banner

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why Aren't there More Female Guitar Players, Especially Electric?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Why Aren't there More Female Guitar Players, Especially Electric?

Originally posted by treyhaislip View Post
    I agree, you'd think there would be a lot more female guitarists. I really liked Rebecca Barlow's tone and Jess Lewis is amazing...but can't really think of other female electric guitar players...

What about Aleks Sever and Gretchen Menn? Those ladies can play.
    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

Originally posted by Red_Label View Post
      AMEN!!!

BTW... I have two daughters who both play several musical instruments. I like to think that I've played and instrumental (pun intended) in their desire to pursue their musical dreams. But it was NEVER about equalization of numbers, gender or anything else outside the fact that we all LOVE music and we love to make music. I wish and hope for them the best with whatever goals they may have... but I don't lose sleep at night worrying about the way to their dreams being barred by any gender barrier. Life is too short to live inside the walls of victimhood.

I know parents of severely-handicapped children who raised their children with NO walls around them, treating them NO different than any other kid (as far as realistically possible). Those kids are the most "normal" kids. They've fully integrated into society and done their best to live the same lives as everyone else. Sheltering them, and raising them as if they were different would have done them NO favors. This does not mean that I don't think that we should examine our surroundings, motivations, etc as human beings and make small adjustments where they may be warranted. But we should NEVER think of ourselves as victims, helpless to change our course or lot in life. Once you become a victim... you lose power and place it in the hands of others. Historical figures of greatness had the fortitude and will-power to hammer through the walls placed before them. No barriers were going to keep them from their goals.
      Yep - and that's the natural way.

If nature declares more men than women play guitar, then so be it. Doesn't mean women can't take up guitar playing and be good at it.
      But if there's a majority of men playing guitars, then it is what it is. No one is forcing women to not play (at least in the Western world),
      so it is most definitely a natural preference thing.

If nature declares more women give birth than men, then so be it. Men can cry and whine about it all they want. hahah

Contrary to what all the degenerate, f-tarded social engineers keep feeding us... men and women are not exactly the same.

How boring it would be if they were.

Comment

This trend (increasing female percentages) I think may be evident in many more fields. I was in a computer programming event and they said they plan to recruit 1,000,000 women as programmers in the EU cause there aren't many at the present time. I am sure in the US it is the same, since most trends come from there. So this is not an isolated phenomenon.

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
          What about Aleks Sever and Gretchen Menn? Those ladies can play.
          I haven't heard of them–but I will check them out!

Comment

I think a lot of it has to do that a lot of electric guitar music isn't particularly attractive to women for whatever reason. Probably as it's generally not very danceable and have lyrics that don't really speak to the female psyche.
            Most girls I dated were into Tori Amos and Fiona Apple type stuff and played piano. That or just dance music and played nothing.

There used to be some female punk bands around here (probably due to Riot Grrrlll bands like Babes in Toyland etc.), but it's been some time since I've seen a female player anywhere else but on youtube.

Comment

It's weird - especially when you see a lot of great female orchestral string players. I figure it's mostly cultural and will slowly shift (already has a bit in my lifetime).
              Last edited by DankStar; 02-11-2015, 12:35 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by LLL View Post
                Yep - and that's the natural way.

If nature declares more men than women play guitar, then so be it. Doesn't mean women can't take up guitar playing and be good at it.
                But if there's a majority of men playing guitars, then it is what it is. No one is forcing women to not play (at least in the Western world),
                so it is most definitely a natural preference thing.

If nature declares more women give birth than men, then so be it. Men can cry and whine about it all they want. hahah

Contrary to what all the degenerate, f-tarded social engineers keep feeding us... men and women are not exactly the same.

How boring it would be if they were
                WERD!!!

