Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• a overdrive after a fuzz?

we know the 60s guitarist ofen use a fuzz into a overdrive amp
    so today, we can put a overdrive pedal after the fuzz to get the tone?
    i have a bearfoot honeybee,free the tone ms-sov,and a wampler pinnacle
    when i use honeybee and the pinnacle,or into my marshall dsl5c overdrive channel,the sounds too dark
    with the sov,EQ is fine,but i don't like this tone
    what can i do?
    or what do you do?

Re: a overdrive after a fuzz?

The first question I have for you is: why do you feel the need to overdrive the fuzz in the first place? If the fuzz does not do what you want, why not look for another fuzz that does?

I am a big fan of stacking pedals and there are a few combinations with fuzz pedals that work well for me, but there are so many factors involved: the tone I am looking for, the pickups and amp being used, and the actual pedals being stacked.
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
      The first question I have for you is: why do you feel the need to overdrive the fuzz in the first place? If the fuzz does not do what you want, why not look for another fuzz that does?

I am a big fan of stacking pedals and there are a few combinations with fuzz pedals that work well for me, but there are so many factors involved: the tone I am looking for, the pickups and amp being used, and the actual pedals being stacked.
      i read something talking about the 60s guitarist fo that(into a overdrive amp)
      that's what i want to ask,i need a overdrive with fuzz or not.
      so you alway use fuzz into a clean amp?

Comment

You might be better off putting the overdrive before the fuzz. Though it might wind up being a bit much.

Comment

You can put an overdrive after a fuzz to duplicate the sounds of a fuzz into a cranked amp, if you can't actually crank up your amp all the way. OD before fuzz just pushes the fuzz harder, making it more distorted and gives a "saggier" sound (that's one way to get an approximation of Neil Young's sound without a tweed amp, by the way).

Al

Comment

Originally posted by jamie_eyp View Post
            i read something talking about the 60s guitarist fo that(into a overdrive amp)
            that's what i want to ask,i need a overdrive with fuzz or not.
            so you alway use fuzz into a clean amp?
            When using a fuzz pedal, my signal chain USUALLY is gtr > compressor > JColoccia Horus > fuzz > boost/overdrive/second fuzz > amp

I say usually because it really depends on what kind of sound I am going for. I like using the Horus to shape the sound before the fuzz and then drive the boost or next pedal harder.

I do not play my amps clean, I usually have them set anywhere fom very mild saturation to breakup crunch.

Comment

Originally posted by TwilightOdyssey View Post
              When using a fuzz pedal, my signal chain USUALLY is gtr > compressor > JColoccia Horus > fuzz > boost/overdrive/second fuzz > amp

I say usually because it really depends on what kind of sound I am going for. I like using the Horus to shape the sound before the fuzz and then drive the boost or next pedal harder.

I do not play my amps clean, I usually have them set anywhere fom very mild saturation to breakup crunch.
              so, that's the problem,my dsl5c have no gain knob in the "classic gain"channel,when i want a crunch tone,i must turn it lound,but i can't do that in my room
              and fuzz into the "ultra gain"channel, sounds suck,too dark,evan i set a low gain
              so, i mean can i use a overdrive pedal after the fuzz too get the similar tone
              if yes,which one is good at this

Comment

Fuzz (vintage a la Fuzz Face, Maestro, Etc.) is a very harsh clipped waveform. Hard clipped distortion pedals are less so and overdrives even less so. The reason why fuzz into a breaking up amp is more pleasing to the ear is the tube breakup is rolling off some of those high end harmonics. I've had varying luck with substituting an overdrive for the tube amp. It really comes down to the way the pickups, fuzz, overdrive and amp all react as an overall system. Due to impedances, the reaction of pickup/fuzz is critical, and same goes for OD output/Amp input.

Really the only true answer is experimentation with your rig. That being said, some companies have attempted to replicate this fuzz into cranked amp tone. The huge one we all know is the Big Muff (it was attempting to model Jimi's fuzz into Marshall). More recent examples are Cusack's Screamer Fuzz and Wampler's Velvet Fuzz.

I'm sure some of the other guys here can help with combos that work for them. Remember, enjoy the journey.
                Oh no.....

Oh Yeah!

Comment

Fuzz face or ff clone into a Marshall is hard to beat.

I use the AnalogMan SunFace for this purpose. But it still has loads of low frequency flub, which is why I tighten it with pedals fore and aft.

Comment

I used to run a Fulltone OCD overdriving my signal just a little bit after a Fuzz Face with great results. It made the fuzz sound fuller, but it still cleaned up really well by rolling back the volume knob. I found I much preferred that sound to putting the fuzz through the clean channel or the dirty channel on my Fender DeVille. I would say give running an OD after a fuzz a try.
                    Originally posted by Jimi Hendrix
                    When the power of love overcomes the love of power the world will know peace.

Comment

Originally posted by jazzems5150 View Post
                      I used to run a Fulltone OCD overdriving my signal just a little bit after a Fuzz Face with great results. It made the fuzz sound fuller, but it still cleaned up really well by rolling back the volume knob. I found I much preferred that sound to putting the fuzz through the clean channel or the dirty channel on my Fender DeVille. I would say give running an OD after a fuzz a try.
                      I would also recommend the Xotic BB Preamp for this position as well; the BB is an indispensable sonic tool for this kind of setup due to its versatility (clean boost, gain, and EQ) and ability to add OD style gain.

Comment

I like the sound of my FF into a TS808 into the clean channel of my DSL. The TS set to a clean boost gives the fuzz this nice fluid compressed tone that I really like.
                        Originally posted by Rockstar216
                        Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

i use my sunface into timmy sometimes as a tone shaper more than anything. works great

Comment

fuzz face type circuits are best into amp with nothing else in the signal chain. Fuzzface into an overdrive tends to narrow the sound too much in my experience.
                            Its all about impedance matching with fuzz faces. Any buffering before or after them and they start to behave differently. There might be some overdrives that they can work with, but i've not had any luck so far.

big muff type fuzzes can sound pretty good with an overdrive boosting them (overdrive first).
                            "Technique is really the elimination of the unneccessary ... it is a constant effort to avoid any personal impediment or obstacle to acheive the smooth flow of energy and intent"
                            Yehudi Menuhin

Comment

I put my Mooer Blue Faze going into my Marshall Jackhammer OD.
                              So the Marshall sounds all crunchy and modern, and adding the fuzz adds all that lovely fat, sustain and fuzzy madness that we all should love.
                              I never use the fuzz by it's own.
                              I use it a lot with my SSS Strat but with a bridge humbucker it fakes having a really high output neck pickup with the tone knob near zero. It's a good trick.
                              Last edited by Diego; 12-05-2014, 07:54 PM.
                              Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                              Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                              Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                              Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Working...
                              X