No announcement yet.

The 5-string question (versus 4 string)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The 5-string question (versus 4 string)

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
    Being a guitarist, 4 string basses are a much easier transition for me. I don't see a need to complicate it with 5's. If my musical life revolved around playing bass, I'd feel obligated to spend some time playing 5's.
    As a bassist and a guitarist (and I go through phases where one is my main instrument over the other), if you're playing bass for a recording, then a 4 stringer is good, but if you're serious about the instrument, picking up a 5 stringer is a good idea, as it allows more interesting melodies and countermelodies, especially if you're not just following the guitar.
    Schecter ATX Blackjack C7 BKP Painkiller (B) and Abraxas (N)
    Hagstrom Hj800 Jazzbox stock pickups
    Fender Jazz Bass EMG MJ Set
    Music Man SUB Ray5 stock pickups
    Line 6 Helix
    Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

I started my journey as a bass player and am now primarily a guitar player. I guess I'm old school though, I much prefer a 4 string bass and I am not a bassist who follows guitar hardly ever.

I have two personal rules when playing bass: if I want vintage vibe and tone I go passive. If I want modern big lows, I go active. I use and have used my 4 strings on recordings and for gigs within these rules.

I would never discourage somebody from checking out a 5, 6 , 7 or even 8 string bass at all. I think most beginners can handle a 5 sting bass no problem too, I just prefer 4 strings personally.
      Soundcloud

Comment

Originally posted by SnakeAces View Post
        I would never discourage somebody from checking out a 5, 6 , 7 or even 8 string bass at all. I think most beginners can handle a 5 sting bass no problem too, I just prefer 4 strings personally.
        For me as an initial metal guy, I got a five string to keep up with low notes in metal guitars. Now, I play a 5 string for the more intricate melodies available.
        Line 6 Helix
        Dunlop Strings and Picks

The opinions expressed above are my own and do not reflect normal levels of sanity.

Comment

Or if you're like me, you could try playing a 4 string, but use really heavy strings and tune down to BEAD (or Bb Eb Ab Db). I only tune my guitars to Eb, but sometimes it would be nicer to be able to go lower on bass. I don't really play anything that absolutely requires the G string, as I pretty much mainly use the 3 bottom strings.

Comment

I'm more or less a dilettante, so take this for what it's worth, but I like having a fiver. I use it mostly for getting below the standard E as I don;t care for the tone of notes higher up the fretboard on that low B string, but I generally only use those lower notes for brief "Punctuation" as opposed to commonly using them. Mine is a Jackson JS3VQM, so it's no high-end bass, (None of mine are, I'm a dilettante after all) and it did take some getting used to, but not much. I do find that changing my bass up tends to effect how I play. If I am looking to go all metalhead/thrashguy I tend to grab a four, when I play at church I usually take the five because those lower notes really lend to a more somber feel and get me further out of the way of the guitars and keys.

That's my thoughts and they are worth exactly what you just paid for them.
            I don't "Play" so much as "Operate"...

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
              Or if you're like me, you could try playing a 4 string, but use really heavy strings and tune down to BEAD (or Bb Eb Ab Db). I only tune my guitars to Eb, but sometimes it would be nicer to be able to go lower on bass. I don't really play anything that absolutely requires the G string, as I pretty much mainly use the 3 bottom strings.
              That's a good idea and a viable option. The only potential problem with it is if someone needs a bass with the higher notes available, then it requires taking two basses to a gig. Nothing wrong with that, but if someone wants to just haul around one bass and do the job with that one, that person would be better off with a 5 string.
              Originally posted by DrNewcenstein
              To understand the idiot, you must think like an idiot.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueTalon View Post
                if someone wants to just haul around one bass and do the job with that one, that person would be better off with a 5 string.
                Depending on the genres being played. In most of the live music I go to, 4 strings still rule.
                "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by Myaccount876 View Post
                  If you're going that route, I'd recommend you either 1. buy a 5 string bass set and pitch the G string, or 2. put together a set from singles that will be the bottom four of a 5 string set. You'll get a better tone, as most of the regular 45-105 sets and even some of the 55-115 sets sound a little muddy and have a distinct rattle when you're tuning them that low (unless that's what you're going for, which some guys are).
                  I write Articles for Seymour Duncan
                  I write Articles for Bass Musician Magazine

Comment

I think you two just chose different ways of saying the same thing.

Comment

Originally posted by BlueTalon View Post
                      I think you two just chose different ways of saying the same thing.
                      I was assuming when he meant "really heavy," it was more like a 50-115 set, normally meant for regular EADG tuning, tuned down lower to BEAD (which we have a number of artists that do that). Which gives you a different tonality than putting together a 65-130 set and tuning it BEAD on a 4 string.

If not, then yes. You're correct.
                      I write Articles for Seymour Duncan
                      I write Articles for Bass Musician Magazine

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                        Depending on the genres being played. In most of the live music I go to, 4 strings still rule.
                        Since Myaccount876 said he hardly ever plays the G string, 4 strings in BEAD would still rule with him. But for someone who plays both low and high, the choices are to bring two basses with different tunings, or bring one bass with more strings, regardless of genre.

Comment

Originally posted by One Bad Monkey View Post
                          I was assuming when he meant "really heavy," it was more like a 50-115 set, normally meant for regular EADG tuning, tuned down lower to BEAD (which we have a number of artists that do that). Which gives you a different tonality than putting together a 65-130 set and tuning it BEAD on a 4 string.
                          Fair point.

Comment

Different tunings are problematic for me. I have difficulty quickly adjusting and don't want to be screwed when I have to use a standard tuned bass when I'm using something else on my own.

Likewise, for a person like me it is important that I settle for one string number and not constantly move around.

Comment

Originally posted by uOpt View Post
                              Different tunings are problematic for me. I have difficulty quickly adjusting and don't want to be screwed when I have to use a standard tuned bass when I'm using something else on my own.

Likewise, for a person like me it is important that I settle for one string number and not constantly move around.

Agree 100%. 4 string basses make sense to a guitarist, easy conversion. You already know the fretboard. If I got used to playing in alternative tunings and with an additional string, I'd be all screwed up when I played a guitar or 4 string bass.
                              "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                              "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                              "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

once again, 5 strings are for bassists and not guitar players using bass for a recording.
                                Line 6 Helix
                                Dunlop Strings and Picks

Comment

Working...
                                X