Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: A few specific questions about testing wood influence on tone

Originally posted by DreX View Post
    There was a time when bloodletting was thought to cure people of various illnesses, until someone somewhere decided to think a little harder about whether bleeding on purpose was actually beneficial. You can bet all the physicians who charged a few coins for their bloodletting services weren't too happy that someone came along and questioned how much of a difference it actually made, and even some of their patients who believe it had cured them probably weren't thrilled about the idea, either.
    Whatever. The majority of folks probably get the gist of my post. It's quite typical of someone like yourself to deliberately attempt to distort an opinion in order to big yourself up/ belittle someone else. I have no interest in this, I'm a human being and a musician. I have decent gear, get decent sounds and play in public and get positive acclaim from other players and listeners alike. We all have fun. I'm sure most forum members have at least vaguely similar experiences.

Occasionally here we get the odd pedantic types who are so fixated on some detail or another that one begins to wonder a) if they even play, and b) how they ever actually manage to enjoy anything. I've met people like that. For all their professed knowledge, they invariably fail to show up for jam sessions or put their abilities where their mouths are. Ones i have known personally usually seem to have social problems, and are best avoided. They usually have no friends. They usually sit alone at home, secure in the knowledge that they are indeed superior, while the lesser beings, the great uneducated, unwashed masses, manage to have some fun and make some progress.

It's so easy to pontificate from the sidelines, particularly from the isolated, unexposed safety of a computer in a quiet room. The forum usually has one or two of these superior beings at any given point in time. Never do we get to experience their wonderfulness in any way beyond what they tell us. Tonewoods will soon disappear, smug in the knowledge that he tried but the masses are just too stupid to recognise his genius. There was a member just like Tonewoods a while back, who was on exactly the same trip. That one (who i suspect is also this one), used the forum name 'Arius', and mentioned more than once about his 'followers', as if he were some kind of saviour-like figure.

In the meantime, the majority are managing to make music of some kind and have some degree of enjoyment. Most of us manage to do that in spite of the occasional forum genius/ scientist telling us that what we do is all wrong.

This is as far as I'm going in this painful thread, because I don't need to prove anything to anyone, and when i do, i do it with a guitar in my hands. Regular, ordinary people decide whether what i do pleases them or not. They don't care what wood my guitar is made of or what type of caps i used when i built my amp. The nit-pickers, self-absorbed, pedants and scientists are probably better served by working as sound engineers or builders of mixing desks and PA systems.

Good luck on deconstructing this post any any other post that doesn't fit your ideals. It's happened before, and yet us plebs are still out there making music and entertaining people and enjoying some social interaction. Weird, huh ?
    Last edited by crusty philtrum; 01-04-2015, 11:58 AM.
    Lumbering dinosaur (what's a master volume control?)

STALKER NO STALKING !

Comment

I think it just tends to be easier to ask the smaller faction to stop, since there are that many fewer people to appeal to, not because they're right or wrong. It's economical, and the forum is free.
      Let's make no mistake here. Tonewoods is no victim. No one ganged up on Tonewoods. He created an account specifically to get into this thread and blast all the members of this forum. He individually insulted every participant in this thread without true provocation or just cause; you - the OP - even asked him to leave midway through. He made himself a pariah in the community. Portraying him as the victim is absolute nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by Tonewoods View Post
        That seems EXTREMELY unlikely.
        Less likely than the tonewood narrative itself.
        Rigorous application of the scientific method would require that you refrain from drawing conclusions about the outcome before you've actually run the experiment.
        Originally posted by DreX
        Nearly everyone still in this thread should have me on ignore by now. The fact that they don't says everything.
        The only reason anyone describes me as combative is because I don't agree with them and allow them have the last word. Well... too bad.
        There's no substance to anything I have posted.
        Originally posted by Evan_Skopp
        I'm sure that'll be good for a few "likes" from your buddies.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldenVulture View Post
          Get Stratman to do some on his CNCmachine.
          Bring the different types of wood to work on!

Ensure dryness is between 11~14%.

