3 pedal challenge!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 3 pedal challenge!

Added some stuff to my first post for discussion sake.

Comment

A 10-band EQ... just for juicing the guitar for the metal and rock gigs (might not need to juice if I'm using a DSL401).

The blues and jazz gigs don't need anything but the amp.

Comment

I'll run my Palisades, Pharaoh and Vapor Trail into my AC30.

Comment

For me I'd run a good overdrive, distortion, and delay into the clean channel of the amp. I've almost finished putting together a little portable pedalboard consisting of a vapor trail, dirty deed and 805 overdrive (santa should be dropping off the 805 this week to complete the setup). The vapor trail sounds great running through the effects loop of my Mesa Lonestar, but for the amps you mentioned the above setup would cover most bases. I'd run the fender clean for the Jazz, add the OD for the blues, add the distortion for rock and a combination of OD and distortion to tighten the tone for metal rhythm or add mids for the leads. I'd set the delay for a short delay time, low repeats and low mix to add some ambience.
          Last edited by JimmyO; 12-22-2014, 12:56 AM.

Comment

Tuner pedal.
            Carl martin Plexitone - will do light crunch to very thick modded marshall.
            Delay of some sort

The amp alone does the jazz and the blues gig

Comment

Two channel amp gives me clean and distortion, and these days I can use a clip-on tuner, so I don't lose a pedal to a tuner - though one of my choices solves this anyway.

Pigtronix Echolution (can do vintage and modern delays or sound kinda like a reverb and has presets so it's like having multiple delay pedals)

Eventide H9 Max (45 effects, 99 presets, has a tuner)

Zoom MS100BT (more multi-effects, adds in a second sound while the H9 is busy doing something)

Comment

well i take my v wich is a tonefull bastard, the marshall and the pedals well... i take my cheap but accurate clip on tuner so i have:

Boss GE-7
                Boss OD-3
                Digitech Bad Monkey

the amp reverb well setted with the dimebucker in parallel through the clean channel will set a good base for jazz, the GE-7 will finetune my tone and the OD-3 will go setted for a warm and soft overdrive to push things a little or leads (wich i pretty much suck at)

blues gig will go similar to this, the OD-3 is a very good blues pedal, so the gain will go a little craked through the clean channel and i will play dynamics with the tone and volume knobs, the GE-7 will got mid boost for the leads

rock gig will go with the od 1 channel of the marshall, the channel will be set to get AC/DC tones out of it and then the OD-3 will push for leads, the bad monkey for tubescreamed rythms and the GE-7 will go to shape to a warmer rythm tone, depending on the leads the amp reverb will also go

metal gig, well, this is easier, it's pretty much my actual setup but with a marshall, OD 2 channel will get dialed to sabbath level of gain and with the EQ B5 M4 T10 or something similar, the Bad Monkey will got setted for the tubescreamer boosted thrash, the OD-3 will push for leads again (it just does that stupidly well), the GE-7 will just go as i had it right now, with a sawtoth shape EQ pattern and the out at max to nail Dimebag rythms.

i'm much of a rythm player and with my budget i had learn to squeeze every little tone out of my gear

Comment

A metal gig : metal muff or tube pedal like a tube king (red ibanez)
                  a rock gig : just a jackhammer Marshall
                  a blues gig : just a jackhammer Marshall
                  and a jazz gig with which guitar? an ibanez js ?lol

Comment

those amps will handle those genres just fine on their own.
                    green globe burned black by sunn

Comment

I'll use exactly what I have right now ninus the tuner.
                      Attached Files
                      Last edited by Archer250; 12-22-2014, 09:37 AM.
                      Originally posted by Myaccount876
                      Attenuators are for pussies. Neighbors calling the cops isn't a problem - if the cops can actually still decipher the neighbor's complaint on the phone with the Marshall in the background, you're doing it wrong and it needs to be louder.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad-Max View Post
                        The point of the game is that the Marshall or the Fender are your only options. I'm with you on the fact that I would bring in a Mesa any day over those amps, but I played fairly and chose what I'd rather go with out of the two.
                        Agreed, I rarely use pedals with my roadster.

Comment

IMO, pedal tuners don't count. They are a necessity, not an effect.

I'll take the HRD, a Fulltone OCD, Fulltone Deja Vibe Mini, and Boss DM-2w. As much as I love Marshalls, the DSL401 isn't one of them.

The HRD has a really good clean and a decent overdrive channel, perfect for covering all the genre's mentioned. The OD-1x will give it enough of a kick for metal. The DM-2w with the built-in reverb would create some nice ambient effects. The CS-3 would help on the clean channel when needed.
                          Last edited by ErikH; 12-31-2014, 11:15 AM. Reason: updated pedal choices

Comment

That's easy. Both of those amps are overkill. Just give me a good sounding non-channel-switching amp with built-in reverb and tremolo, a tuner, an e.q., and a clean boost. I'd probably use a Super Reverb or a Deluxe Reverb.
                            Last edited by ItsaBass; 12-22-2014, 01:53 PM.
                            Originally posted by LesStrat
                            Yogi Berra was correct.
                            Originally posted by JOLLY
                            I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

Proco Rat for sounds from od to fuzz to distortion, Mooer Eleclady Flanger for Flanging (duh) and faux chorusy sounds, Empress Tape Delay as it has tap and presets.
                              I'd take the Marshall as I'm not that familiar with Fender amps.

Comment

Originally posted by Mad-Max View Post
                                The point of the game is that the Marshall or the Fender are your only options. I'm with you on the fact that I would bring in a Mesa any day over those amps, but I played fairly and chose what I'd rather go with out of the two.

Ah well,...if I have to play FAIR, I'll just take my toys and go home, LOL!

Not having the Mesa makes it a really tough choice, because I DO NOT LIKE transistor boxes for my distortion. And having to bring a dirt box means one of the other pedals has to go bye-bye.

I would probably opt for the Fender, and then the Tech 21 Fly Rig; with my wah and chorus.

My little Mesa DC-3 just kills that Marshall. And I sold my last Fender amps in 2000--a 1965 Deluxe Reverb (a REAL one!), a 1964 BF Tremolux and 210 cab in blonde tolex, a Super Champ with the EV 10", and Fender 75 head and 112 EV Force cab.

The Mesas just fit my style better than the vintage amps did, and the vintage amps are far superior to the new Fender stuff.

Bill
                                When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Working...
                                X