No announcement yet.

Forum design vote #6 (Choose wisely)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Forum design vote #6 (Choose wisely)

^ it will be a bit different due to using half bobbins. Also the bar magnet is not a given but probably the best way to P90 like tones.

Comment

Originally posted by DarkMatter View Post
      ^ it will be a bit different due to using half bobbins. Also the bar magnet is not a given but probably the best way to P90 like tones.
      Oh cool. I can't think of any Duncans that currently have half sized bobbins...would a custom bobbin mold need to be made then?

Comment

They will probably cut the middle out of humbucker bobbins or make them with flatwork like a strat pickup. A new mold would be way too expensive and time consuming.

Comment

I am finding it difficult to vote.
          sigpic
          Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
          JFG Flying V,
          "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
          John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

They will probably cut the middle out of humbucker bobbins or make them with flatwork like a strat pickup. A new mold would be way too expensive and time consuming.
            I might be wrong with this, however I'm NOT having high hopes for this design.

I see it as a solution looking for a problem; the exact opposite of "form follow function".

But don't mind me. I'm just a grumpy old man.

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post

I see it as a solution looking for a problem; the exact opposite of "form follow function".

I think I get what you are trying to say.. and you know what it has helped me to choose .
              sigpic
              Ibanez SA 120- Bridge JB Trembucker Neck Jazz
              JFG Flying V,
              "If you hear something you're unable to play, then you have room to grow."-Al Di Meola
              John 8:32 Then you will know the truth, and the truth will set you free."

Comment

This is a close one.

Comment

Originally posted by LtKojak View Post

The problem is that it doesn't exist yet.

Comment

I think the 2 choices would make one hell of a set.
                    I want more me in my tone.

Comment

Forgive me if this is like lobbying too close to the polling place (I can delete if anyone has a problem), but here's why i've voted for the Zebro's:
                      1. It's a unique and interesting pickup design that addresses a thin spot in SD's lineup (HB sized p90) while adding something new (hum canceling)
                      2. Based on the success of the StraBro90's, I trust that it'll sound great. There are similarities in construction with the small ceramic helper mags.
                      3. It's now been through the forum pickup gauntlet twice and this design has garnered a lot of interest. It won't be another Fuglybucker.
                      4. I don't think it's as risky a design as people have been concerned about. To quote DarkMatter, quoting Frank Falbo, addressing concerns earlier in the process on the Zebro's magnet:

I was wrong about the magnets in a split design.

Here is what Frank said;
                      "MJ has made plenty of Z-Coil replacement pickups out of Alnico Strat rods. I have a G&L Comanche and am pretty well versed in those pickups. A split Alnico pole "Z-style in a humbucker mount" would be a great pickup. If you wanted to make it sound a little more P90-ish you could have one center magnet spanning the entire width and two flanking magnets each covering 3 strings. You wouldn't want the flanking magnets to span the entire length because with no return path the magnets would fight one another and it would be total flux chaos."

Later he added this;
                      "I think the best fake single coil sounds from the Z format have been rod magnets. There's the ones MJ has done, and PRS had a Fralin design on a CE bolt neck that were great too.

But you're right, if the attempt was to make something with a P90 flavor it would be base magnets and poles. If it were me? I'd do 3 screw poles and half a keeper bar on the bass side, and 3 slugs on the treble side. Each of them shortie bobbins. That way you'd have meatier treble strings, and a little more twang on the bass strings. And guess what you could do? Flip it around if you wanted the reverse.

Due to dimensional limitations of Alnico, you'd probably be stuck with ceramic. But with a small enough ceramic, one that matched the gauss strength of an Alnico center magnet, you could create a stable magnetic circuit with Alnico down the middle and small ceramic flanking magnets. Wheee-YOW!!"
                      Correct me if I'm wrong here, but Frank worked on the P-Rails when he was at SD.
                      This discussion is what got me and a lot of others excited about the first vote on Zebro's as the forum pickup. Back then it was called the Zed-90, but Zebro is a better name for it, heheh.
                      Last edited by mxmann; 02-21-2015, 04:06 PM. Reason: formatting and legibility

Comment

Man, I like my Fuglys in my Schecter.

Comment

Originally posted by Grenade View Post
                          Man, I like my Fuglys in my Schecter.
                          Hehehe - no disrespect to the Fuglys in your avatar pic. I meant that I think there will be plenty of demand for the Zebro based on the interest in it from both last and this year's forum pickup votes.

iirc, the Fuglybucker process resulted in a pickup that not many people felt they could use, due to the size & unique bezels. When it came time to buy, I don't know how many people bought them...

Comment

[QUOTE=mxmann;3779350]Forgive me if this is like lobbying too close to the polling place (I can delete if anyone has a problem), but here's why i've voted for the Zebro's:
                            /QUOTE]

So long as it remains civil and respectful, I see nothing wrong with making a case for or against either option.

Comment

It's cool, I like them so much I got a second set. Like I said earlier though, I think these 2 choices would make a great sounding set.

Comment

Lets do both!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X