Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Worst pups you ever used

Default Re: Worst pups you ever used

Quote Originally Posted by Archer250 View Post
    I nominate Powersound for worst pickup based on the number of entries it has right now.
    I might be the only person who likes the powersounds! Lmao

I ordered a chinese tele knockoff once because the finish looked nice in the photo. It arrived and the finish did look halfway decent but the guitar was a complete POS. The pickups were a joke and definitely, by far, the worst pickups I have ever tried!

Quote Originally Posted by Stratman View Post
    Oh yea, SD Staples
    those are not bad pups at all. you might not like em but they sure dont qualify as the worst youve ever used. lots of people like the neck, i actually thought the bridge was awesome too. like a fat vintage strat bridge pup. beautiful clean tones all around from this set

Quote Originally Posted by HKZSquared View Post
    ive said for years that the powersound pups are the worst ive ever tried. the neck was a woolly mushy mess of bass and the bridge was a thin high output shrill torture device.

"Worst" is subjective, but I finally am getting around to swapping out my 490R/498T set in a '94 Les Paul with a 59/Custom Hybrid and a Jazz in the neck. I am swapping the whole wiring for 50s wiring with splits on both tone knobs and a phase switch on the bridge volume. It'll be like new guitar day without the new guitar price.

I didn't hate the 490/498, but they were too bright I reckon is the word. (I'm a hack player and not a pro at this at all.)

B. C. Rich BDSM

EMG 81/85

ESP Designed LTS-120B/ LH-150N

Ultimate Tone Slacker Archer250's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HKZSquared View Post
    There is no way to suggest that someone might be tone-deaf without insulting him/her, is there?
    Quote Originally Posted by Myaccount876 View Post
    Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Quote Originally Posted by Archer250 View Post
    There is no way to suggest that someone might be tone-deaf without insulting him/her, is there?
    Probably not, although I do have somewhat poor hearing. But I should refine my post, I just about only like the distorted tones of the powersound neck for soloing in poplar RGs but I only like the powersound bridge on occasion, depending on amp settings and effects gain or not. There are far better pickups, but I wouldn't call them THE absolute worst. I think the worst are probably the SGR pickups made by Belcat and put in the Chinese Schecters. Those Chinese Schecters aren't bad though once they get new pups.

Quote Originally Posted by Synapsys View Post
    B. C. Rich BDSM
    I played a BC Rich KKV with them stock live for years. They sounded massive and awesome through a marshall dsl2000 cranked through a pa.

Someone uploaded a clip from one of our shows once. Probably can't hear them well...:

Quote Originally Posted by Dahla View Post
    They sounded massive and awesome through a marshall dsl2000 cranked through a pa.
    My Warlock NJ Neck-Thru series only came alive after I installed some Parallel Axis on it.

Anyway, this is one tough post to comment. After all, we all have different ears, different tastes and different ideas of tone on our minds, so no answers will ever be the same

Default Worst pups you ever used

Quote Originally Posted by Synapsys View Post
    My Warlock NJ Neck-Thru series only came alive after I installed some Parallel Axis on it.

Anyway, this is one tough post to comment. After all, we all have different ears, different tastes and different ideas of tone on our minds, so no answers will ever be the same
    No worries. I changed them out too eventually. But they did sound good with massive volume. At least for me and those needs I had at the time.
    Last edited by Dahla; 01-08-2015 at 10:20 AM.

There are so many; how do you pick just one? Most low-end guitars have horrendous sounding pickups IME.
    Quote Originally Posted by LesStrat View Post
    Yogi Berra was correct.
    Quote Originally Posted by JOLLY View Post
    I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Ultimate Tone Member HALENisking's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brian Griffin View Post
    DiMarzio Blue Velvet. Mexican Strat stock pickups are way better.
    Ha I was going to say My mexi strat stock pups. ceramic and just terribly muddy with gain, almost unusable. I have since upgraded to the Areas.
    Within the glow that weaves a cloak of delight ... There moves a thread that has no end
    Yours is the cloth, mine is the hand that sews time ... For me, the cloth once more to spin
    At last the arm is straight, the hand to the loom ... Is this to end or just begin?

