• Show
Clear All

Re: a overdrive after a fuzz?

thank you all guys!
    you comments really helpful!

Comment

Originally posted by Zombiwoof View Post
      You can put an overdrive after a fuzz to duplicate the sounds of a fuzz into a cranked amp, if you can't actually crank up your amp all the way. OD before fuzz just pushes the fuzz harder, making it more distorted and gives a "saggier" sound (that's one way to get an approximation of Neil Young's sound without a tweed amp, by the way).

Al
      Lol, I always loved that particular Neil sound.

Comment

How about a fuzz into a 10 band eq then into an overdrive into a clean high headroom ss amp? Sounds like a recipe for death metal to me.

Comment

I used to run my bassman heads very loud with a fuzz out in front of them and used an od to clean it up a little bit, but I ran a silly rad rig, I had two heads, one with a russian muff, the other with the hyper fuzz, both with ts9s....It sounded huge...blew our co guitarists triple rec out of the water, lol...

Comment

I've had great luck with stacking fuzz and od pedals. some ods are much better for this than others, though. catalinbread's line of foundation pedals are great - the dls is legendary for this purpose.

the bogner pedals seem excellent, too.

Comment

ive found that anything before the sunface kinda ruins the goods but after it seems to be ok. although i havent really used anything with any regularity other than timmy

Comment

Originally posted by jeremy View Post
                ive found that anything before the sunface kinda ruins the goods but after it seems to be ok. although i havent really used anything with any regularity other than timmy
                I find that the Horus can be used to enhance ANYTHING in the chain, which is why I put it right up front, but I would not necessarily have the gain turned up ... though I might have the Growl turned up. Really depends on many other factors, like I was saying before.
                Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
                My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Originally posted by jamie_eyp View Post
                  we know the 60s guitarist ofen use a fuzz into a overdrive amp
                  so today, we can put a overdrive pedal after the fuzz to get the tone?
                  i have a bearfoot honeybee,free the tone ms-sov,and a wampler pinnacle
                  when i use honeybee and the pinnacle,or into my marshall dsl5c overdrive channel,the sounds too dark
                  with the sov,EQ is fine,but i don't like this tone
                  what can i do?
                  or what do you do?
                  Depends on the od pedal... some work like amps and some don't. Fuzz circuit is its own unique beast + the fact that you still have to amplify the OD, I mean unless you have a really good OD (mimics tube preamp with uncanny accuracy) and a really good power amp then you're not exactly setting yourself up for success.

A better route IMO would be to get something designed to be both like the sampler velvet fuzz or the Jacques mercer box. Better still would be a low wattage amp unlike what they had back in the day like a single ended 5w plexi circuit or something
                  Originally posted by ImmortalSix
                  I wouldn't pay more than $300 for a BJ.

Comment

That depends IMO on how vintage-correct you want to be.
                    If you put a fuzz into something ridiculous like a Boss Hyper Metal it's going to sound funny. Or maybe just right for somebody, who knows?
                    It's probably smart not to use a too high-gain OD box for this purpose, anyway. It has to be transparent so you can hear the fuzz goodness, otherwise it's just going to be mud.
                    Epiphone LP Standard PlusTop Pro
                    Ibanez SZ320 / A8 DD103 bridge.
                    Ibanez RG270 / Screamin' Demon bridge.

Egnater Tweaker 15 Head / Laney Cub 8 / 2x12 - Celestion V30+K100
                    Line 6 M13 and plenty of stompboxes I rarely use!

Comment

Working...
                    X