Seymour Duncan Convertible 60W

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seymour Duncan Convertible 60W

The question comes after the introduction ;-)

I got this amp in a swap deal. I have 3 other amps, good amps, but this Convertible starts to be the one I always play. Both channels are so great. I don't turn on my pedal board, maybe sometimes a reverb instead of the build-in reverb (which is great and lush), and sometimes delay. The amp it self produce lovely cleans and rock'n roll sound in channel 1. In Channel two it goes up to hard rock and can even reach some fuzz tones a la "Tall Font" Russian Muff. The amp is very versatile. I like playing in the style of Black Keys, Clark. Jr, Hendrix, SRV, Smashing Pumpkins, Red Hot Chili Peppers, Led Zeppelin... just like many other guitarists. And this amp can really do it, without any pedal and voiced like it was delivered from the factory. I'm not so good at describing amps, but it seems to range from a Mesa Mark 1'ish to a Marshall Silver Jubilee'ish sound.

I'm trying to find some more information. I believe its from the early to mid 80's. It has EL-34's into a Celestion G12T-75.

Do anyone know what the price was back then? E.g. the MRSP? I believe it was not a cheap amp, but not expensive either. Even though I read that Bonamassa who fancy the 100W version (it has an attenuator and the channels do not share the EQ) wrote, that the Convertible amps was very expensive to make, and almost bankrupted Seymour Duncan.

Cheers, and thanks for any info that you can provide :-)

I have attached two pictures of my amp plus a Convertible 100W commercial with Jeff Beck ;-) ...also a youtube with Bonamassa talking about the 100W Convertible. And then a Convertible 100W youtube from a store, because it has the same blues/rock sound as mine (...and there are no decent recordings of the 60W out there):

Attached Files
    Last edited by gibs0n; 02-02-2015, 05:32 AM.

Re: Seymour Duncan Convertible 60W

I have no idea on price but that is a sweet amp! Nice score.
    Soundcloud

Comment

Seems like no one remember this amp :-D
      They might have only been made for a short period of time then! ....in the 80's

Comment

I have to admit that while I've been around for a LONG time (lol) and am familiar with the 100-watt version, I don't think I've ever seen a 60-watt model like yours. The 100-watt versions weren't cheap, but they weren't priced like some of boo-teek amps in today's market, either. But if you wanted ALL of the modules, you could run up a pretty stiff tab in a hurry.

Cool amp!

Bill
        When you've had budget guitars for a number of years, you may find that your old instrument is holding you back. A quality guitar can inspire you to write great songs, improve your understanding of the Gdim chord while in the Lydian Mode, cure the heartbreak of cystic acne--and help you find true love in the process.

Comment

Thanks Bill :-)

I can see from the attachement that they (100W and 60W)have been advertised at the same time, and probably in the mid 80's :-)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2015-02-04 at 13.20.42.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	30.4 KB
ID:	5784109

Comment

I have made a small recording of the 60W Convertible. I do not have the best recording gear, but I did it anyway :-P

Comment

Hi. I am in Uk and have this combo. I bought it off a mate for £400 back in early 90s. I think he had got it new for £800 in the late 80s. I think the dollar was about half a Uk pound back then but also guitars and amps were a bit cheaper in the States. I have schematics for the c60 and have made a load of the preamp modules plus resurrected the amp several times. Thanks. Tom

Comment

I have a SD Convertible 100 combo amp that I bought in the late 80's from a musician friend of mine for $750.00 and I still use that same amp today. It's all about the maintenance. I re-capped it after 10 years of use and changed the tubes every year. I use EH tubes in the preamp (12AU7-12AX7-12AU7) and JJs in the modules. I like the JJ EL34s which mine has four of them (hence the 100 watts). This amp design was way ahead of it's time.

Comment

Hello Convertible 60w users, I have just bought one in very good condition, but I suspect the reverb tank being non original. It sounds quite bad, and I wonder what kind of reverb tank was originally there. Mine is a OC electronics Folded Line type 59.

Comment

Originally posted by gibs0n View Post
                    Seems like no one remember this amp :-D
                    They might have only been made for a short period of time then! ....in the 80's
                    I remember them! We had a bunch of the modules and several of them in the shop I ran back in the late 80's. Can't remember the pricing but they were not cheap. Really good sounding amps and played with a bunch of the different modules. Been 30 plus years though so a lot of the details are a little fuzzy.
                    Guitars
                    Kiesel DC 135, Carvin AE 185, DC 400, DC 127 KOA, DC 127 Quilt Purple, X220C, PRS Custom 24, Washburn USA MG 122 proto , MG 102, MG 120.
                    Amps PRS Archon 50 head, MT 15, Mesa Subway Rocket, DC-5, Carvin X50B Hot Rod Mod head, Zinky 25watt Blue Velvet combo.

Comment

Originally posted by Grifo View Post
                      Hello Convertible 60w users, I have just bought one in very good condition, but I suspect the reverb tank being non original. It sounds quite bad, and I wonder what kind of reverb tank was originally there. Mine is a OC electronics Folded Line type 59.
                      Hey did you ever find out? My convertible 100 has an O.C. elec 16” reverb tank, marked 460. I can’t find anything on the web about them. I measured the input at 1.5ohm and output at 180ohm dc resistance. Any tank I see now is nowhere near them. I’m trying to find a suitable reverb tank for this amp and not even Seymour Duncan support can tell me. Anyone else know?

Comment

Originally posted by Topsp33d View Post
                        Hey did you ever find out? My convertible 100 has an O.C. elec 16” reverb tank, marked 460. I can’t find anything on the web about them. I measured the input at 1.5ohm and output at 180ohm dc resistance. Any tank I see now is nowhere near them. I’m trying to find a suitable reverb tank for this amp and not even Seymour Duncan support can tell me. Anyone else know?
                        You called the factory and they didn't know? While we don't get many Convertible owners on here these days, I am surprised the factory couldn't or didn't look this up.
                        Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Actually I just never received an answer from them. Maybe they are still looking into it. Their support is overwhelmed at the moment it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by Topsp33d View Post
                            Actually I just never received an answer from them. Maybe they are still looking into it. Their support is overwhelmed at the moment it seems.
                            Well, they were closed for over 2 months, and are just getting back to re-opening the factory. I'd call, and you have a better chance of an answer.
                            Administrator of the SDUGF

Comment

Working...
                            X