My guitars + better pics

Tone Member

this is an old thread but i think it fits.
    My bandmade and Girlfriend don't care, but for years i wasted my time playing a Gibson AY (Angus Young Signature) pickup.
    I sold it a half year ago when i compared it to a SD pearly Gates.
    First off i tend to like a scooped sound. my ears are very sensitive to mids (or unsensitive to bass and treble?) and it starts to sound honky/nasal/congested/narrowbanded very quickly if there are to much mids/too lil bass and treble in the signal.
    The SD SH-12 Screamin demon, SH-1 59 are marketed as scooped and i like them. I was able to tame the boomy bass of the 59 in some occasions.
    So there is mid scooped Pickups and there is no ****ing mids at all!:
    Welcome to the Gibson Angus Young Signature Pickup. This thing is too bright and muddy at the same time. It's a paradox and drove me crazy.
    I always blamed the amp, which didn't help too much either, but now i know the Pickup is definitely to blame the most.
    This thing is just ear piercing highs and boomy bass and almost nothing in between.
    Way too boomy to get an accurate AC/DC like crunch.
    To a degree i like that characteristic but too much is too much.
    I think i never played with it (had it in 2 different guitars) without fiddling with the amp controls the whole time.
    It was about 9.4 k DCR and had a short A5 Magnet if someone is interested.
    The pricetag was ridiculous and i am the idiot who fell for it. Back than i was young and stupid. BUt this thing was an aftermarket pickup so you suppose it should improve something execept for the lighter wallet.

The SD Pearly gates does a better job in every way (It's bright with not too much bass so it can crunch and enough mids to make it full and not ear piercing).
    In the mean time i stumbled over a used custom shop high voltage set.
    Oops i did it again!!!
    NO, i am kidding this thing does an even better job at it (well it supposed to, but so was the AY bucker), and in this case it's not just another marketing gimmick.
    I was afraid to fall in the same trap again, but those things actually deliver the sound you expect
    plus the feel of this set might be the best i have ever experienced. never felt that connected with a guitar.
    Never knew this was even possible to that degree!

so it's off my chest!
    I feel better now!

Tone Member

I would assume the AY pickup is designed to be in an SG, which is pretty mid-heavy on it's own. So if you drop that into a Les Paul then the EQ would be nowhere near an AC/DC tone.

Tone Member

I had it in a very honky Les Paul classic with not a lot of low end for years.
    Then in a SG, also (of course) very mid heavy.
    The woofy bass got a little better in the SG but the ice pick highs and no body to the note still remained.
    I was better with more gain, as that added mids/compression. with more gain i could fatten it up and make it sound descent and maybe that's why i put up with it so long. But that's not what i bought this pickup for or what it is designed for!
    So in the end i had less problems with it in the Les Paul, as i tought that the woofyness is kind of the LP fault and i didn't use it strictly for crunch.

Maybe this pickup is good to flatten out a banjo EQ wise
    Last edited by ToneFiddler; 01-17-2020 at 08:03 AM.

For me the Dimarzio Super 2. To hot undefined and shrill for the neck, painfully shrill harsh abrasive and nasty sounding in the bridge in everything I have tried it in. It's like a Humbucker from hell stuffed with a ceramic mag harshness on steroids. HATE those pickups just absolutely NASTY sounding things!! I like the Dimarzio Super 3 and SD but the Super 2 is useless!!
    Guitars
    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, ST 300, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
    Amps PRS MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Tone Member

The 490t is the only one that comes to mind, atleast that I can identify. Thin and lifeless
    Epiphone Les Paul Tbte Plus (SD custom shop humbucker) SH2b (neck)
    Fender bassbreaker 30r

i never liked that gibson angus pup either, the first time i heard it i thought it was broken it was so bright and shrill in the sig sg. it sounded okish through a cranked 2204 but still not what i would call good

Vintage single coils. I have no use for that clank.
    Satan's sitting there
    He's smiling

Gibson Classic 57 neck pickup. All mud.

Sent from my SM-G970W using Tapatalk