No announcement yet.

Forum design vote #6 (Choose wisely)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Forum design vote #6 (Choose wisely)

Originally posted by DeathMetalRob View Post
    IF it's a hybrid, does that mean that choices from existing models would be used or would we go from scratch for that..?

I know I've turned up late in the day for this but, yeah.
    The hybrid wording was just used as a simpler way to say "humbucker with mismatched coils, but with whatever specs the custom shop deems appropriate" It was assumed it wouldn't be production coils, but if thats what the custom shop thinks would work best thats what we might end up with. The idea for the set was "voicing starts with the 59/Custom but will have more upper mid focus, more controlled bass, cleaner, clearer. It will still have the hybrid complexity."

Comment

Originally posted by Swyse View Post
      The hybrid wording was just used as a simpler way to say "humbucker with mismatched coils, but with whatever specs the custom shop deems appropriate" It was assumed it wouldn't be production coils, but if thats what the custom shop thinks would work best thats what we might end up with. The idea for the set was "voicing starts with the 59/Custom but will have more upper mid focus, more controlled bass, cleaner, clearer. It will still have the hybrid complexity."
      After all I've read this paragraph "seems" to put it all together. What output would be loud enough to make everyone, for the most part, happy, but still have the ability to clean up well. Above 10K and it is hard to get back to any thing clean (talking bridge pup), but 7-8K clean up great but don't have the oomph to to really snarl. I know many things go into the stew to make the meal a great one, but the output, in general, really does seem like a factor that is a constant, when it comes to cleaning up, no matter what else is used. What say you, Mr. Swyse? I would very much be interested in your answer/opinion.
      Thank you,
      SJ

Comment

Originally posted by SJ318 View Post
        After all I've read this paragraph "seems" to put it all together. What output would be loud enough to make everyone, for the most part, happy, but still have the ability to clean up well. Above 10K and it is hard to get back to any thing clean (talking bridge pup), but 7-8K clean up great but don't have the oomph to to really snarl. I know many things go into the stew to make the meal a great one, but the output, in general, really does seem like a factor that is a constant, when it comes to cleaning up, no matter what else is used. What say you, Mr. Swyse? I would very much be interested in your answer/opinion.
        Thank you,
        SJ
        I really like the space the original 59/custom hybrid sits in at around 11.5k. Its hard to please everyone, but I think that is a good place to start. I believe it may likely need a bit less output to achieve the goals of "cleaner and clearer", but that is for the custom shop to work out.

For background reference, I'm on the end of the spectrum that likes a hot bridge pickup, I currently have a custom and a distortion in the bridges of my duncan loaded guitars. Even though I like them hot, I like the versatility the "medium output" 11.5k original 59/custom hybrid provides, while still having enough oomph to push an amp.

Comment

tl;dr

Only read the first and last pages. But I have to cast a vote on this zebro thingy. A split-coil design would be awesome. Specially if the treble side is closer to the neck, while the bass side is farther. That would make the treble strings sound rounder and thicker and the bass strings sound clearer and more defined.

Comment

I've started a new discussion thread for the upcoming re-vote. Zebro construction updates are included.

Comment

Originally posted by Swyse View Post
              I went for a '78/'59 Hybrid. For me it's a brilliant pickup that handles just about everything but, that's only my opinion. There maybe no difference between either pickup or a difference that is too small to hear (meaning there was no point making it)

The reason I say this is that it sound that the design put out by this forum sounds like a '78/'59 Hybrid with an A8 magnet although, that is just a projection.
              Anything is possible, just not always advisable...

Comment

Originally posted by DeathMetalRob View Post
                I went for a '78/'59 Hybrid. For me it's a brilliant pickup that handles just about everything but, that's only my opinion. There maybe no difference between either pickup or a difference that is too small to hear (meaning there was no point making it)

The reason I say this is that it sound that the design put out by this forum sounds like a '78/'59 Hybrid with an A8 magnet although, that is just a projection.
                Did you have a 59/78 made, Rob? Sounds pretty killer!

Comment

Working...
                X