No announcement yet.

Busted Reverb, Busted Hand, Help!!!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Busted Reverb, Busted Hand, Help!!!!!!!

Hi, so I just bought a barely used VOX AC-30, by barely used I mean the guy bought it for about 14 hours & returned it. So I know this is coming in Friday & I hear the truck pull up, so I put on my shoes & coat to go outside & what do I see but the dumbass U.P.S. driver flipping my amp, that had @least 12 FRAGILE signs on it, end over end up my driveway through the snow! So after stopping myself from slapping him & spending the night in jail I called U.P.S., not because of any damage @ this point mind you but because I could not believe they would do that to any package! So she says how sorry she is & about a hour later the district manager called me & he said how sorry he was & not to worry, they would make any problems right. I told them both that it's a valve amp & I'd have to wait 2-3 hours for it to get up to room temp before plugging it in. So, the hours pass & its time! I try the normal CH 1st, sounds great! Then the top boost, also great! Then I move on to the tremolo, it works great & by this point I'm feeling good about this thing until the very last thing to check, the reverb, I hit it & nothing? So I check the sends & returns, nothing? When I tapped on the tank you could hear the springs a tiny bit but hardly @ all? Now when I call UPS back they almost instantly start to blame the seller. By this time I had also contacted him, I didn't think it would be right not to tell him what I had seen just hours before? Nice guy finish last I guess? So now they are pointing the finger @ each other & I've just accepted that this is now my problem. So around 9:00 I was frustrated & tired so I fell asleep on the couch for about 2 hours. When I woke my hand was numb? I thought it was the way I slept so I went back to sleep thinking it would be alright in the a.m.? 2 days pass & my hand is still useless, I go to the E.R. & they tell me I have Acute Radial Nerve Palsy, so 2 hours of sleep has cost me my dominant hand for months, perhaps forever? I guess I'm looking for a few things out of this post, one if anyone has any ideas on what I should do to try & fix my reverb please leave as much info as possible! Also I needed to vent some, nobody seems to understand why I'm so upset about this stuff with my hand, I thought some other musicians might get it? Over the past few years I've collected some beautiful amps, guitars, & other effects/gear & it's turned my home into a music museum of sorts. Its like putting a Crack head in a jail cell with a huge pile of goodies just out of reach! You know in your heart you cant reach it but you keep tiring even when it hurts you, just can't stop playing guitar? Then I think of the men & women who have lost whole limbs over these past 10-12 years of war & the amazing things they do afterwards, when you put it that way maybe I don't have it so bad? @least I've got better than a 50/50 chance of regaining use of my hand @ some point & a little hope?

Thanks Guys,
    Rob....

Re: Busted Reverb, Busted Hand, Help!!!!!!!

Sorry to hear what you've been going through. I hope the hand issue heals quickly. If I were you, I'd go to a Neurologist and a hand surgeon for second opinions. There may be alternative ways of dealing with it.

As for the amp. I'd just let a good tech fix the reverb and cut my losses. Sounds like you'ld be dealing with the seller and UPS for quite some time and probably get nowhere in the end.
    "Hello! My name is Inigo Montoya! You killed my father. Prepare to die!"

Comment

Real faint reverb

Easy

The four bolts that hold the tank down

Ease them out
      Look for the rubber spacers . You'll want to put them back between the tank and the cab floor

Lift tank and remove the shipping foam

Run screws back through the rubber spacers
      Do not over tighten the screws

The original packing manual would have said this
      But you probably didn't get that

*(Sent from my durned phone!)*
      EHD
      Just here surfing Guitar Pron
      RG2EX1 w/ SD hot-rodded pickups / RG4EXFM1 w/ Carvin S22j/b + FVN middle
      SR500 / Martin 000CE-1/Epiphone Hummingbird
      Epiphone Florentine with OEM Probuckers
      Ehdwuld branded Blue semi hollow custom with JB/Jazz
      Reptile Green Gibson Custom Studio / Aqua Dean Shire semi hollow with piezo
      Carvin Belair / Laney GC80A Acoustic Amp (a gift from Guitar Player Mag)
      GNX3000 (yea I'm a modeler)

