Forum pickup ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum pickup ideas

I thought it would be good to start this and get some ideas going in everyone's minds. Let's be respectful, no attacks. It would probably be best to have something that is not specific to bridge or neck position to maximize potential sales.

I have a couple ideas.

1. A hybrid humbucker based on the stag mag construction. Probably flat mags though. Say you got a set, you could split the bridge to the hotter coil and the neck to the more vintage coil. With triple shots or an extra switch you could select either.

2. A super phat cat design. Something that's not necessarily trying to be a P90, just a huge single coil. Could have a tap for more versatility.

Re: Forum pickup ideas

I was all for LtKojak's idea to match a neck pup to the Custom Hybrid. I realize you said it would be best to do non position specific, but I think it's a good idea.
    Within the glow that weaves a cloak of delight ... There moves a thread that has no end
    Yours is the cloth, mine is the hand that sews time ... For me, the cloth once more to spin
    At last the arm is straight, the hand to the loom ... Is this to end or just begin?

sigpic My guitars + better pics

Comment

A low-output hybrid humbucker. Let's say a Seth neck coil combined with a Seth bridge coil. The Seth/Lover Hybrid. I'd buy three sets, at least.
      Originally posted by LesStrat
      Yogi Berra was correct.
      Originally posted by JOLLY
      I do a few chord things, some crappy lead stuff, and then some rhythm stuff.

Comment

I want a new, special, unique single coil design. The power and raunchiness of the p90, the chime of the strat, the sparkle of the jazzmaster, the spank of the tele.

Comment

Honestly, I can't think of anything that isn't in the line up that I could possibly need anymore... other than a big ceramic stuffed into a Brobucker. I need another one of those.

Comment

StagMag uses staggered poles to follow string radius. Using flat poles would mean your Es would boom while the middle 4 would struggle.

I'd suggest a matched set, as well, perhaps where the neck version shares one element of the bridge i.e. a Custom/59 for the bridge (I know, there already is one) and a 59/Jazz for the neck (59 coils match inward or outward - or not).

I still say the ultimate design would be a completely modular setup where coils were self-contained and would mount to a baseplate that was pre-wired for the basic connections (coils in series) but also had a direct-plug interface for its own TripleShot (or a 4-switch version - the 30/30 ). The coils could also be mounted to a single-sized or Tele-shaped baseplate, and stacked (with an adaptor plate so that you didn't always have one coil with a permanent top-mounting plug sticking out of it).

Securing the magnet might be an issue, but perhaps if the baseplate had 3 thin metal strips at the bottom that the magnet would stick to - in the middle when using coils that did not have magnetic poles, under one side when combining slug coils with magnetic-pole coils.
            Obviously if you're slamming your guitar face-down you're not worried about tone, so under normal use I can't see the magnet slipping off the strip. As well, once the coils were mounted, and secured with small half-turn locking screws, nothing's coming out of place under normal non-Punk use.

Imagine the possibilities with such a design - build your own hybrids in seconds with no soldering. Mix and match everything - JB screw coil with half a Classic Stack; Custom slug coil with half a StagMag; PATB+Invader, Dime+1/4 Pounder; Demon+EVH. Pull both coils and flip the magnet over/around at-will. Remove the magnet and use 2 Classic Stacks at once, and with the flip of a switch (or two), have them running series-split, parallel-split, 3-quartered (one full, one split), phase-switched - everything but making coffee and fetching donuts.

P90s and minis might be a bit tricky, but I'm sure there's a reasonable way to handle them.
            Last edited by DrNewcenstein; 12-29-2014, 04:26 PM.
            Originally posted by Brown Note
            I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
            My Blog

Comment

^ Pretty interesting, not sure how realistic though. As in I have no idea. Could be sweet.
              Within the glow that weaves a cloak of delight ... There moves a thread that has no end
              Yours is the cloth, mine is the hand that sews time ... For me, the cloth once more to spin
              At last the arm is straight, the hand to the loom ... Is this to end or just begin?

sigpic My guitars + better pics

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
                A low-output hybrid humbucker. Let's say a Seth neck coil combined with a Seth bridge coil. The Seth/Lover Hybrid. I'd buy three sets, at least.
                The 59b/jazzn coil combo is pretty nice too.

Comment

SSL5/SSL7 HB hybrid.......just an idea.
                  Hamer,Fender Kramer,Epiphone,Yamaha
                  Full Shred,'78 EVH,Custom 5,Alnico Pro II's,Vintage Rails,STK-1,STK-2.

Comment

There has never been a forum pickup made as a Telecaster pickup or P 90 pickup.

Comment

One of my favorite duncans over the years has proven itself to me time and time again: stk-s4. It has migrated from a MIM Strat 9 years ago when I bought it new into the Warmoth HSH LP where it now resides two years later in 2008. I love this pickup, it has a great single coil tone when split, however I would like to see a version of it that retains the split mode quack and chime while packing on some chunk when being operated in the normal humbucker mode.

Another idea I would like to see was mentioned above, a P90-ish single coil. One with a split coil option would be pretty sweet.
                      Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                        I do not currently own a Tele anymore but someday I would like to own a nice swamp ash Tele. I would not mind having a forum Tele pickup available when that day comes.
                        Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by JOLLY View Post
                          ...and that's a bad thing...is that what you're trying to say?

Originally posted by Brown Note
                          I'm soooooo jealous about the WR-1. It's the perfect guitar; fantastic to play, balances well even when seated and *great* reach for the upper frets. The sound is bright tight and very articulate. In summary it could only be more awesome if it had b00bs and was on fire!
                          My Blog

Comment

I would like to see a Telecaster version of the SSL5. I would also like to see a humbucker sized SP90-3.

Comment

The ULTIMATE Les Paul MIDDLE pickup!

Bright enough to add cut to the neck highs
                              Dark enough to fatten up the bridge highs
                              Loud enough to be heard with the bridge, not too loud so it overwhelms the neck
                              Tight bass in the middle position
                              SOme nice mids, maybe a little mid hump.
                              Originally posted by Bad City
                              He's got the crowd on his side and the blue jean lights in his eyes...

Comment

Working...
                              X