Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Forum pickup ideas

Originally posted by DarkMatter View Post
    I thought it would be good to start this and get some ideas going in everyone's minds. Let's be respectful, no attacks. It would probably be best to have something that is not specific to bridge or neck position to maximize potential sales.

I have a couple ideas.

1. A hybrid humbucker based on the stag mag construction. Probably flat mags though. Say you got a set, you could split the bridge to the hotter coil and the neck to the more vintage coil. With triple shots or an extra switch you could select either.

2. A super phat cat design. Something that's not necessarily trying to be a P90, just a huge single coil. Could have a tap for more versatility.
    i think it`s cool though i`m just a newbie

Comment

As we've seen a few humbuckers, perhaps something else is in order. Maybe a P-90 with A8?

Comment

Neck pickup

Aph-B slug coil with aluminium or plastic slugs
        59N screwcoil
        A4 magnet
        Sound like Jimi Hendrix Little Wing in a Les Paul.

Comment

Some sort of single coil style, but with a twisted pair winding, outputted in parallel...

Mainly to satisfy my curiosity on whether that would cancel hum
          My mum says I'm speshal...

Comment

Originally posted by Davii View Post
            Some sort of single coil style, but with a twisted pair winding, outputted in parallel...

Mainly to satisfy my curiosity on whether that would cancel hum
            It won't.

Next!

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
              It won't.

Next!
              Damn. I'd wondered if being in a pair like that, but with the individual wires being used in opposite polarity, would possibly pull off the same trick :-S

Back to school for me :-D

Comment

An active pickup with output in the custom/JB area. Soundwise, it could be based upon the WLH set, Slash set or something. I'd buy that in a heartbeat.

If it were split-able too, it would be perrrrrrfect.

Comment

Originally posted by daveyisgreat View Post
                  Charlie Christian pickup in standard humbucker packaging!
                  You just touched on exactly what I was thinking: Instead of creating something totally new, how about if we just migrate something from the custom shop over to the production side of the house? I'd love to see the Nokie Edwards n/b set sold at "production" prices. I'd buy that in a minute.

Comment

I could definitely get behind a bucker sized Charlie Christian or a very low output neck hybrid.

Comment

Am I the only one that talked about a p'up conceptually, a form-follows-function design without going crazy on specs, other than the two screw bobbins?

C'mon people; I KNOW several of you are more than capable to do this, so put that grey matter to good use and lay some good concepts on the table. A p'up or a set that everybody would wanna use and/or would wanna buy.

Pretty please...?

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post
                        A p'up or a set that everybody would wanna use and/or would wanna buy.
                        This sure aint happenin. No pup would get universal agreement around here... trying to please too many will only screw up a good idea
                        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

I think it would be interesting to get Duncan's take on the El Rayo & Humbucker from Hell type pickup that has humbucker punch/depth with single cool chime and dynamics. It could be bridge or neck and work in a wide variety of body styles.

Comment

Some sort of cross between two different rail designs (one thin rail like the Dimebucker, then a thick rail like the Slug) or maybe a rail and invader coil hybrid would work too for the higher output players here. I'd love a hybrid rails style bucker. Sorry if somebody suggested that already lol

Comment

What about a kind of RailHammer-ish looking all out calibrated set, bridge metal and neck WLH/SH2-ish sounding??????
                              DARK ORDER - 'Cold war of the Condor', 'The Violence Continuum' & '5000 Years of Violence' available now.... www.darkorder.com.au

sigpic

"A true Metal-head displays from the heart alone, not by what image is portrayed. For many are around the well, but none are in the spring"

"War is the failure of the human spirit" - A.J.P. Taylor

Comment

Dumbell pole slugs, with individual coils, on a humbucker footprint. 6 of 12 positions used, alternating in polarity, and position (would appear zig-zagged from above/below).

Or, slugs are paired, each pair has one coil, pairs are opposite to adjacent ones.

See, this is why you don't give Davii beer

Comment

Working...
                                X