Then pay me for my time!
          Last edited by Stratman; 01-04-2015, 09:45 AM.
          Support Code 211 - Stop the bad boys, you know COPS!
          When we do right nobody remembers when we do wrong nobody forgets!
          Red Devils - 1% all the way!
          Screw anyone who post negative crap on my post!
          Finding out that there really is a lot of traffic on the Highway to Hell, but no waiting line on the Stairway to Heaven.

Comment

Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
            Let's make no mistake here. Tonewoods is no victim. No one ganged up on Tonewoods. He created an account specifically to get into this thread and blast all the members of this forum. He individually insulted every participant in this thread without true provocation or just cause; you - the OP - even asked him to leave midway through. He made himself a pariah in the community. Portraying him as the victim is absolute nonsense.
            But isnt this a bit of Deja Vu.... Didnt the same thing happen with Drex at the beggining? I remember at least 5 or 6 know down drag out threads with Drex being just as insolent as tonewoods.

Its just weird a couple weeks ago we have a bunch of drama around here where Drex's name is brought up as a source of the discontent around here. Then bam outta the blue we get this new guy whose only purpose seems to be to push Drex off the top of everyone's ire list.
            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Originally posted by Stratman View Post

Then pay me for my time!
              ill buy the wood if you do the routing

Comment

Why is it that informative, interesting and intelligent threads rarely make it past two pages...

(Not including hot chick threads. They can go on forever. )

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeAces View Post
                  Who else is taking pot shots? We asked him to state his credentials and then he says they do not matter. When we question his response that is considered a pot shot? Saying somebody has a "garbage mind" is a direct insult which is what Tonewoods has said. Or saying we are "dumber than baboons" is a direct insult to people. Asking questions about Tonewoods' stated credentials is not a pot shot nor is the way it is being asked. He says he has a degree in hard science but that does not answer the "state your credentials" question at all; it merely dances around the question even more.

The fair thing to do would be for Tonewoods to respect the scientific process.

The fair thing to do would be for Tonewoods to back up his credential claims by showing us his resume and his degree. Remember, we are not the ones stating Tonewoods is qualified here and most of us are not stating we are qualified here either. Tonewoods is the one saying he is more than qualified to be having this discussion. Ok, then show us, back up your claims or go home. That's fair.
                  Originally posted by beaubrummels View Post
                  Originally posted by Edgecrusher View Post
                  But isnt this a bit of Deja Vu.... Didnt the same thing happen with Drex at the beggining? I remember at least 5 or 6 know down drag out threads with Drex being just as insolent as tonewoods.

Its just weird a couple weeks ago we have a bunch of drama around here where Drex's name is brought up as a source of the discontent around here. Then bam outta the blue we get this new guy whose only purpose seems to be to push Drex off the top of everyone's ire list.

You're basically saying "it's bad when Tonewoods responds, but it's OK when I respond because Tonewoods insulted me." In that case the more effective response is "I'm not going to continue to converse with someone who insults me, good bye", and then the thread ends and you leave on the high road, but instead you post "show us your credentials, Tonewoods!", and you continue to act on the notion that you're exceptional in all of this, that's you're entitled to the last word, or that this is "your forum" and not his, or that the onus it on the other guy to bow out first, that you can insult, but not be insulted.

Comment

Originally posted by Stratman View Post

Then pay me for my time!
                    I thought you said you didnt know how to use it?

Comment

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
                      Whatever. The majority of folks probably get the gist of my post. It's quite typical of someone like yourself to deliberately attempt to distort an opinion in order to big yourself up/ belittle someone else.
                      First, keep in mind that your post had and has nothing to do with the OP post, so you essentially invited yourself in here to put down all us "scientist" types who don't feel human emotion, while not even attempting to answer the questions I had posted page 1, post 1, but now I'm going to bold everything in your subsequent paragraphs that is insulting in return:

Originally posted by crusty philtrum View Post
                      I have no interest in this, I'm a human being and a musician. I have decent gear, get decent sounds and play in public and get positive acclaim from other players and listeners alike. We all have fun. I'm sure most forum members have at least vaguely similar experiences.

Occasionally here we get the odd pedantic types who are so fixated on some detail or another that one begins to wonder a) if they even play, and b) how they ever actually manage to enjoy anything. I've met people like that. For all their professed knowledge, they invariably fail to show up for jam sessions or put their abilities where their mouths are. Ones i have known personally usually seem to have social problems, and are best avoided. They usually have no friends. They usually sit alone at home, secure in the knowledge that they are indeed superior, while the lesser beings, the great uneducated, unwashed masses, manage to have some fun and make some progress.

