X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: making cheap guitars awesome

Original Guitar:
    $50 Craigslist Chinese Squier Tele. The ceramic bridge pickup wasn't bad, but it lacked definition. The guitar came with 500K pots which was an odd choice for a Tele. The top loading Squier bridge sucked because the intonation screws bound the strings and the string angle was awkward for changing strings.

Modifications:
    Changed wiring from modern to 50's. Enlarged the neck route to fit a mini-humbucker. The string through body bridge I bought was also too small so I had to enlarge the pickup hole to fit the pickup. I ruined my first Vintage Noiseless because the bobbin rubbed against the baseplate and it shorted the coils. Stupid engineering move by Fender so buyer beware!

I started out with a 250K volume which was too dark for the neck mini, so I went with a 500K volume pot instead. The Vintage Noiseless bridge was a bit bright with the 500K pot, so I ran a 1M resistor in parallel with the pot so it sees a 333K load. I also switched the tone over to a 250K pot with a .022 capacitor. The neck mini was still a bit dark with a 500K pot so I put a .015 capacitor bass trap on the hot lead to balance it better with the bridge. I also drilled the body to accept ferrules which improved string loading and tone.

Parts changed:
    6 saddle string through bridge.
    Fender Vintage Noiseless bridge.
    Ferrules.
    GFS 3 ply pickguard.
    GFS hot mini neck.

Parts on order:
    Fender Malmsteen brass nut.
    Roller string trees.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by idsnowdog; 02-12-2015, 07:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DreX View Post
      I stated that I agree with #6
      Then I shall retract my statement, and re-word it accordionly.

You seem to disagree with about 95% of what everyone else says and agrees with.

Is it lonely up there by yourself?

???

Comment

Originally posted by Muffleberry View Post
        Then I shall retract my statement, and re-word it accordionly.

You seem to disagree with about 95% of what everyone else says and agrees with.

Is it lonely up there by yourself?

???
        This is totally a worthwhile direction to take this thread in. I'll tell you why I seem to disagree a lot: because posting "yeah, me too! I agree!" is generally lame, substanceless small talk for people who have a need to communicate for the sake of communication, to remedy their own loneliness perhaps. I'm here to have conversations of substance about all things electric guitars. The fact that I only post in about 5% of the overall threads posted means that I agree with roughly 95% of everything that is written. I can't fathom how cheap your time must be to even justify this line of inquiry.

Comment

This is totally a worthwhile direction to take this thread in. I'll tell you why I seem to disagree a lot: because posting "yeah, me too! I agree!" is generally lame, substanceless small talk for people who have a need to communicate for the sake of communication, to remedy their own loneliness perhaps. I'm here to have conversations of substance about all things electric guitars. The fact that I only post in about 5% of the overall threads posted means that I agree with roughly 95% of everything that is written. I can't fathom how cheap your time must be to even justify this line of inquiry.
          Soundcloud

Comment

Protip: if you don't want an answer, don't ask a question.

Comment

Soundcloud

Comment

Hey man, you win!

I bow down to your superior intellect. Any original thought that I may have had, you just
                threw out the window, and you are the supreme ruler.

Go on with yo bad self, bro!

Comment

I'm glad you could clarify that, ohhh great leader...

Comment

Thanks! and appreciate your unpromted insults, friend.

Comment

Thanks! and appreciate your unpromted insults, friend.
                      Did you report me for that?

I think you are awesome, bro. I don't understand why you are arguing with me.

You win!

Comment

Originally posted by Muffleberry View Post
                        Did you report me for that?

I did not, friend.

Comment

One reason one might upgrade a cheaper guitar is a situation like the one I have right now. My girlfriend recently bought me an Epiphone G400 in worn brown. I love the way it looks, and I have big plans for it. I could never, ever sell this guitar, so I plan to upgrade everything on it and make it my #1. Its actually a surprisingly good axe for the money, but will be even better after I upgrade the pickups (the rest of the electronics except for the jack seem solid, but the volume knobs will eventually be replaced with push/pulls), the bridge and stop tail, and a good fret level/crown. Most of my guitars are cheap guitars anyway, if the wood sounds good, it makes me happier to have something I have modded and made perfect for me.

Comment

Tweaking and modding stock and less expensive equipment of many different natures is quintessential to the American spirit. I like to personalize stuff, no matter how good, just so I don't sound exactly like everyone else on the block. I own several low to mid value instruments and I've modded all of them to one extent or another. Even if I ever get a high dollar instrument, I will still mod it if it doesn't come to me exactly how I want it. That would be: good wood or synthetic body and neck, Freeway switch or Triple Shot rings, TonePro or Khaler bridge (depending), Duncan, Lace or Dimarzio (or a combination thereof) pickups, Graphtec string saddles and nut, Grover locking tuning machines.

Comment

Wow.. who's really the lonely one here?
                              I can introduce to my old best friend stratman if you like?

Comment

This is my cheap modder charvel charvette. It cost me $50 to buy

The neck is twisted and the frets are all worn out so i have plans to mod a neck i have here. It's a long term project btw but i am hoping it will look a bit like this ****ty mock up i did.

Comment

Working...
                                X