Forum design vote #6 (Choose wisely)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forum design vote #6 (Choose wisely)

Time for the big choice. Zebro or a Hybrid. Either will be available as a set. Both will fit a humbucker rout.

The candidates.

1. Zebro is a split coil design like a Pbass pickup. It will combine single coil aspects with hum cancelling. The voicing will be based on a P90, aggressive, full, great harmonics.

2. The hybrid concept is based on getting a good hybrid pickup in the neck position to pair with the 59/Custom. It will be made as a original set, the voicing starts with the 59/Custom but will have more upper mid focus, more controlled bass, cleaner, clearer. It will still have the hybrid complexity.
    Zebro
    50.00%
    Hybrid
    50.00%

The poll is expired.

Re: Forum design vote #6 (Choose wisely)

I already know which one I'd like to own, but I'm curious. Any idea on the pricing difference? I'm assuming the Zebro design will be inherently more expensive to produce and thus more expensive for us.

Comment

I voted Zebro, but mostly because I want to hear it in parallel rather than series. I have a guitar in mind for it already.

Originally posted by DarkMatter View Post
      full, great harmonics.
      Is that really the sort of thing you can promise before the fact?

I think often these terms are at odds, full = a lot of fundamental, great harmonics = a lot of harmonics, or is that in reference to it's ability to deliver pinch harmonics (which seems to correlate with the degree of output at the typical pinch harmonic frequencies)? I wouldn't say the StraBro 90 has especially great harmonics in full mode, but tap it, and the balance of power flips completely.
      Last edited by DreX; 02-18-2015, 12:39 PM.

Comment

When I say full, I'm speaking in terms of broad frequency response. It should not be lacking in bass, mids, or highs.

But I cannot promise anything.

Comment

This is a tough decision.
          Soundcloud

Comment

I believe a better term for "full" would simply mean a prevelant midrange in the EQ (I'm pretty much positive that is what the Zebro crowd has been unanimously asking for). That alone is independent from Fundamental vs Harmonics. It is very possible to have a lot of midrange and harmonics, like the JB. This is just going for more of a P90 character, which does not contradict the goal of harmonics.

Comment

Not lacking in highs, mids or bass is often described as "balanced", but this is what we get for eschewing technical terminology and specifications in the aftermarket pickup world. I just hope the pickup has a double helping of pixie dust sprinkled upon the bobbin prior to scatter winding.

Comment

Double dose of pixie dust never hurts.

Comment

I'm not going to argue.

Comment

Originally posted by Swyse View Post
                    I already know which one I'd like to own, but I'm curious. Any idea on the pricing difference? I'm assuming the Zebro design will be inherently more expensive to produce and thus more expensive for us.
                    I have no idea what the numbers will be, but it is a safe assumption that the Zebro would cost more due to the custom fabrication requirements.

Comment

As cool as the hybrid idea is, at the end of the day I am pretty satisfied with the 'Duncan humbuckers I have. Zebro gets my vote.

Comment

Sorry for the probably dumb question but how would the zebro mount? Would it have to be mounted like a pbass pickup? Or would it be kind of like a wide range humbucker but obviously just the 2 split coils.
                        Originally posted by dg27
                        Salad plates are aerodynamically more effective than dinner plates, which are too heavy.

Comment

^ It will mount just like a normal humbucker. Most likely, it will have a standard humbucker baseplate and a cover.

Should look like this
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	22.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	85.3 KB
ID:	5784310

Comment

zebro.

Comment

I haven't payed attention the the forum design threads for a while, but it looks like you guys have something similar (architecture wise) to the pickup I just built, albeit with a bar magnet instead of rod magnets.

I'm voting for the zebro, as its much more fresh design around here instead of a hybrid, which can be done with some solder skills and a screwdriver.

Comment

Working...
                              X