Comment

Also, I would have lost my mind on the UPS guy and refused to sign for it after seeing that. Sorry to hear about your hand
        TOUQUE ROCK...EH???? I AM CANADIAN

Comment

I suffered acute radial nerve palsy about a year ago. It took about 9-12 or so weeks to recover but I got all function back in my left hand. I went to physical therapy about twice a week and did specific exercises just about every day. At first I was really scared that I'd never play again but after getting on a program of therapy I noticed tiny improvements almost every day and that made the process easier.

Comment

Thanks guys! I did feel around under the tank, just to see if there were springs hanging or anything, it kind of floats about an inch off the bottom of the cab? I didn't feel any shipping material, mind you I did it one handed, with my left arm & I wasn't looking for it? That's not something I would have thought of? You would think I would have felt something but the tank needs to come out & be inspected properly anyway? I had my lead guitarist come over the other night mostly so I could hear my gear, incidentally AC-30's FLIPPIN love Metal Muff's, & we took a voltage meter to the back prongs where the send & return go into the chassis. Its just the back of the send & return, it read 7.4 & then down at the ends of the cables we only got like 1.7-1.9? I think if I can't find the EZ solution I'll just bring it down south to a VOX service center? It sucks it's like a 3 hour drive, you ever see those Alaska shows? I live in a place just like that but we got a Walmart about 15yrs ago! LOL, but I talked to the guy today & his rates are fairly reasonable. I act. wouldn't mind having my Night Train 50 G1 head "tuned up" while I'm down there? I don't think it's running @ it's best, although it still kicks a$$, even on a bad day!!! It's just being a tube amp that's been lugged around & gigged? Anyway, I'm going to go try & teach my girlfriend how to remove a reverb tank! Should be fun, she didn't know how to put wiper fluid in her car until a month ago, SHE USE TO TAKE IT TO THE GARAGE??????

Thanks again for all the kind words!!!!!!!

Comment

Sorry about your arm. Seems like how you slept on the couch (arm up behind your head) is what did it. Crazy enough, same thing happened to Dave Mustaine and he's fine now. It takes time and therapy and not sleeping like that.

As for the amp, I would NOT give up in UPS. Who's to say that the carelessness of the driver didn't cause it? It might be a simple fix, it might not. If you know any amp tech buddies, have them at least take a look and give an estimate, then pass that on to UPS to get it paid for. Go up the chain if you have to. Careless handling is no excuse with an item like that.

Comment

Yea, I guess it's also called Saturday Night Palsy? Thleave me thoughe Doc. kept asking how much I drank & I kept telling him I didn't? They never be

Comment

Lets try that again, stupid left hand!!!-Yea, I guess it's also called Saturday Night Palsy? The Doc. kept asking how much I drank & I kept telling him I didn't? They never believe me though, I know I may look like I drink & god knows I've done my fair share of drugs before I was a dad but my kid is 10 now & I never drank? I didn't like the taste & it took too long to get a buzz! I was always more about instant gratification I guess, then they try to push narcotic pain killers on me a hour latter? After I told them I had a issue @ one point of course!!! I'm not even in any pain, it's completely numb??? So first they treat me like I'm looking for pills & then they got all snippy @ me when I refused to take them? Anyway, apparently, guys will get drunk & fall asleep with their arm over the back of a chair, putting pressure on the nerve for a lone period of time? This happened in a 3 hour period of time, I slept with my arms down but on top of my right one? At least that's what my girlfriend tells me? She came home around 11:30 & thought I'd just wake up on my own & go to bed, to me I fell asleep completely fine then a few hours later I woke up & my hand stopped working? It absolutely sucks but I really want to thank all of you for the words of encouragement!!! It's nice to hear that others have gone through this & came out fine. Now I just have to go through the next several weeks without going totally insane, luckily I'm not able to clime any clock towers!!! ;}

Comment

Working...
                  X