Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Forum pickup ideas

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
    I'd like to personally thank you for your kind words.

It's nice to see the outcome resulting of research and trial-and-error is being appreciated even before it's actually been tried!

Yours very truly,
    Well I'd feel terrible if I had tried to Monday morning quarterback it and take credit for R&D that isn't mine. I wish I had a guitar to put em in right now. They were gonna go in my brothers guitar but he's a little apprehensive about me changing out the pups he likes. I'd like to thank you again for sharing your hard earned knowledge with a newb like myself! All the best!
    Originally posted by dg27
    Salad plates are aerodynamically more effective than dinner plates, which are too heavy.

Comment

All the stagmag stuff is problematic because the opposing rod magnets next to each other damage each other's magnetic field. That is particularly bad if you then end up using only one of the coils, with the other one still interfering although you don't use it.

It isn't totally unworkable, but if you want a rod-magnet pickup in humbucker format then our 3+3 setup (like in a Precision bass) from March is better, because the magnetic field is cleaner.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
        All the stagmag stuff is problematic because the opposing rod magnets next to each other damage each other's magnetic field. That is particularly bad if you then end up using only one of the coils, with the other one still interfering although you don't use it.

It isn't totally unworkable, but if you want a rod-magnet pickup in humbucker format then our 3+3 setup (like in a Precision bass) from March is better, because the magnetic field is cleaner.
        Stop making stuff up... I get it you got a huge chubby for your idea and your pushing it as hard as you can. But the stag mag idea has been proven, riogrande has made pickups like that for over 20 years now and there is no issue with splitting the coils. There is NO problem with it!
        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt
          **** off loser.
          Was that necessary? Seriously man take yourself a little less seriously... he has a valid point. This entire time you've been plugging your idea while shooting down others...
          Salad plates are aerodynamically more effective than dinner plates, which are too heavy.

Comment

Originally posted by firebirdguy72 View Post
            Was that necessary? Seriously man take yourself a little less seriously... he has a valid point. This entire time you've been plugging your idea while shooting down others...
            It wasn't "my idea".

We went through the whole process back in March and we are repeating the whole show step by step. Fact is that the stag mag is liked only by a minority of people and it has never gained traction as a forum pickup as a result. In addition to what was mentioned it also has a significant problem that when both coils are on it is too "heavy" but when you only use one coil you have the hum right back (and you would be better off with a Strat pickup in a humbucker case if you split anyway).

The community has pretty clearly spoken, in March and now, that what we want doesn't hum. And that means in the "cool sound" mode.

And calling the split coil design "my idea" is absurd. Leo Fender did it, it was just the right idea to make the Precision bass cool. Not to mention hum-free while retaining single string pickup points, and rod magnets, and making it hum free all at the same time.

Comment

Really, enough is enough.

Comment

It wasn't "my idea".

We went through the whole process back in March and we are repeating the whole show step by step. Fact is that the stag mag is liked only by a minority of people and it has never gained traction as a forum pickup as a result. In addition to what was mentioned it also has a significant problem that when both coils are on it is too "heavy" but when you only use one coil you have the hum right back (and you would be better off with a Strat pickup in a humbucker case if you split anyway).

The community has pretty clearly spoken, in March and now, that what we want doesn't hum. And that means in the "cool sound" mode.

And calling the split coil design "my idea" is absurd. Leo Fender did it, it was just the right idea to make the Precision bass cool. Not to mention hum-free while retaining single string pickup points, and rod magnets, and making it hum free all at the same time.
                You were the one advocating for the split design to be the forum pickup the entire time because of the March vote... like it or not they chose to redo it...

Comment

It wasn't "my idea".

Then explain to me how Riogrande has offered that design for 20 years without any of the issues you describe? This is another case of people who dont really know saying what they "think" is how something should work.

Its already been decided to re-vote. Your idea might still win but that doesnt mean you get to slag other ideas by making up problems that dont exist.

I called it "your idea" cause you've been running around like a rabid dog trying to pimp it from the moment that Scott opened the floor to another user group pickup.
                  "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                  you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

My original wish for March was a Strat pickup, BTW. Big magnets like the QP but awg42 wind (not combining big magnets are high resistance wire like the QP).

The 3+3 split design came in when it was clear that the only thing that would fly was
                    - humbucker format
                    - with no specific requirements for special rings
                    - it must have hum canceling
                    - the forum doesn't get to pick the wire, the CS will do something likely to piss off the least people

Can you say again what variant of a Stag mag you want that isn't the current stag mag or can't be bought from Rio Grande today?
                    Last edited by uOpt; 01-10-2015, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Can you say again what variant of a Stag mag you want that isn't the current stag mag or can't be bought from Rio Grande today?
                      I don't recall Edgecrusher saying a new stagmag should be the forum pickup... he was simply disagreeing with info he thought was untrue.

Comment

Ok, but then it would be better to open a new uOpt bashing thread instead of derailing this one

Comment

Just remember, the Z-90 got roughly 1/3 of all votes in the last poll. The other 2/3 are more than likely not going to agree on the same pickup, considering another 1/3 of the 2/3 of people don't even want a humbucker. That means 4/9 of the forum is set on designing whatever humbucker, and I'd speculate that at most, half of that group will be able to pick one design. which makes 2/9 of votes. 2/9 vs 1/3 of voters? I'd say the Z-90 still has a good chance of winning if this is a true majority-rules.

As for my biases: Would I like to see the Z-90 happen? Absolutely. But I would be just as satisfied with a very unique forum pickup that just sounds good (which I completely trust the Custom Shop is capable of). If it is unique, works in the bridge, and the designed sound looks appealing, I'll buy it.

Comment

And Bill Lawrence "Wilde" L-450 and the redesigned as the L-600s had alnico 3 rod magnets with the same design as the Stag-mag. And those are the bomb. The low inductance models sounded like overwound single coils, and the higher inductance models like the L-500 series. And he was a very talented designer with an extremely advanced knowledge of metallurgy and engineering in general.

Comment

Sorry.

Comment

Come on guys we need to do this :-

sigpic
                                Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
                                JFG Flying V,
                                "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
                                John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

Working...
                                X