It's so easy to pontificate from the sidelines, particularly from the isolated, unexposed safety of a computer in a quiet room. The forum usually has one or two of these superior beings at any given point in time. Never do we get to experience their wonderfulness in any way beyond what they tell us. Tonewoods will soon disappear, smug in the knowledge that he tried but the masses are just too stupid to recognise his genius. There was a member just like Tonewoods a while back, who was on exactly the same trip. That one (who i suspect is also this one), used the forum name 'Arius', and mentioned more than once about his 'followers', as if he were some kind of saviour-like figure.

In the meantime, the majority are managing to make music of some kind and have some degree of enjoyment. Most of us manage to do that in spite of the occasional forum genius/ scientist telling us that what we do is all wrong.

This is as far as I'm going in this painful thread, because I don't need to prove anything to anyone, and when i do, i do it with a guitar in my hands. Regular, ordinary people decide whether what i do pleases them or not. They don't care what wood my guitar is made of or what type of caps i used when i built my amp. The nit-pickers, self-absorbed, pedants and scientists are probably better served by working as sound engineers or builders of mixing desks and PA systems.

Good luck on deconstructing this post any any other post that doesn't fit your ideals. It's happened before, and yet us plebs are still out there making music and entertaining people and enjoying some social interaction. Weird, huh ?
                      so, if by deconstructing you mean pointing out hypocrisy, then yes.

Comment

You're basically saying "it's bad when Tonewoods responds, but it's OK when I respond because Tonewoods insulted me." In that case the more effective response is "I'm not going to continue to converse with someone who insults me, good bye", and then the thread ends and you leave on the high road, but instead you post "show us your credentials, Tonewoods!", and you continue to act on the notion that you're exceptional in all of this, that's you're entitled to the last word, or that this is "your forum" and not his, or that the onus it on the other guy to bow out first, that you can insult, but not be insulted.
                        I think it's fair to say I am definitely not the one acting exceptional in all of this. Considering I have been called a "garbage mind" directly by Tonewoods without calling Tonewoods any names also suggests I am doing well on the high road.

When somebody, in this case Tonewoods, makes a claim they have the credentials to make scientific claims it is only natural for the viewing public to ask to see these credentials. Nothing unusual about that.

DreX, you are clearly trying to stir something up with this particular post of multi-quoting Tonewood's opposition. It would be wise to stay on course or I assure you this thread will get locked before you reach some of the solutions you claim to have been searching for when you started this thread.
                        Last edited by Snake Aces; 01-04-2015, 01:13 PM.
                        Soundcloud

Comment

What bothers me the most is that I've supplied the questions that justified this thread's existence, and people like David Collins and Frank Falbo have been good enough to make me aware of things I should watch out for when I set up my experiment, and even Tonewoods has been helpful is defining the parameters of the test, and yet there's a cadre of regulars who show up, don't actually reply to the OP post itself or attempt to provide relevant insight, carry on an argument about the argument, and then point the blame at everyone else. I had asked Tonewoods not to carry on with you about the "argument about the argument", but your "side" kept needling away, emboldened by the fact that he agreed not to post again, not deterred, and so his returning to the fray was the predictable outcome. Maybe you want this thread to be locked and that's the game you play, I don't know. If so, I'm in awe of your dedication and efficiency.

Comment

Tonewoods and drex have the same ip address.

Comment

Originally posted by kramersteen View Post
                              Tonewoods and drex have the same ip address.
                              Drex and tonewoods have the same ip address.

Comment

I provided information regarding the requirements for the study to meet the demands of science.

Tonewoods has has made repeated demands for scientific proof that wood makes a difference, insisting that it does not, while providing only citations from the peer reviewed publication "uT00B".
                                Romans 3:23; 6:23; 5:8; 10:13; 10:9-10

Teknon Theou
                                https://soundcloud.com/you/tracks
                                Complaining that there are hypocrites in church is like complaining that fat people use the gym. Where else would you have them be?

Comment

Working...
                                X