Worst pups you ever used

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Worst pups you ever used

For me it was Stock pickups on the Gretsch Streamliner - broadtrons I think they were. Average as grits and a pretty flat EQ response. Dull.

Comment

Originally posted by Dahla View Post
      I played a BC Rich KKV with them stock live for years. They sounded massive and awesome through a marshall dsl2000 cranked through a pa.

Someone uploaded a clip from one of our shows once. Probably can't hear them well...:

It might be the years they made them. I had a Mick Thomson Signature Special Warlock as my first guitar and the pickups in the were absolutely mighty.

I got another MT Warlock about 8 years on and the pickups in that one were terrible - I took them apart and rewound them to get a better tone which, started me winding my own pickups.
      Anything is possible, just not always advisable...

Comment

Originally posted by Open lane View Post
        Without a doubt, the pickups that came stock in my olp and the v7/v8 that came stock in my prestige.

As a side note--- the pickups that came in my $90 ibanez gio sound surprisingly full.
        I remember the V7/V8! They were bollocks...

Comment

I haven't made many pickups yet but, I'm pleased to see that my name isn't up here

Comment

Any EMG Select pickups I have used have been terrible. So have the Kramer Quad-Rails.
            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Originally posted by Mincer View Post
              Any EMG Select pickups I have used have been terrible. So have the Kramer Quad-Rails.
              The QuadRails are better in basswood and poplar guitars in my experience.

It does have a good tone to work with but, again, subjective.

Comment

And any P90 that uses ceramic magnets.

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                  i never liked that gibson angus pup either, the first time i heard it i thought it was broken it was so bright and shrill in the sig sg. it sounded okish through a cranked 2204 but still not what i would call good
                  yeah that sums it up.
                  I like bright and scooped pickups for many applications, but this thing is just way too scooped.

i forgot the ceramic single in my first MIM strat. Also very unpleasant and screechy. But at that Price Point you do not expect too much, so no hard Feelings.

Comment

Originally posted by Despair View Post
                    If you check out Angus Young's amp settings, he tends to a very different EQ setup than most Marshall users. Pickup may matter less, if he adjusts the EQ to match. May explain the unusual approach to EQ (SG volume & tone at 8), Presence 1, Bass 3, Middle 3, Treble 3, Volume 6, Preamp 8 on 1959 reissues (Superbass or Superlead, with added post-phase inverter master volume (PPIMV)). On record, he used a JTM45 with all knobs pointed straight up. Also used different cabinets with different speakers (live he uses Marshall 4x12s with G12M25s, studio anything from old 20W Celestions to newer greenbacks, and probably G12H30s at some points).

Typically, see bass around 3-4, but mids cranked, treble around 6-7, same for presence, and master volume cranked, but PPIMV would mostly preserve the cranked master setting at lower volumes.
                    yes those settings seem strange at first, but if you use bright PU through a plexi upper bright input it's not that strange.
                    on my JTM45/50 clone i keep the presence at 0.
                    bass at 0 to 1 (well it's originally a bass amp).
                    middle 3 to 4.
                    and treble at around 4. if you use 5 and higher with a bright pickup it's earpiercing.
                    So not that much differnt except the bass which i bet i would turn up more on a SLP/1987x type because of the different tone stack and smaller couple caps.
                    the super bright "front end" allows for the razor sharp AC/DC chord attack without any mud and farting out.
                    A more mellow pickup doesn't sound right with any of my amps.
                    The High voltage set really rips nicely but i will also try a t-top (clone) a some point. but first i need another SG.
                    because the high voltages are not coming out!

Comment

• Re: Worst pups you ever used

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                      they said 1987 in the rig rundown, but hes wrong, they are all 1959 100w models.

i dont know if his approach is that odd, its pretty common for guys that are used to nmv amps with no pedals. as far as his pups, i dont know how much he ever used the signature pup.
                      yes all 100 watters at least for that tour/gig.

Maybe Gibson made something for him and just the production model is totally off, that might be possible.
                      so far i only ripped on the sound of These Things, but the feel of the AY PU is also very stiff and i felt quite disconnected from the guitar.
                      the HV set is the complete opposite and so far the best feel i ever dicovered in a pickup, I believe it's likely he cares a lot about the feel of his pickups (and amps of Course).
                      it's hard to imagine he would settle for something like the prodution AY-sig model which doesn't come close to the HV-set and he obviously had a hand in them too
                      (Music Equipment is very subjective but in this case i have no problem to use the words better and worse)

Comment

• Re: Worst pups you ever used

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
                        Dimebucker
                        +1. There's a few Duncan pickukps that are not my thing, but I don't think they're bad, but the Dimebucker...

It's not really all that hot, and its treble response is just so over-the-top even with a 250K volume pot. Yeah, I knew it was gonna be bright when I tried it, but I was also expecting it to be a high output monster. Instead, I got this icepick that wasn't much hotter (if at all) than something like the JB. It was just super thin, bland, and even kinda weak.

Originally posted by BeKindRewind View Post
                        Also any of those whacky high output dimarzio pickups like crunch lab or whatever that are good for heavy metal power chords and that's all.
                        Yeah, I don't like the Crunch Lab either. Way too blunt and stuffy in the low mids.
                        Last edited by Rex_Rocker; 01-21-2020, 10:39 AM.

Comment

Working...
                        X