I've played are probably the DiMarzio (I think Megadrive? Had a thick metal bar in one coil, and small allen heads in other) in a Reb Beach signature model. Not sure if the pickup was at fault, the wiring, or the guitar (cutout of body behind the bridge looked cool, but I don't expect it helped sustain or tone), but the guitar sounded harsh, thin and dull, and the output was pretty low as well. Worst sounding Ibanez I've played. I've always wondered if it was miswired in parallel or something... I watched the staff try the guitar after I did, check the amp, spend a few minutes trying to find a decent sound in the guitar, then give up and hang it back up.

I've played other guitars I didn't like the sound of, but most of them I could imagine some musical purpose someone might like, even if it wasn't one I had any use for. Not that one, which I hope wasn't representative of the model.
              Last edited by Despair; 01-18-2020, 03:28 AM. Reason: Thanks Jeremy, the 100W 1987 claims that are floating around don't seem right at all...

Comment

they said 1987 in the rig rundown, but hes wrong, they are all 1959 100w models.

i dont know if his approach is that odd, its pretty common for guys that are used to nmv amps with no pedals. as far as his pups, i dont know how much he ever used the signature pup.

Comment

Original Lace Alumitone. No mids, flubby bass, super detailed high end. They sound like the worst no name import strat copy pups but cost a LOT more money.

Comment

Ditto for the SD version. Phat Cats? Ugh.

Comment

i love the phat cat bridge!

Comment

I like the Phat Cat neck matched with a mid to low output bridge pickup.

Comment

Stock BC Rich BDSM pickups. Mud City.
                          The opinions expressed above do not necessarily represent those of the poster and are to be considered suspect at best.

Lead guitarist and vocalist of...

Keep up to date on our Facebook

Comment

Without a doubt, the pickups that came stock in my olp and the v7/v8 that came stock in my prestige.

As a side note--- the pickups that came in my $90 ibanez gio sound surprisingly full.

Comment

Dimebucker

Stock Dean pickups that are in the 79' series

Not sure what's worse, the stock Dean pickups in the 79' ML or the dimebucker everyone replaces it with

Also any of those whacky high output dimarzio pickups like crunch lab or whatever that are good for heavy metal power chords and that's all. I don't feel like I'm playing a guitar when I play those, I feel like I'm playing a comic book. It's not for me. I'm not sure what they're actually called it's usually when I'm trying out a friend's guitar.

Also way back in the younger years, like 2005 my friend had this Ibanez with the most horrible pickups. It was a black RG of some sort but that's about all I remember. I do remember the pickups were so bad I gave him a spare JB I had lying around and then we thought it would be fun to take the old pickup and rip it all apart and see what was inside a pickup. That was kinda fun.

Sent from my SM-G965W using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by BeKindRewind; 01-19-2020, 06:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Open lane View Post
                                Without a doubt, the pickups that came stock in my olp and the v7/v8 that came stock in my prestige.

As a side note--- the pickups that came in my $90 ibanez gio sound surprisingly full.
                                Same here. There's plenty awful pickups out there, like the stock ones in most Epi Std. guitars and INF/Powersounds by Ibanez, but none quite as terrible as those two.

The V7/V8 combo is dog**** and probably the worst pickups I've ever had. The fact they came stock in one of the most expensive guitars I've ever bought adds further insult.
                                I used a JB and a Breed among other pickups in that guitar afterwards and they were huge improvements.

I had a Jackson JS32T for a while that had some surprisingly good Jackson pickups, and that guitar was so ridiculously cheap, yet the pickups were clear sounding, reasonably powerful and well balanced. It can't be that hard, right?
                                Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                                Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                                Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                                Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Working...
                                X