No announcement yet.

Forum design vote #6 (Choose wisely)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Forum design vote #6 (Choose wisely)

Originally posted by DarkMatter View Post
    Having feedback from the Custom Shop is a great idea at this point. I'll prepare an email tomorrow. What questions do you all have? I was going to ask about general feasibility and potential price differences. What else?
    I'd be curious to know how much different this will sound compared to the StrBro 90, since to a large extent the Zebro seems to be a StraBro 90 sawn in half and offset with itself. The thing about the StraBro 90 is that it has a much lower resonant peak than an actual P-90, it's a seriously dark pickup. If they say it will be largely the same with respect to tone, or wind count and what not, I'll have less faith in the design. I'd probably buy a couple anyway and try parallel wiring, but I prefer variable splitting since you can get a good "in between" sound, and that's not possible with series vs parallel wiring.

Comment

I must say this. About the Zebro-
      People say "turn the offset pickup around if you don't like the tone. That is impossible. The 3 high on the bass side and 3 low on the high strings would be the same if you turned it around. No amount of turning or "flipping" that 3 up/3 down will ever change it to 3 down on the low strings and 3 up on the high strings.
      People keep saying that. It is not a Rubic's Cube. Keep that in mind when you vote. I am not pushing anyone one way or the other, just saying, the picture shown of the offset 3/3 will always look that way if think it will change by flipping. It won't.
      Thank you.
      SJB
      Last edited by SJ318; 02-24-2015, 02:35 AM.

Comment

I thought that was in reference to 3 screws and 3 slugs... Which I personally would not think would look great. (like the strabro90) I think the point was you could adjust some tonality that way. Personally I am hoping cosmetically it would look like a Fralin p-92

Comment

I've sent communication to the Custom Shop.

The open vote was something I had thought about for later when I would ask who will buy this. I don't think voter fraud is an issue here as it's still so close, but we can redo this vote and make it public after we get some more information... just in case.

Comment

I'd say the Zebro because, a nice P-90-sounding humbucker is something I could really use. I don't care about neck buckers all that much. Going GFS for the neck on my next setup because I barely use it.

That said, a slightly lower output, rangier, still mismatched Custom/Hybrid would appeal to me. Maybe in A2, A3, or A4. It could help fill in the mid-output lineup.

Comment

Originally posted by ItsaBass View Post
              The way I think about the whole thing, this is not about making something different; it's about making something good. Tone is the aim here.
              I would REALLY like to be with you on this man but I can't, just can't and the reason is that no-one that is saying this actually bothered with the FuglyBucker BECAUSE of its' looks.

I've been playing my FB-equipped guitar again yesterday and was, again, floored by how great it sounds with 'em, yet, I am only one out of five or six people that think so because most chose to steer clear of 'em, not because of how they sounded (which is freakin' brilliant) but of how they look.

If we go the ZeBro way I fully expect there'll be lobbying for their look to be somehow covered so that they appear more like a typical humbucker. My money is on literal covering as in, metal covers (which I never use).
              Don't be surprised either if some will suggest them being normal HB covers with dummy screws for the three unused holes...
              Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
              I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
              Originally posted by That90'sGuy
              Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

I don't think the Fuglybucker is fugly. I think it didn't sell because crispness and clarity don't always work as a pickup selling point.

Comment

Yes except it was the very first decision we made and at the time most people were on board with it.
                  Plus, I cannot stress enough how great the neck pickup sounds (I love it split) and how well the bridge works for both mid-output usages as well as high-output ones provided the amp can compensate for the lower output of the pickup itself.

I loved the pickups I originally had on that guitar (a Suhr Doug Aldrich in the neck and a Tom Anderson H3 in the bridge) and still I feel the FuglyBuckers are an even better match for her. I honestly love 'em in her!
                  Originally posted by Blue_Fingers_Jay
                  I prefer cheaper guitars, nothing is as cool as a cheap guitar that sounds awesome.
                  Originally posted by That90'sGuy
                  Not all guitars are created equal, so make sure it sings and if it does, you'd be silly to pass it up.

Comment

I'm primarily a rock Strat player. I use DiMarzio Areas all the time. A really nice offset P-90 would be awesome for my humbucker guitar. The great thing about noiseless singles is that you may not like any of them, but each one is a little different. A lot of them will stand on their own if you're not chasing a stereotyped tone. Vintage Rails, Areas, Injectors, P-92s, G&L Z-Coils, various Bill Lawrence designs, etc. = cool. Zebro would be awesome and could look super cool too. There's a lot of room for a nice humbucker-sized noiseless P-90. The Fralins have a real Fralin flavor, so a Duncan alternative would be nice. Why not encourage the Custom Shop to go to work on something where options are really lacking in the market.

Comment

Well the zebro is in the lead. Cool beans. It looks like even if we have to do a second poll asking if either party would buy the pickup they didn't vote for, we'd probably still pick the zebro. Schweet
                      Custom neck-thru strat
                      1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                      1995 PRS CE24
                      D'avanzo #8
                      Breedlove Solo Concert
                      1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                      1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                      1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                      Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Originally posted by Agileguy_101 View Post
                        Well the zebro is in the lead. Cool beans.
                        A one vote lead out of 67 is pretty weak...
                        "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                        you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

When I posted there were less votes for the hybrid.
                          Custom neck-thru strat
                          1989 MIJ 1962 RI Strat
                          1995 PRS CE24
                          D'avanzo #8
                          Breedlove Solo Concert
                          1996 USA Dean Baby Z
                          1991 40th Anniversary Les Paul
                          1968 Fender Bassman, Egnater SW45, Mesa Mark IIB Coliseum, Mesa ElectraDyne 1x12 Combo, Avatar 4x12, Mesa half back 4x12 Earcandy 2x12
                          Roland RE-201 Space Echo, 70's Fender Reverb Unit

Comment

Gotcha.. apparently its see sawing a bit... when I went to work this morning hybrids had the lead by 1 vote...
                            "It keeps you fit - the alcohol, nasty women, sweat on stage, bad food - it's all very good for you." -Bon Scott

"Let me put it this way: the 5150 will treat
                            you better than any girlfriend, because it screams louder, it's easier to pick up, and it shuts up when you take your plug out." -Rip Glitter

Comment

Dead tie. Holy moly.

Comment

Ooo I am still yet to vote. Anybody want to pay me to sway the vote either way? Na honestly i don't mind which one wins hence the as of yet no vote
                                our first drummer died in a bizzare gardening accident!

I won't dance in a club like this,
                                'Cause all the girls are sluts,
                                And the beer tastes just like piss.

Comment

Working...
                                X