3 pedal challenge!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 pedal challenge!

You are going to have to play the following gigs: A metal gig, a rock gig, a blues gig, and a jazz gig.

You may have one two channel amp and three pedals to do ALL gigs.

FOr simplicity - lets assume the amp is a MArshall DSL 401 or a Fender Hotrod Deville.

What THREE pedals do you take and how do you use them?
    Originally posted by Bad City
    He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Re: 3 pedal challenge!

For the amp I would play the Fender Hot Rod Deville, Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe for any type of gain I want, a TS808 for some boost, and ISP Decimator to cut out unwanted noise.

*Wipes shoulders* Too easy

Comment

Straight into the Marshall.

Comment

Zen, OCD, EQ and the Marshall. Those are the three most flexible pedals that I have used and now own. Each one could be used for any of the gigs in question.

Comment

Give me some deeper answers guys. I'm not feeling it. Explain "Straight into marshall for the jazz gig, etc….
          Originally posted by Bad City
          He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

I'm with Lampy, Marshall, straight in would be all I need. But I think three pedals is a fun exercise for this.

1 is a tuner. Cause, duh.

2 is a wah. 535Q should do it.

3 is a tubscreamer.
            Originally posted by Rockstar216
            Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

Tube Screamer, ISP Theta, Okko Dominator.

Punish the people at the three non-metal gigs.

Director of Arizona Young Voters Initiative

https://www.azyoungvoters.org

Twitter:
              @ArizonaVoters

Comment

Parapedal wah... Use as a wah, but it also is great as a volume cut/synthy bass boost... Great for weird metal passages. Oxvibe... Univibe clone of doom... Able to cop phaser, tremelo and of course all the Hendrix and Trower you want... Last, a Tuner. All going into the gainy side of the Marshall, use my volume knobs to control dirt... Toss the footswitch to the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	10704390_481263788682209_6595303990951237354_o.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	59.3 KB
ID:	5782017
                  Exactly what I use for exactly those genres of music I play. Don't do much jazz though.
                  This pedal set up works for guitar too. Dunlop Bass Wah, Fulltone OCD, Digitech Bass Whammy.

Edit*
                  Oh deeper answers... cool I gotcha.

Guitarwise.
                  I'll take the Fender since I'm more familiar with it, and since I got a clip on headstock tuner lying around so I'll go ahead and use that to keep another pedal slot open.
                  For jazz I'd use the whammy set at either of the octave harmonies and use it for leads. Don't think I'd use much else. Maybe the OCD for fusion stuff.
                  For rock I'd have the OCD with pretty much every control around midnight on LP for a lead boost into a crunched amp. Then I'd use the wah sparingly for solos. The whammy would be set to the detune setting so I can have some chorus-like effects to cleaner rhythms, would also be great with the OCD for full and textured leads.
                  For metal, the OCD is on all the time, HP, gain around 2-3 o clock, same with the tone control (varying depending on volume I can gig with). Wah would be used sparingly for solos too, but the whammy would be kicked in for some sweet harmonies, maybe flex the notes around to shake things up.
                  For blues, I would do similar to how I would with rock, but a little cleaner, even less wah. No whammy.

Basswise
                  I'll just use my GK 2001rb, it's only 2 channels too. Got a rack tuner though so that keeps the pedals free of one.
                  For jazz, maybe a little subtle bass wah for some bass solo stuff, maybe a little whammy on the detune setting too for effect.
                  For rock, the OCD would be on HP with the volume high and the gain kind of low, just to add some gritty texture and harmonics. I wouldn't do much more than that unless it was prog rock, then I might use the other pedals to fill out some atmosphere.
                  For metal, the whammy is my secret weapon. In my 1 guitarist band, when he goes to do his leads live, I can throw that on to support him more so the band doesn't lose any sonic weight to it. Usually set it to 5th or either octave harmonies. OCD, everything a little past 12 o clock at HP for a distortion boost, the amp usually has a bit of grit dialed in anyway so it is mostly for fuzzy effect. Wah occasionally for general effect. (For rock and metal, sometimes I will set the OCD on with a setting that actually is quieter than the clean amp, this way I can switch it off to take the grit away and let the full clean volume come back in for parts where only the bass is playing, maybe with some drums. This way, in songs similar to say YYZ, the gritty bass mixes well with the guitar when both are playing but when it needs to be pushed up while lifting OFF the grit instead of putting it on, it can. So I use it as sort of a CUT pedal instead of a BOOST pedal sometimes.)
                  For blues, I'm just going in clean. Can't see myself using many effects there for bass.

In general, I like to use the octave harmony on the whammy and some OCD distortion to get synth like tones out of both instruments. It's fun to play around with.
                  Last edited by Falloffthebonetone; 12-22-2014, 03:43 AM.

Comment

^love the bass whammy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    Political Correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Comment

I'll take the Marshall.

Pedals = Crybaby 535Q, Keeley DS1 Ultra, Duncan Deja Vu Delay. In that order.

The crybaby will get me some attitude and vocality in the rock and metal gigs, and used subtly enough it can get me some rhythmic textures in the jazz gig.

The Keeley DS1 ultra is an extremely versatile distortion pedal that can go from a boost to overdrive to all-out grind.

The Deja Vu delay will add some flavor and space to the sound, especially in the rock and jazz setups.

I'll use a clip-on tuner to stay in tune and the volume and tone controls on the guitar to do the rest.

Comment

well you would need some sort of overdrive

does your amp have reverb? if so great the jazz gig will need it
                        if not a pedal

delay..elay...lay...ay...y

tuner or compressor your call
                        EHD
                        Just here surfing Guitar Pron
                        RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
                        SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
                        Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
                        Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
                        Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
                        Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
                        GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

My rock tone is my metal tone. Volume to 7 for blues. Clean channel for jazz.

Comment

Not taking either of those amps...I'm bringing one of my Mesas.

For pedals, I'm taking my old Thomas Organ wah, a Boss CE-3 chorus and a delay...probably my Boss DC-20.

Bill

P.S. I have a couple of tuners that are not "pedals".
                            Last edited by Boogie Bill; 12-21-2014, 09:00 PM.
                            When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Originally posted by Boogie Bill View Post
                              Not taking either of those amps...I'm bringing one of my Mesas.

For pedals, I'm taking my old Thomas Organ wah, a Boss CE-3 chorus and a delay...probably my Boss DC-20.

Bill

P.S. I have a couple of tuners that are not "pedals".
                              The point of the game is that the Marshall or the Fender are your only options. I'm with you on the fact that I would bring in a Mesa any day over those amps, but I played fairly and chose what I'd rather go with out of the two.

Also Aceman, was my answer not good enough for you? I didn't just pull the old trick of "No pedals, just straight into the Marshall", I would take the Marshall, if it wasn't the DSL. Give me a JCM800 or a Plexi and we'll be talking.

Comment

Working...
                              X