Lets talk about headphones (Studio)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets talk about headphones (Studio)

I am looking at maybe buying (with the schools money) a nicer set of headphones for the recording studio we use for class.

I would like to save as much money as I can (spending with integrity) but I would like the students to learn to use and learn the value of good equipment as well.

Can some of you chime in on what to look for in quality headphones?
    What Freq range to look for?
    Good durability, gold plating, noise ratios, Impedance, (circumaural) and (supra-aural), open back vs. closed back.... what other factors do I need to consider before spending?

Audio Technica, Sony, Beats, Sennheiser, Shure.... what do you guys recommend? and why?
    Last edited by 80's_Metal; 12-20-2014, 01:26 PM.
    Go buy my book. https://www.amazon.com/dp/198405564X

Re: Lets talk about headphones (Studio)

Am about to host a dinner party but have a few thoughts. Will chime in later!
    Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
    My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Back!

Okay, generally speaking, most of the big mircrophone companies also make headphones. This makes a lot of sense considering how similar the technologies are. So, there's your starting point: Shure, Sennheiser, AKG, BLUE, Beyer Dynamic et al.

Open back cans typically give a more natural sound and better bass response, and are good for mixing but not good for tracking due to mic bleed.

For general purpose mixing, I would not spend more than $100-150 for headphones. Typically, headphones are used to reference low frequencies when mixing, but some people can do entire mixes with cans (I am not one of them). Avoid Beats or any headphones with an altered frequency response for mixing.

I use Shure SRH400's, which can be had for about $100 street.
      Why don't you take your little Cobra Kais and get outta here?!
      My collaborative PROGRESSIVE ROCK PROJECT, As Follows.

Comment

Pretty interested in this myself..my $20 Sony's get the job done lol...but I'd like to know what's out there..
        "Less is less, more is more...how can less be more?" ~Yngwie J Malmsteen

I did it my way ~ Frank Sinatra

Originally posted by Rodney Gene
        If you let your tone speak for itself you'll find alot less people join the conversation.

Youtube

Comment

Working...
        X