Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Worst pups you ever used

Originally posted by Archer250 View Post
    I nominate Powersound for worst pickup based on the number of entries it has right now.
    I might be the only person who likes the powersounds! Lmao

Comment

I ordered a chinese tele knockoff once because the finish looked nice in the photo. It arrived and the finish did look halfway decent but the guitar was a complete POS. The pickups were a joke and definitely, by far, the worst pickups I have ever tried!
      Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by Stratman View Post
        Oh yea, SD Staples
        those are not bad pups at all. you might not like em but they sure dont qualify as the worst youve ever used. lots of people like the neck, i actually thought the bridge was awesome too. like a fat vintage strat bridge pup. beautiful clean tones all around from this set

Originally posted by HKZSquared View Post
        ive said for years that the powersound pups are the worst ive ever tried. the neck was a woolly mushy mess of bass and the bridge was a thin high output shrill torture device.

Comment

"Worst" is subjective, but I finally am getting around to swapping out my 490R/498T set in a '94 Les Paul with a 59/Custom Hybrid and a Jazz in the neck. I am swapping the whole wiring for 50s wiring with splits on both tone knobs and a phase switch on the bridge volume. It'll be like new guitar day without the new guitar price.

I didn't hate the 490/498, but they were too bright I reckon is the word. (I'm a hack player and not a pro at this at all.)

Comment

B. C. Rich BDSM

EMG 81/85

ESP Designed LTS-120B/ LH-150N
            Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Originally posted by HKZSquared View Post
              There is no way to suggest that someone might be tone-deaf without insulting him/her, is there?
              Originally posted by Myaccount876
              Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Originally posted by Archer250 View Post
                There is no way to suggest that someone might be tone-deaf without insulting him/her, is there?
                Probably not, although I do have somewhat poor hearing. But I should refine my post, I just about only like the distorted tones of the powersound neck for soloing in poplar RGs but I only like the powersound bridge on occasion, depending on amp settings and effects gain or not. There are far better pickups, but I wouldn't call them THE absolute worst. I think the worst are probably the SGR pickups made by Belcat and put in the Chinese Schecters. Those Chinese Schecters aren't bad though once they get new pups.

Comment

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post
                  B. C. Rich BDSM
                  I played a BC Rich KKV with them stock live for years. They sounded massive and awesome through a marshall dsl2000 cranked through a pa.

Someone uploaded a clip from one of our shows once. Probably can't hear them well...:

Comment

Originally posted by Dahla View Post
                    They sounded massive and awesome through a marshall dsl2000 cranked through a pa.
                    My Warlock NJ Neck-Thru series only came alive after I installed some Parallel Axis on it.

Anyway, this is one tough post to comment. After all, we all have different ears, different tastes and different ideas of tone on our minds, so no answers will ever be the same
                    Guitars:Gibson LP Trad ('57 Classics); Ibanez SEW761FM (TB-16/STK-S7 m&n); Charvel DK24 (TB10/SSL-6/A2Pn), DK22 (HRb/SSL-6 m&n), SoCal Style1 (Distortion set) & SoCal Style2 24 2PT (Fluence OCC); ESP LTD MH-1000HS (TB-14/Lil59n); Effects: Line 6 Helix Floor, Digitech Drop & FreqOut, ME EP-1L6,Shure GLXD16, Headrush MX5;

Comment

Worst pups you ever used

Originally posted by Synapsys View Post
                      My Warlock NJ Neck-Thru series only came alive after I installed some Parallel Axis on it.

Anyway, this is one tough post to comment. After all, we all have different ears, different tastes and different ideas of tone on our minds, so no answers will ever be the same
                      No worries. I changed them out too eventually. But they did sound good with massive volume. At least for me and those needs I had at the time.
                      Last edited by Dahla; 01-08-2015, 11:20 AM.

Comment

There are so many; how do you pick just one? Most low-end guitars have horrendous sounding pickups IME.
                        Originally posted by LesStrat
                        Yogi Berra was correct.
                        Originally posted by JOLLY
                        I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Griffin View Post
                          DiMarzio Blue Velvet. Mexican Strat stock pickups are way better.
                          Ha I was going to say My mexi strat stock pups. ceramic and just terribly muddy with gain, almost unusable. I have since upgraded to the Areas.
                          Within the glow that weaves a cloak of delight ... There moves a thread that has no end
                          Yours is the cloth, mine is the hand that sews time ... For me, the cloth once more to spin
                          At last the arm is straight, the hand to the loom ... Is this to end or just begin?

sigpic My guitars + better pics

Comment

this is an old thread but i think it fits.
                            My bandmade and Girlfriend don't care, but for years i wasted my time playing a Gibson AY (Angus Young Signature) pickup.
                            I sold it a half year ago when i compared it to a SD pearly Gates.
                            First off i tend to like a scooped sound. my ears are very sensitive to mids (or unsensitive to bass and treble?) and it starts to sound honky/nasal/congested/narrowbanded very quickly if there are to much mids/too lil bass and treble in the signal.
                            The SD SH-12 Screamin demon, SH-1 59 are marketed as scooped and i like them. I was able to tame the boomy bass of the 59 in some occasions.
                            So there is mid scooped Pickups and there is no ****ing mids at all!:
                            Welcome to the Gibson Angus Young Signature Pickup. This thing is too bright and muddy at the same time. It's a paradox and drove me crazy.
                            I always blamed the amp, which didn't help too much either, but now i know the Pickup is definitely to blame the most.
                            This thing is just ear piercing highs and boomy bass and almost nothing in between.
                            Way too boomy to get an accurate AC/DC like crunch.
                            To a degree i like that characteristic but too much is too much.
                            I think i never played with it (had it in 2 different guitars) without fiddling with the amp controls the whole time.
                            It was about 9.4 k DCR and had a short A5 Magnet if someone is interested.
                            The pricetag was ridiculous and i am the idiot who fell for it. Back than i was young and stupid. BUt this thing was an aftermarket pickup so you suppose it should improve something execept for the lighter wallet.

The SD Pearly gates does a better job in every way (It's bright with not too much bass so it can crunch and enough mids to make it full and not ear piercing).
                            In the mean time i stumbled over a used custom shop high voltage set.
                            Oops i did it again!!!
                            NO, i am kidding this thing does an even better job at it (well it supposed to, but so was the AY bucker), and in this case it's not just another marketing gimmick.
                            I was afraid to fall in the same trap again, but those things actually deliver the sound you expect
                            plus the feel of this set might be the best i have ever experienced. never felt that connected with a guitar.
                            Never knew this was even possible to that degree!

so it's off my chest!
                            I feel better now!

Comment

I would assume the AY pickup is designed to be in an SG, which is pretty mid-heavy on it's own. So if you drop that into a Les Paul then the EQ would be nowhere near an AC/DC tone.

Comment

I had it in a very honky Les Paul classic with not a lot of low end for years.
                                Then in a SG, also (of course) very mid heavy.
                                The woofy bass got a little better in the SG but the ice pick highs and no body to the note still remained.
                                I was better with more gain, as that added mids/compression. with more gain i could fatten it up and make it sound descent and maybe that's why i put up with it so long. But that's not what i bought this pickup for or what it is designed for!
                                So in the end i had less problems with it in the Les Paul, as i tought that the woofyness is kind of the LP fault and i didn't use it strictly for crunch.

Maybe this pickup is good to flatten out a banjo EQ wise
                                Last edited by ToneFiddler; 01-17-2020, 09:03 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X