banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Shoud we have a pickups review thread/forum?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Shoud we have a pickups review thread/forum?

You might think this is just about arguing on the internet, but I really do want more technical details to be provided so that we can make more informed purchase decisions. I have already bought maybe twenty Seymour Duncan pickup models over the years, but there are still dozens more I haven't tried, and my means of deciding which to my next are as crude as ever. There are a number of pickups I'm interested in such as the SSL-3, the APS-1, or the Five-Two, but I'm reluctant to take a gamble on them. If I could, for example, see the technical extent to which the APS-1 differs from the SSL-1, or how the SSL-3 differs from the SSL-5, I would have greater confidence in the purchase and more willingness to reach for my credit card. Over time, I'd have a better understanding of how the different component types contribute to the final tone, and I could hopefully never buy a pickup I end up disliking ever again.

If you come along and offer logically faulty statements as to why my request should be denied, obviously I'm going to come to my own defense.
    Last edited by DreX; 01-28-2015, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
      You might think this is just about arguing on the internet, but I really do want more technical details to be provided so that we can make more informed purchase decisions. I have already bought maybe twenty Seymour Duncan pickup models over the years, but there are still dozens more I haven't tried, and my means of deciding which to my next are as crude as ever. There are a number of pickups I'm interested in such as the SSL-3, the APS-1, or the Five-Two, but I'm reluctant to take a gamble on them. If I could, for example, see the technical extent to which the APS-1 differs from the SSL-1, or how the SSL-3 differs from the SSL-5, I would have greater confidence in the purchase and more willingness to reach for my credit card. Over time, I'd have a better understanding of how the different component types contribute to the final tone, and I could hopefully never buy a pickup I end up disliking ever again.

If you come along and offer logically faulty statements as to why my request should be denied, obviously I'm going to come to my own defense.
      Sorry buddy, but you are the only one offering logically faulty statements here. If you don't want people to think you are not about arguing over the internet then you at least have to bring something worth our time to the table. You repeatedly fail to do so in almost all of your argumentative posts. My responses were all valid reasons why you do not need the more secretive information on each pickup:

Originally posted by SnakeAces View Post
      Name one company, just one buddy, who does this for any of their products (let alone a pickup company). Seriously, this is ridiculous.

When you go to buy a car, do you get the blueprints to the car? Do you get to know everything about how it went from a blueprint all the way to a machine you can drive? No. You get some specs like mpg, horsepower, engine size, features, etc. What you do not get are any kind of company or trade secrets that "company y" holds a patent on. If you were to walk into a dealership and request such information you would be laughed at and shown the door (even if you had a briefcase of full of cash).

Seymour Duncan currently gives you the same kind of specs as a car manufacturer. Magnet/engine size, Color (covered or uncovered, etc)/paint job, Tone chart including readings and EQ/horsepower and mpg.

Sure, anybody with the right resources could reverse engineer the Dodge Challenger Hellcat or the Seymour Duncan Whole Lotta Humbucker but that does not mean Dodge or Seymour Duncan is going to make it easy for them to do so. To request such information and actually believe it to be necessary to make an informed decision about a purchase is ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. Especially if you live in the States where you can take a 21 day "test drive" of any Duncan pickup with no additional charge. Show me another pickup company cool enough to even provide you with a tone chart let alone hand you the keys to any of their pickups like that.
      Since that might not be enough:
      Originally posted by Evan Skopp View Post
      If this is January, we must be getting the "How About a Sub-Forum" requests. Thank you for the suggestion.

Way back when, the Vault was the place where we reviewed pickups. If you'd like to start a review thread of a pickup that's not already in the vault, please do so. And at some point, when it's run it's course, we'll Vault it. If you want to add something to a review that's already in the Vault, PM one of the admins, and we'll move it for a day or two into the Pickup Lounge and then return it to the Vault. Just please remember to stay on point and not hijack a review thread.