I like women just the way they are thank you!!!
                "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

http://www.soundcloud.com/jwflamenco

Comment

Originally posted by DankStar View Post
                  It's weird - especially when you see a lot of great female orchestral string players. I figure it's mostly cultural and will slowly shift (already has a bit in my lifetime).
                  Actually not as it's a completely different scene. Everything's already written down and has to be performed exactly as is. When you plug in your guitar all you'll have is buzzing feeding back planck of wood.
                  I could never read as well as those people could during music class (not even remotely close), but they couldn't come up with some music of the top of their head and just improvise for some reason. Very different mindsets.

Comment

Originally posted by elelpe View Post
                    Well, most often women has to be twice as good as men to be noticed.
                    I don't think that's true at all. The fact that a woman is playing an electric guitars, especially lead guitar, gets people's attention. She doesn't have to play better than the guys do. If she keeps up with them, the crowds love it. I've seen a few female lead guitarists at the Florida blues festivals I go to, and they are invariably well-received. In the blues world, there's no stigma to being female. They're warmly welcomed, as they should be.
                    "Completely Conceded Glowing Expert."
                    "And Blueman, I am pretty sure you've pissed off a lot of people."
                    "Wait, I know! Blueman and Lew can arm wrestle, and the winner gets to decide if 250K pots sound good or not."

Comment

I'm not aware of the cultural norm that suggested women should not play electric guitar. It seems to me that they weren't too interested in loud, amplified guitars from day one.

Comment

Originally posted by blueman335 View Post
                        I don't think that's true at all. The fact that a woman is playing an electric guitars, especially lead guitar, gets people's attention. She doesn't have to play better than the guys do. If she keeps up with them, the crowds love it. I've seen a few female lead guitarists at the Florida blues festivals I go to, and they are invariably well-received. In the blues world, there's no stigma to being female. They're warmly welcomed, as they should be.
                        THIS IS VERY TRUE!!!

There are plenty of pedestrian female musicians in rock/country/blues bands who have been noticed BECAUSE they are female. In fact, my oldest daughter has been playing bass for a while. I've told her and her younger sister, "keep working at that and get good... you'll be able to pick and choose your band because chick bass players are a hot commodity".
                        "Always remember... all you do in life, comes back to you" - Roy Kahn, formerly of Kamelot, during the intro to "Karma" on their One Cold Winter's Night DVD

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
                          I'm not aware of the cultural norm that suggested women should not play electric guitar. It seems to me that they weren't too interested in loud, amplified guitars from day one.
                          Ever been to a U2 concert? I don't think they're afraid of loud guitars.

Comment

Ever been to a U2 concert? I don't think they're afraid of loud guitars.
                            We're not talking about listening to guitars here. Regardless of semantics, my point still stands that there hasn't been a time when society said it was inappropriate for girls to play electric guitar in the way it said it was inappropriate for women to work, or vote, or enlist, etc. Their disinterest in playing electric guitar seems to be inherent.
                            Last edited by DreX; 02-11-2015, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
                              I agree with this as well. Most/many boys/men are attracted to things that are noisy and vibrate. Whether it be guitars, hot-rods, guns, etc. I've always been attracted to walls of speaker cabs and the resultant thunder, rumble, and over-powering fire hose of sound that they generate. For many years now, I've gone into the man cave nightly, donned the ear plugs, and fired-up at least a pair of half stacks for my solo, daily practice. Sure, there are nights that I pick up the steel or nylon string acoustic and explore my quieter side. But so much of the time, I want to FEEL the music pounding me in the chest. That's what really moves me. The same way that a top-fuel dragster moves a car guy. Or power tools move a wood-worker. Etc, etc, etc. There are females who are drawn to these things... but the percentage is FAR smaller than with males. I don't believe that this is 100% conditioning. I believe that there are naturally occuring traits in males that attract them to activities that don't draw-in most females. There are NO doubt biological reasons for this. But regardless... it is what it is. I don't see the travesty. And hey... outside of dealing with diva-esque female (and MALE!) singers... I don't mind playing in bands with female members one bit! It's not a "good ole boys club" for me.

Comment

I highly doubt women go to a U2 show for the riffs. Could be wrong though

Comment

Working...
                                X