I got a good laugh out of this. Drex, I'd like to see your SSN, all your credit card numbers and PINs posted for all of us use freely. I don't buy the privacy thing. If someone really wants to steal your identity, they can figure it out anyway. So please make it easier for them.

(By the way, before you start calling the Internet police on me, that's a joke. And I'm going to give Drex the benefit of the doubt and assume he was joking too).
      Last word.
      Last edited by Snake Aces; 01-28-2015, 12:48 PM.
      Soundcloud

Comment

Sorry buddy, but you are the only one offering logically faulty statements here. If you don't want people to think you are not about arguing over the internet then you at least have to bring something worth our time to the table. You repeatedly fail to do so in almost all of your argumentative posts. My responses were all valid reasons why you do not need the more secretive information on each pickup:
        There's no substance in any of that. It's a counterpoint to nothing.

Since that might not be enough:

Last word.
        Evan doesn't work for SD at the moment, so if you're suggesting that's an official "no", then... no.

Comment

Especially if you live in the States where you can take a 21 day "test drive" of any Duncan pickup with no additional charge. Show me another pickup company cool enough to even provide you with a tone chart let alone hand you the keys to any of their pickups like that.
          I already said this, you force me to repeat myself: Time is money. It would be far more time economical to have data provided than to buy a pickup, measure it the best I can without breaking it, install and remove it within the allotted time frame and then ship it back at a cost.

Comment

There's no substance in any of that. It's a counterpoint to nothing.

Evan doesn't work for SD at the moment, so if you're suggesting that's an official "no", then... no.
            There's no substance to anything I have posted. Wow, what an argument. Since DreX said it, it must be true!
            Soundcloud

Comment

I already said this, you force me to repeat myself: Time is money. It would be far more time economical to have data provided than to buy a pickup, measure it the best I can without breaking it, install and remove it within the allotted time frame and then ship it back at a cost.
              Another ridiculous statement by the infamous DreX. All hail King DreX, for his demands have been made!

Most real players would love the chance to hear a pickup they would like to consider purchasing in their own guitar, through their own amp, through their own pedals. To the musician this experience is more valuable than time itself, which, if you know how to do basic math... means it is more valuable than money.
              Soundcloud

Comment

There's no substance to anything I have posted. Wow, what an argument. Since DreX said it, it must be true!
                I didn't include the qualifier "anything you posted", that's was all you.

Comment

Another ridiculous statement by the infamous DreX. All hail King DreX, for his demands have been made!
                  Ad hominem

Most real players would love the chance to hear a pickup they would like to consider purchasing in their own guitar, ...
                  Irrelevant to the discussion.

Comment

Ad hominem

Irrelevant to the discussion.
                    The only thing irrelevant to this entire discussion is you. Have you noticed that absolutely nobody agrees with you? Nobody. Nobody at all, not a single person. Do you ever wonder why that is?
                    Soundcloud

Comment

Comment

The only thing irrelevant to this entire discussion is you. Have you noticed that absolutely nobody agrees with you? Nobody. Nobody at all, not a single person. Do you ever wonder why that is?
                        ad populum

Comment

I do reviews and when I do them, I don't post them here. I did in the past but the threads get little to no interest.

Has DreX seen the ghost town called the "Tips and Clips" section?

Nobody really cares about reviews on this site... they'd rather come here to argue/talk about their latest gear purchase or complain about something.

So there you go, that's about the "alpha and omega" of it.
                          Best amp tech I've ever had and hands down one of the best electronic/sound wizards in the NC Piedmont.

Comment

*sigh*

Comment

Ok this thread hasn't provided anything useful in like 2 pages. Time to lock it?
                              Originally posted by Rockstar216
                              Musician thinking - nice strat, looks like a 62, that Marshall JCM 800 sounds great, the lead guitarist could use a bit less treble

Bar patron thinking - Wonder if these guys know "Free bird"?

Comment

I can do that too!

Link to something completely irrelevant to this discussion.

DreX - helping threads get locked since Nov 2013
                                Soundcloud

Comment

Working...
                                X